WVU to ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WVU to ACC

If it's for TV sets:

Ohio = 11.5 mil
Maryland = 5.9 mil
Conn = 3.6 mil
WV = 1.9

At least Cinci and UConn have hoops teams to go with decent football. Navy aren't great at either BUT are a name brand that people will watch. Not saying any are great or needed but WVU really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Those numbers are skewed...WVU has 13 people in each trailer watching a single B&W TV.

If it's for TV sets:

Ohio = 11.5 mil
Maryland = 5.9 mil
Conn = 3.6 mil
WV = 1.9

At least Cinci and UConn have hoops teams to go with decent football. Navy aren't great at either BUT are a name brand that people will watch. Not saying any are great or needed but WVU really isn't that important in the grand scheme of things.

Hey don't I at least get some points for the "WKRaP" reference? That was gold, Jerry. Gold!

Those numbers are skewed...WVU has 13 people in each trailer watching a single B&W TV.

images

"I reckon we aint got no cable"

Just because the WVU online trolls have done nothing, but spread anti-ACC misinformation these past two years I never want them in the ACC EVER. Cincinnati/UConn are better options than WVU and if/when ND commits I say give them a list of available teams among Navy, Cincinnati, UConn and just let them give input as to whom they like.

Personally, I am guessing Cincinnati will be No 16.

WVU's moron fanbase has hurt any chance that they'd ever get in by the way they've behaved towards the league since they got passed over by the ACC last summer. UConn's fanbase is acting in a very similar fashion, which the ACC's powers that be will be made aware of if a slot ever opens up. And, thats on top of the lingering bad feelings left by that idiotic Blumenthal lawsuit.

But, unless or until ND is compelled to join, the ACC is not going to expand. We're good, and, we've got a great set up. Now, its all on the league members to get it done on the athletic fields.

Personally, I am guessing Cincinnati will be No 16.

WVU's moron fanbase has hurt any chance that they'd ever get in by the way they've behaved towards the league since they got passed over by the ACC last summer. UConn's fanbase is acting in a very similar fashion, which the ACC's powers that be will be made aware of if a slot ever opens up. And, thats on top of the lingering bad feelings left by that idiotic Blumenthal lawsuit.

But, unless or until ND is compelled to join, the ACC is not going to expand. We're good, and, we've got a great set up. Now, its all on the league members to get it done on the athletic fields.

I have a very difficult time believing anyone's Internet fan base has any bearing on decisions made by the ACC.

As I have said before, ND needs to have input here to seal the deal and get them in as soon as possible.
Absolutely make them part of the process to quicken the decision. Who would be there top picks?
Wouldn't they be acceptable?

The article posted above by OE:

Http://www.bcinterruption.com/acc-e...sion-west-virginia-to-acc-louisville-maryland

Makes some good points about WVU and LVille. Makes me wonder if the ACC shouldn't consider continuing to expand by adding WVU. I know, the buyout for WVU would be huge...but it's interesting to theorize just the same. 15 teams...pods of three. Play your pod every year, and rotate two of the others. Eight conference games. Play every conference team every 4 three years minimum. Spread ND games around. If they ever go all-in, break into pods of 4.

Syracuse
Boston college
Pittsburgh

WVU
Virginia
Virginia tech

North Carolina
Duke
NC State

Wake forest
Louisville
Miami

FSU
GTech
Clemson

We are not adding anybody until such time as ND goes full member in football. And ND is not going to want WVU as a partner to complete ACC football at 16.

As I have said before, ND needs to have input here to seal the deal and get them in as soon as possible.
Absolutely make them part of the process to quicken the decision. Who would be there top picks?
Wouldn't they be acceptable?

WVU will never be acceptable to ND, in large part because ND sees WVU as regionally duplicating Pitt.

ND will want Navy - its most played rival. ND probably would shove Navy aside to get Texas, but Texas loves being Tsar of the Great Plains.

Cincy and UConn both would be acceptable to ND.

WVU will never be acceptable to ND, in large part because ND sees WVU as regionally duplicating Pitt.

ND will want Navy - its most played rival. ND probably would shove Navy aside to get Texas, but Texas loves being Tsar of the Great Plains.

Cincy and UConn both would be acceptable to ND.

Navy would give you a little (very little) part of Maryland back. Cincy would give you a city in Ohio, def. not the state. Texas I just don't see ever happening. UConn? No comment. My hatred for them clouds my thinking. ;)

We are not adding anybody until such time as ND goes full member in football. And ND is not going to want WVU as a partner to complete ACC football at 16.
Their fans would not live to tell about Morgantown.

Navy would give you a little (very little) part of Maryland back. Cincy would give you a city in Ohio, def. not the state. Texas I just don't see ever happening. UConn? No comment. My hatred for them clouds my thinking. ;)

If TV network dictates Cincy add's Ohio. Navy add's Maryland and a national following AND is another game ND want's to play every year.

ND isn't joining. They simply have no reason to unless the playoffs remain 4 teams and a caveat is added that only conference champions get those 4 slots.

Since that no longer seems realistic and that it is more likely the playoffs will expand to 8 teams, increasing ND's chances of getting into it, ND won't need to give up its independence.

Cheers,
Neil

If it's for TV sets:

Ohio = 11.5 mil
Maryland = 5.9 mil
Conn = 3.6 mil
WV = 1.9

I doubt Cincy delivers even 10% of those sets in Ohio.

Amen.

Thats all thats left for our teams to do...win the big games OOC in football and basketball.

We'll do fine in hoops. We need football to get back to where it was in the 1990's.

If TV network dictates Cincy add's Ohio. Navy add's Maryland and a national following AND is another game ND want's to play every year.
Oh I get that. Just trying to keep it *real*. :)

Navy isn't really a Maryland school, but that is a plus as well as a minus. The location aspect of Navy is perhaps most important with regard to the fact that opposing fans can go there to see their team play. But there is no getting around the fact that they would have to be FB only

As for Cincy, a 10% beachhead is a nice start for a full scale invasion.

Like WVU in the B12, Texas in the ACC would be just another island, albeit bigger, flatter, and with an actual coastline.

UConn, they do wear a better shade of blue than some others.

The article focuses entirely on division alignment based on traditional rivalries. Now, this is not an unworthy goal but not, by far, the only one.
  • Since neither Louisville or West Virginia is of the academic reputation nor caliber of the rest of the ACC (save NCS), there is no argument to make there.
  • Louisville is simply the far and away better athletic department. WVU is not even close at this point.
  • While both are fly-over states, Kentucky has 2.3 times the population of West Virginia (4.38 vs 1.8 million).
  • Athletically and academically Louisville is on the rise and West Virginia is not.
  • Rivalries do not mean much in the equation anymore.
  • Louisville brought a great basketball program.
  • Louisville stabilized the conference and West Virginia would not have.
IMO the bottom line is that the ACC made a pragmatic decision to admit Louisville. It swallowed hard on the academics and decided to save the conference.

Going forward, I think the best choice is Navy.
  • Great academics
  • Unsurpassed tradition and pageantry
  • National following
  • Perfect (better) replacement for UM. Maryland has 5.8 million population. (CT has 3.59 million)
  • ND/Navy has greater national following than Pitt/WVU.
  • Nobody watches Cincinnati even in Cincinnati.
  • Nobody hates them except Army.
ND and Navy would be great IMHO.
Go Orange!