Class of 2016 - WR/S Sadiq Palmer (NJ) Verbal to UMass | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 WR/S Sadiq Palmer (NJ) Verbal to UMass

He's either qualified or he's not.

Does SU have the same standards as the NCAA? I don't know. Does Admissions place a limitation on how many borderline kids that the coaches can take every year? Probably. Is he not good enough on the field for the school to take that risk? Sounds like it.

I can tell you that that the bottom 25 percent at UMass, at least, is community college level or lower. It wouldn't surprise me if SU placed a limit on how many academic risks it was willing to take in any given year. No doubt, they'll take some kids that are totally unprepared for college. I know because I've met them. But those marginal students better wind up being stars.

Does SU have the same standards as the NCAA? I don't know. Does Admissions place a limitation on how many borderline kids that the coaches can take every year? Probably. Is he not good enough on the field for the school to take that risk? Sounds like it.

I can tell you that that the bottom 25 percent at UMass, at least, is community college level or lower. It wouldn't surprise me if SU placed a limit on how many academic risks it was willing to take in any given year. No doubt, they'll take some kids that are totally unprepared for college. I know because I've met them. But those marginal students better wind up being stars.

I believe there are different restrictions conference wise as well. I don't know enough of the details but I could have sworn I read that somewhere.

A lot of guys we had committed or were going after landed at UMASS after the staff changes. Take that for what you will, but i don't want to be playing in the same talent level as UMass

UCONN
UCONN
UMASS
UMASS
Georgia St.
Tulane

Kind of puts it in perspective.

tep624 said:
UCONN UCONN UMASS UMASS Georgia St. Tulane Kind of puts it in perspective.

It might say they aren't top recruits but I would read too much into that. This late in the game makes it tougher when scholies are close to full now.

It might say they aren't top recruits but I would read too much into that. This late in the game makes it tougher when scholies are close to full now.

I'm sure that has something to do with it too. I know they're scrambling and a lot of schools are full. Just surprised with our Northeast decommits that we don't see more activity out of Rutgers since they need bodies pretty badly in their class. BC too. Both of their classes are still fairly light numbers wise.

I saw Ginetti was visiting BC, so maybe they take a flier on him.

Most had enough time to explore other places that had room. Could be the case for one or two, but if they were good enough then there would be room.

SUFan44 said:
Most had enough time to explore other places that had room. Could be the case for one or two, but if they were good enough then there would be room.

Define good enough. Palmer may be good enough for a equal to SU offer but maybe those schools have 1 slot left for a WR but have 1-2 others equal to Palmer but whom they've recruited for a long time.

Define good enough. Palmer may be good enough for a equal to SU offer but maybe those schools have 1 slot left for a WR but have 1-2 others equal to Palmer but whom they've recruited for a long time.

This ^^^ Its all about team needs at specific positions. I know acknowledging the fact that these kids could play on other P5 programs screws up the anti-Shafer narrative but that ship has sailed can we just move on?

these kids have been available long enough and we all know that when there's a coaching change, the valued kids always start getting pinged by other schools. Shafer was canned in November. Nobody reached out to the Shafer recruits that Dino cut bait with. Nobody.

Other recruits have been contacted because during Dino's intverview on Sirius he mentioned having to 'put out fires over there' and 'over there'. Implied that people were trying to poach kids.

A lot of guys we had committed or were going after landed at UMASS after the staff changes. Take that for what you will, but i don't want to be playing in the same talent level as UMass

Yeah, but think about how excited UMASS is that we changed coaches?

They are FBS, so let's use this goodwill to lock up a 4 for 2 deal, 4 in the Dome, 2 in Foxboro.

Let’s compare. Shafer’s kids didn’t have enough time to be recruited by other schools but look at where Flood’s de-commits have ended up. And Flood was fired 2 weeks after Shafer?

Russo to Temple

Alex Barber to Penn State

Patrick Rene to North Carolina

Tymir Oliver to Illinois

Phil Campbell to Pitt

Elias Reynolds to Pitt

Jarrod Hewitt visits to Iowa State and VaTech

Damon Hayes visits to BC and Wake

Ahmad Bah –

My takeaway is that Shafer’s recruits, who Dino cast off, were not that good. Only one Flood kid is not headed to a P5 school but the reality is Russo had P5 options (including Syracuse outreach) and chose Temple. Shafer's kids are headed to UMass and Georgia St.

Last edited:
Let’s compare. Shafer’s kids didn’t have enough time to be recruited by other schools but look at where Flood’s de-commits have ended up:

Russo to Temple

Alex Barber to Penn State

Patrick Rene to North Carolina

Tymir Oliver to Illinois

Phil Campbell to Pitt

Elias Reynolds to Pitt

Jarrod Hewitt visits to Iowa State and VaTech

Damon Hayes visits to BC and Wake

Ahmad Bah –

My takeaway is that Shafer’s recruits, who Dino cast off, were not that good. Only one Flood kid is not headed to a P5 school but the reality is Russo had P5 options (including Syracuse outreach) and chose Temple. Shafer's kids are headed to UMass and Georgia St.

It's almost like Dino knows what he's doing or something?

is that even allowed?

PhatOrange said:
Let’s compare. Shafer’s kids didn’t have enough time to be recruited by other schools but look at where Flood’s de-commits have ended up. And Flood was fired 2 weeks after Shafer? Russo to Temple Alex Barber to Penn State Patrick Rene to North Carolina Tymir Oliver to Illinois Phil Campbell to Pitt Elias Reynolds to Pitt Jarrod Hewitt visits to Iowa State and VaTech Damon Hayes visits to BC and Wake Ahmad Bah – My takeaway is that Shafer’s recruits, who Dino cast off, were not that good. Only one Flood kid is not headed to a P5 school but the reality is Russo had P5 options (including Syracuse outreach) and chose Temple. Shafer's kids are headed to UMass and Georgia St.

I can't debate the quality of Shafers recruits but I do know many of the same people who are gaga over our current recruits were also gaga over many of Shafers recruits. I think it's a dynamic that we love and over value anyone that says SU or UofS. :)

Not talking specifically about you either.

Lots of Shafer's kids are borderline academically. Palmer is one of those. He is easily a P5 talent but dodgy transcript.

Lots of Shafer's kids are borderline academically. Palmer is one of those. He is easily a P5 talent but dodgy transcript.

A lot of what I was told on this board was that with the new regime at the top of the University, we were not going to be able to bring in as many borderline kids.

Something doesn't add up...

Yes that's a good point.

tongue in cheek (but I've heard around here we tough admission standards)

A lot of what I was told on this board was that with the new regime at the top of the University, we were not going to be able to bring in as many borderline kids.

Something doesn't add up...
Well, they did require transcripts before bringing kids to campus ... Which one can presume they were vetting them in advance to make sure there was minimal risk of academic or qualifying issues