WVU to ACC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

WVU to ACC

The article focuses entirely on division alignment based on traditional rivalries. Now, this is not an unworthy goal but not, by far, the only one.
  • Since neither Louisville or West Virginia is of the academic reputation nor caliber of the rest of the ACC (save NCS), there is no argument to make there.
  • Louisville is simply the far and away better athletic department. WVU is not even close at this point.
  • While both are fly-over states, Kentucky has 2.3 times the population of West Virginia (4.38 vs 1.8 million).
  • Athletically and academically Louisville is on the rise and West Virginia is not.
  • Rivalries do not mean much in the equation anymore.
  • Louisville brought a great basketball program.
  • Louisville stabilized the conference and West Virginia would not have.
IMO the bottom line is that the ACC made a pragmatic decision to admit Louisville. It swallowed hard on the academics and decided to save the conference.

Going forward, I think the best choice is Navy.
  • Great academics
  • Unsurpassed tradition and pageantry
  • National following
  • Perfect (better) replacement for UM. Maryland has 5.8 million population. (CT has 3.59 million)
  • ND/Navy has greater national following than Pitt/WVU.
  • Nobody watches Cincinnati even in Cincinnati.
  • Nobody hates them except Army.
ND and Navy would be great IMHO.

Go Orange!

Agree completely with this - absolutely! Would ND accept and get them in for sure?? I still think they need to land somewhere despite all of the good arguments to the contrary. Just go get it done!!!

Agree completely with this - absolutely! Would ND accept and get them in for sure?? I still think they need to land somewhere despite all of the good arguments to the contrary. Just go get it done!!!
Bball RPI killer. David Robinson ain't coming on board again.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

As someone said above, ND is not coming all in anytime soon. I kind of like the 15 team model for football if you plan to play only 8 conference games each year, because of the 3-team pods. A 7/7 split with 14 teams is difficult. That's why 15 makes sense to me.

I would be SO in support of adding WVU, although I wouldn't pay off the Big 12 to get them.

One, WVU puts 50k in the seats, which is nothing to sneeze at in this conference, and they compete in football. They may not be national championship contenders, but they play serious football. UConn, Cinci, etc are just not in the same level. And their basketball, while bad this year, is nothing to be ashamed of.

The biggest reason to do it is to fix the scheduling. There is simply no good way to schedule the ACC until we go to pods. Pods of 4 or even 5 would work very well.

The way the ACC is set up, there are just too many unnecessary and long-distance matchups that happen every single year, and too many logical rivalry games that happen almost never.

I would be all for adding WVU and even Cinci to get to pods, but only if we could cover their costs. I don't think that is possible however. If the ACC network becomes a real thing and is very successful, maybe someday it could pay for UConn and Cinci, but I'd much prefer WVU's football.

As far as ND goes, I think the ACC needs to stop making decisions based on them coming in football. They will do everything in their power to avoid that, and now we've seen that the football world will accomodate them, so we need to move on from that. Not saying that adding two teams is the right decision, but but if not, it's not about saving a spot for Notre Dame. And whether a team is a potential "Notre Dame partner" shouldn't even be in the discussion. They're not coming.

And if the day ever comes when Notre Dame wants to play football in the ACC, the ACC will accomodate that. I don't care if the ACC already has 16 teams, we'll go to 18 or 20 if we need to if Notre Dame wants in. But it's not happening. They've secured their independence.

ND isn't joining. They simply have no reason to unless the playoffs remain 4 teams and a caveat is added that only conference champions get those 4 slots.

Since that no longer seems realistic and that it is more likely the playoffs will expand to 8 teams, increasing ND's chances of getting into it, ND won't need to give up its independence.

Cheers,
Neil

An 8 team playoff probably would see 5 auto bids, each Major conference guaranteed a slot. In that scenario, ND would double its shot at being in the playoff with full football membership.

