WVU deal to exit BE | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

WVU deal to exit BE

Well, let's break it out into individual sports.

The Olympic sports...I think we will always be a power in men's lacrosse, expect a couple NCs here over the next 10 years. The ACC if anything will make us stronger. Same applies to women's lacrosse. We are recruiting well, and Gait is going to get us some hardware for women.

Women's hoops...Q hasn't shown me much on the coaching front. He can recruit but on gameday, he is not getting things done. Hope he can get it together, I like him as a person a lot.

Men's hoops.....we have the Melo Center, we have as much talent as anyone in the pipeline, we have the Carrier Dome, which will remain unique because of its size. We will be playing an easier schedule, should be able to get 13 or 14 conference wins each season without much problem. Attendance might take a hit...but that could be offset by a long term stay in the top 10, which I think is a distinct possibility. The only fly in the ointment is JB's eventual retirement. Don't know if Hop can coach but we do know he is a phenomenal recruiter and we know he has spent a ton of time learning next to one of the top 3 or 4 head basketball coaches in the history of the college game. And we know JB thinks he is the man who should replace him. That is good enough for me.

Football...I think DM has shown he is able to win games against programs with more talent than he has. The question is, can he ever get to the point where he is on an equal footing with the other schools in the ACC (right now he is not there). I don't think the ACC is a level higher than the Big East is in the football. I think they are roughly equivalent. Overall, ACC facilities are a little better. We have to do something about this to ensure the long term success of football.

To me, SU is at a crossroads in football. If the school is willing to take a significant amount of the guaranteed increased revenues that will come with the ACC and invest them in things like a new indoor practice facility, better training facilities, nicer locker rooms, etc., I think we will be fine. I believe DM when he says that if he has a level playing field, he will have great success.

I hope don't end up end up siphoning off the profits from revenue sharing and putting them in the general fund. That will ensure we end up fighting it out for last place with Duke and BC...perennial lovable losers.

Excellent answer Tom, and very uplifting. Have you seen any proof that the above paragraph is gonna happen, sooner rather than later? I know IB said that work was about to begin on facility upgrades, however, that didn't seem to include a practice facility, nor additional administrative staff that we seem to need to be on par recruiting wise and PR wise.

Forget it you are too dumb to understand.

I'm dumb. You're baseing your whole argument on a false premise. That's dumb. They don't have to sue the BE to get out after 2012-2013.

And it has nothing to do with what the BE has done with WVU. It doesn't change a thing.

I'm dumb. You're baseing your whole argument on a false premise. That's dumb. They don't have to sue the BE to get out after 2012-2013.

And it has nothing to do with what the BE has done with WVU. It doesn't change a thing.

The contract says 27 months, that is past 2012-2013 season. And having Colgate the next 2 seasons instead of WVU changes a lot of things.

The contract says 27 months, that is past 2012-2013 season. And having Colgate the next 2 seasons instead of WVU changes a lot of things.
The BE got a ton of $ by letting WV out early, and the price was right for both parties. All that is happening is we are waiting one year to negotiate our own lesser buyout, which will be possible as the SunBeast adds its new members. This is only happening because we can't afford $24M right now. Contract schmontract. Members will jump off the ship as soon as the price is right for them, and unfortunately we are poor (cough cough fanbase).

We will not schedule Colgate again...unless Cuse is crises scheduling two 1-AA's. Colgate doesn't offer enuf scholies to count. Our future 1AA games will come from the CAA most likely.

The BE got a ton of $ by letting WV out early, and the price was right for both parties. All that is happening is we are waiting one year to negotiate our own lesser buyout, which will be possible as the SunBeast adds its new members. This is only happening because we can't afford $24M right now. Contract schmontract. Members will jump off the ship as soon as the price is right for them, and unfortunately we are poor (cough cough fanbase).

You can't assume that negotiating next year for an exit is going to lessen the price. You negotiate now even if part of your terms is playing in the Big East next year.

We will not schedule Colgate again...unless Cuse is crises scheduling two 1-AA's. Colgate doesn't offer enuf scholies to count. Our future 1AA games will come from the CAA most likely.

Colgate was used as an example to get a point across.

You can't assume that negotiating next year for an exit is going to lessen the price. You negotiate now even if part of your terms is playing in the Big East next year.

I'm sure there have been discussions on timing from the very start. That doesn't mean you sue the league.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom