WSU QB Tyler Hilinski commits suicide | Syracusefan.com

WSU QB Tyler Hilinski commits suicide

So sad. I was all fired up about the hoops team's performance, but this is a major dose of perspective.

RIP and condolences/strength to his family.

These players are so big, strong and seemingly invincible in their uniforms that we sometimes forget they are just kids, struggling to find their way to adulthood.

Anyone who has gone to college knows it involves a fair amount of pressure. Trying to handle it while also dealing with all the things athletes on scholarship have to deal with (practice and training requirements, travel, etc.) has to be really tough. Especially if you don't have a good support system.

A lot of these kids come from broken homes and a lot are the first people in their families to attend college. Given all that, I am surprised this doesn't happen more often.

Condolences to his friends and family.

Suicide among young people is an epidemic in our country, and one that is rarely discussed due to the "stigma".

Among 15-34 year olds, it is the #2 cause of death. Most people aren't aware of that and it should be a slap in the face to us all. You can turn on the news every night and hear about a homicide. There are national political debates about murder. However, the fact remains that even more young Americans die by self-inflicted means. They often don't even realize that they are very ill; depression and/or a myriad of other emotional illnesses are found in over 90% of suicide victims. Their friends and family don't always see the warning signs or don't possess the skill to interpret them. Even people who are undergoing treatment for their illnesses can succumb.

Mental illness can be a terminal disease.

Young men are particularly at risk. Young women have a significantly higher rate of depression, but young men hide it better and use more permanent means to take their own lives.

My condolences to this young man's family. I wish I could talk to them personally. They have joined the club that nobody ever wants to join. I am also a member.

Was in shock when I read that this morning. Prayers and thoughts go out to his family, friends, and teammates.

I just saw the story. That's just so incredibly sad.

I have had 2 extended family members each lose a child to suicide. One was due to a long run of depression, the other was due to relationship issues.
How their families can go on is unfathomable to me.
I hate doses of perspective.
It really sucks; lost my step-son this past May (Mother's Day) under suspicious circumstances (ruled accidental death). We just keep going because we don't know of any other way to cope.

REALLY feel for Tyler's family...

RIP young man. Such a terrible and sad story.

They often don't even realize that they are very ill
Sometimes families do recognize the problem but are powerless to help if the person is in denial. A whole range of mental illnesses fits this description.

It really sucks; lost my step-son this past May (Mother's Day) under suspicious circumstances (ruled accidental death). We just keep going because we don't know of any other way to cope.

REALLY feel for Tyler's family...
And we really feel for your family. Stay strong.
I will never forget what a 7th grade health teacher told us in class one day...”Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem” I know now that doesn’t hold true for those with lifelong bouts with depression but it has gotten me through some dark times in my life.

Just so sad. A family member tried (and thankfully failed) to commit suicide several years ago. With help and support, that family member is now happy, healthy, and is devoting their life to helping others in similar situations. Very proud of her.

Things can get better.

Suicide among young people is an epidemic in our country, and one that is rarely discussed due to the "stigma".

Among 15-34 year olds, it is the #2 cause of death. Most people aren't aware of that and it should be a slap in the face to us all. You can turn on the news every night and hear about a homicide. There are national political debates about murder. However, the fact remains that even more young Americans die by self-inflicted means. They often don't even realize that they are very ill; depression and/or a myriad of other emotional illnesses are found in over 90% of suicide victims. Their friends and family don't always see the warning signs or don't possess the skill to interpret them. Even people who are undergoing treatment for their illnesses can succumb.

Mental illness can be a terminal disease.

Young men are particularly at risk. Young women have a significantly higher rate of depression, but young men hide it better and use more permanent means to take their own lives.

My condolences to this young man's family. I wish I could talk to them personally. They have joined the club that nobody ever wants to join. I am also a member.
Sad.

Also sad that this is what brought u out of hiding.

I cordially invite you to come join me on the pro sports board.

It’s civilized, small and intelligent.

Like the good ole days...

I wonder if CTE/head injuries had anything to do with this. Anyone know if they are checking in to see if that was an issue?