In addition, there is the real possibility that once ND fans get used to playing 5 ACC games per year, some football boosters will start wondering amongst their kind if perhaps ND playing as a full member and thus having a chance to win the division and Championship Game would be better for the long term health of the program than being a 5/8ths member, which is simultaneously the best of both worlds with no rewards of either and thus the worst of both worlds.

No doubt many ND football boosters approved this halfway measure in hope it would prevent any need to make a full move later. But the fact is that the halfway move is likely, after a few years, to produce a growing number of ND fans who will be happy to cut of the Big Ten totally and play for ACC championships.

And that is why Navy matters a great deal: ND has played Navy more than anybody and intends to play Navy annually. If the Navy game is a league game, ND can make the move much easier than if Navy is not a league game.

The biggest argument against Navy was that MD is a small state, to small to justify 2 schools in the ACC. With UMD gone, Navy offers schools a way to hit at UMD and the Big Ten in MD.

In addition to helping ACC football retain a hold on MD talent and TV audiences by hosting ACC games, Navy would agree to play its Home games vs. the 'big name' football programs at neutral sites, such as FSU in Jacksonville and VT in FedEx Field. I could see Navy playing its Home Game vs. Syracuse at Yankee Stadium.

Bball RPI killer. David Robinson ain't coming on board again.

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Navy is not going to play AAC basketball.

We could add Georgetown for basketball and Navy for football, and make UMD pay forever.

In addition to helping ACC football retain a hold on MD talent and TV audiences by hosting ACC games, Navy would agree to play its Home games vs. the 'big name' football programs at neutral sites, such as FSU in Jacksonville and VT in FedEx Field. I could see Navy playing its Home Game vs. Syracuse at Yankee Stadium.

Respectfully, not happening. Conference home games are to be played in the Home stadium.

West Virginia clearly belongs in the ACC, not the Big 12 or any other conference. We've had a great rivalry with them over the years and I would welcome the move, big time. Besides, if thing ever resolve themselves down to 4 major conferences, there will be a Monster Bug War between the ACC and Big 12 for the last spot. Grabbing one of their teams would be an excellent move.

As someone said above, ND is not coming all in anytime soon. I kind of like the 15 team model for football if you plan to play only 8 conference games each year, because of the 3-team pods. A 7/7 split with 14 teams is difficult. That's why 15 makes sense to me.
The problem with 15 or any odd number of teams is that someone will have to have a bye or OOC game every week during the season. That was workable in the past with 9- and 11-team conferences, but with everyone maximizing their in conference games among even larger-sized conferences, quality mid-season games are going to be tough to schedule.

I was against the hybrid model before, but am starting to lean toward the Navy/Georgetown hybrid. Especially since the state of Maryland is no longer ACC country and we've opened the bag with ND. Wouldn't do it until ND goes all-in though.

I wonder if a "provisional membership" approach would work for the final two spots? Invite two of the left out schools (whichever two you like) to compete in the ACC for a set time period, say 5 or 10 years. If ND changes their mind during that time and opts to join in FB, you allow one of the provisional contracts to expire (or both if the Irish insist that a different team joins with them). If the Irish contnue to hold out, you just renew the provisional contracts or pull in a different school if desired. Could even make renewal automatic unless certain conditions are met (i.e., ND all-in) so the two schools would effectively be in the ACC as long as the prevailing theory about ND independence holds. I think you could find a pair of outside-looking in schools that would accept that arrangement, especially if they got an equal share of all conference benefits (except full-time member status). It would be tempting to give them a lesser deal than the rest, but I wouldn't do it that way.

[EDIT: Didn't think enough about the other sports that already have ND, meaning the hoops conference could have 17 teams. Could either work with that or maybe it makes the Navy/Georgetown hybrid attractive even without ND in FB right away.]

West Virginia clearly belongs in the ACC, not the Big 12 or any other conference. We've had a great rivalry with them over the years and I would welcome the move, big time. Besides, if thing ever resolve themselves down to 4 major conferences, there will be a Monster Bug War between the ACC and Big 12 for the last spot. Grabbing one of their teams would be an excellent move.
While I agree the ACC could grab a Big 12 team someday, not WVU. They are the pigs you don't want at your dinner table.

