WRs open due to play design | Syracusefan.com

WRs open due to play design

dinosaurbbq

2nd String
FSU is by any marker one of the top defenses in the country and the top defense against the pass. Auburn's completions have been to WRs open by 10+ yards. WRs open due to play design. We don't have any of that. I hope we see some this year.

dinosaurbbq said:
FSU is by any marker one of the top defenses in the country and the top defense against the pass. Auburn's completions have been to WRs open by 10+ yards. WRs open due to play design. We don't have any of that. I hope we see some this year.

If we averaged 300+ running yards a game in the SEC, I could scheme those pass plays.

What a loser McDonald is...good grief. He is dealing with 1/4 of the talent Malzahn is. Plus Malzahn is one the great offensive minds in all of football.

Nope, talent isn't a wholesale excuse and neither is a lack of running game. WRs catching wellthrown balls in decent coverage or outrunning coverage is talent on the field. It's not talent, it's scheme. In addition, FSU hasn't played 9 in the box to stop the run and they hadn't run to setup the pass(I know rushing yards per game coming in has an effect to make you stack the box but they haven't stacked the box) so it's not the running game. It is excellent scheme.

Malzahn is a great offensive mind. If you look at the original post, you'll see that I'm hopeful we see some great schemes too. I think George McDonald will be able to do that. I love the guy. I'm hoping it's this year.

Jump on me again for nothing, but read the post first.

That running game got the lb's to close to the line of scrimmage and opened up everyone else. Those playfakes by Auburn are amazing and really fun to watch. I can't imagine being able to read those as a lb or dlinemen.

That running game got the lb's to close to the line of scrimmage and opened up everyone else. Those playfakes by Auburn are amazing and really fun to watch. I can't imagine being able to read those as a lb or dlinemen.

Agreed Bob. It was beautiful to watch and Malzahn deserves a lot of credit.

I also recognize that it helps for teams to be afraid of the run to get guys open via scheme, but with our stable of backs teams should have been afraid of the run this year. I think GMII will show a lot this year and by October teams will be afraid of the run and I'm hoping that leads to schemed open WRs.

It was by play design, but it was the design of the running game first and foremost. Unless a team has the d-line talent to blow up Auburn's o-line, and not many do, you have to commit extra guys to stop their run game due to the excellent design and play calling. Once they get you sucked in they run playaction and everyone bites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom