WVU Newspaper Says Mountaineer Buyout Will be $11 Million | Syracusefan.com

WVU Newspaper Says Mountaineer Buyout Will be $11 Million

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
If true, it would be hard to understand why SU and Pitt would stay in the Big East in 2012. Especially with idiotic ideas in play like playing Rutgers twice in one season.

Link

images

If that's even close to being true, Gross had better get our asses outta here now...not later today...i mean right f*cking now.

I believe the NCAA requires 6 members to constitute a football conference. Perhaps the BE could get a waiver for one season. The remaining 5 would be dire straits on the schedule front.

Hard to believe, however, that the BE could allow one member to leave while blocking others who declared their intentions earlier. If it truly "only" is $11M then that's really just a $6M hit. Their share of ACC TV proceeds would easily cover that while retaining more than what the BE contract would pay.

Unless their was a gentleman's agreement that Syracuse wouldn't leave this year, conference "leadership" seems to have let its membership down... once again.

I believe the NCAA requires 6 members to constitute a football conference. Perhaps the BE could get a waiver for one season. The remaining 5 would be dire straits on the schedule front.

Hard to believe, however, that the BE could allow one member to leave while blocking others who declared their intentions earlier. If it truly "only" is $11M then that's really just a $6M hit. Their share of ACC TV proceeds would easily cover that while retaining more than what the BE contract would pay.

Unless their was a gentleman's agreement that Syracuse wouldn't leave this year, conference "leadership" seems to have let its membership down... once again.
Didn't the BE get a waiver for the 2003 season when UM, VT, and Fredo left? Only 5 teams left then, too.

Didn't the BE get a waiver for the 2003 season when UM, VT, and Fredo left? Only 5 teams left then, too.
No, there were 7. Yukon moved up a year early and Temple was allowed to stay an extra year.

if it is that low-
the good doctor better open the checkbook-

the sooner we leave this festering rotting carcass called the big east the better

No, there were 7. Yukon moved up a year early and Temple was allowed to stay an extra year.
Ahh, right. I was doing my best to forget about Temple.

If true, it would be hard to understand why SU and Pitt would stay in the Big East in 2012. Especially with idiotic ideas in play like playing Rutgers twice in one season.

Link

I wonder if that $11M is on top of the $5M they already gave making it $16M total or if it really is $11M total.

Sent from my DROIDX

I wonder if that $11M is on top of the $5M they already gave making it $16M total or if it really is $11M total.

Sent from my DROIDX
That's exactly what I was thinking - $11M more.

Its still worth it...

Not happening IMO - we'll be playing BE football next year.

Not happening IMO - we'll be playing BE football next year.

Yeah I'm kind of forced to be ok with that but after that would just be pure torture.

Ahh, right. I was doing my best to forget about Temple.

VT, Miami, BC were still in the league in 2003, BC was still in the league in 2004. I think you were also doing your best to forget our beatdowns of them on the way out. But those days will be back soon. Disclaimer, the 2010 game was so boring that it never happened.

I can live with playing BE football in 2012 since that is what I have always expected. I still don't trsut Marinatto and cronies enough to believe we'll be gone for 2013. Marinatto is a putz, but he's a vindictive putz. I hope I'm wrong but I fear that the BE will try to keep us tied down in this festering conference for as long as they possibly can. In addition to just being a , Marinatto knows there are financial and perception benefits to keeping SU Basketball around and participating in the BE Tourney until the last possible moment.

I'd like to find out that Gross has been negotiating with the big east for a 2013 exit and have been meeting and talking numbers to get us the heck out of the big east. I really believe that Marinatto doesn't care about football and wants to get as much cash as possible from SU and Pitt.

If we get stuck in this bs confrence now I'll be shocked. If Pitt leaves no way can they find enough teams to play this late. This is unreal. I would rather see us pull a wvu and say we aren't showing up. Hello acc

Everyone here on the board knows it, but it has to be said again. The degree to which the Big East has been mismanaged is staggering. When every team in the conference has been desperate to get out since 2003, it seems like it would be easy to make the case that the Big East has not met its obligations to its member schools.

At 11 mil there is no way we shouldn't be playing in the ACC next year no way. It doesn't matter if we leave the Big East with only 5 teams. The courts will not let WVU walk and SU and PITT have to stay. There is no way they can rule that. Let one out you have to let them all out.

If we play a team twice in a year the second time better be for the national title. If not that is a complete joke. Get out of this 2nd rate conference ASAP.