The problem with 15 or any odd number of teams is that someone will have to have a bye or OOC game every week during the season. That was workable in the past with 9- and 11-team conferences, but with everyone maximizing their in conference games among even larger-sized conferences, quality mid-season games are going to be tough to schedule.

I was against the hybrid model before, but am starting to lean toward the Navy/Georgetown hybrid. Especially since the state of Maryland is no longer ACC country and we've opened the bag with ND. Wouldn't do it until ND goes all-in though.

I wonder if a "provisional membership" approach would work for the final two spots? Invite two of the left out schools (whichever two you like) to compete in the ACC for a set time period, say 5 or 10 years. If ND changes their mind during that time and opts to join in FB, you allow one of the provisional contracts to expire (or both if the Irish insist that a different team joins with them). If the Irish contnue to hold out, you just renew the provisional contracts or pull in a different school if desired. Could even make renewal automatic unless certain conditions are met (i.e., ND all-in) so the two schools would effectively be in the ACC as long as the prevailing theory about ND independence holds. I think you could find a pair of outside-looking in schools that would accept that arrangement, especially if they got an equal share of all conference benefits (except full-time member status). It would be tempting to give them a lesser deal than the rest, but I wouldn't do it that way.

[EDIT: Didn't think enough about the other sports that already have ND, meaning the hoops conference could have 17 teams. Could either work with that or maybe it makes the Navy/Georgetown hybrid attractive even without ND in FB right away.]
Add Cincinnati, UConn, and invite Texas with a 5 game deal like Notre Dame. Notre Dame and Texas are working on a long term deal for games could count as a 6th, and could easily from their get to full membership [ Best of all worlds for everyone.]

georgetown is now a founding member of another conf. a nice midmajor for them to rule in, they are NOT coming to the ACC in any fashion.

navy, is also NOT coming to the ACC in any fashion. they will always be able to play nd, for they will be nd's d1aa de facto team.

texas has a higher probability of joining the ACC than those 2 do.

While I agree the ACC could grab a Big 12 team someday, not WVU. They are the pigs you don't want at your dinner table.

We've had them art the dinner table for years and it's been arguably our best rivalry.

We've had them art the dinner table for years and it's been arguably our best rivalry.
A good rivalry but a bunch if inbred fans. I'd like a rivalry where it's fun to go to the Away game. I'll never go back to Morgantown.

Well five of those Bye or OCC week games would be ND. Let the league set up a priority scheduling agreement with two other teams -- let's say Navy and Anybody U. -- let it be a 5/5/5. Five teams play ND in their "bye" week. Five teams play Navy. Five teams play Anybody U. Those two teams do not have to be members to benefit from some preferred scheduling considerations, and for them, so higher profile games.

I don't know what the heck is going on in this thread, but I for one am very, very, very, very, very happy that fate landed Louisville in the ACC and not West Virginia.

I wish them luck in their rivalry with Iowa State.

When I wrote my post the link in the OP didn't work and I was assuming we were talking about the ACC adding WVA to what they have now., I then went back and found OE's original link and found out the issue was: should they have taken WVA instead of Louisville. I agree the Cardinals are the better of that choice. I'd still like to bring in WVA, though.

When I wrote my post the link in the OP didn't work and I was assuming we were talking about the ACC adding WVA to what they have now., I then went back and found OE's original link and found out the issue was: should they have taken WVA instead of Louisville. I agree the Cardinals are the better of that choice. I'd still like to bring in WVA, though.

The point of the OP was that the ACC could consider adding WVU now. It was never intended to re-examine whether or not WVU should have been taken over Louisville. That was simply one of the themes in the article which was linked. My point was that adding WVU now, and getting to 15 teams, made a nice 5-Pod system, while adding a worthwhile team.