WVU: Travel is a Problem in the Big 12... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

WVU: Travel is a Problem in the Big 12...

We will be travelling to Miami and Florida state those are pretty long trips as well

2 long trips are a whole lot better than long trips every single time. Think of it this way, Penn State hated being on an island on the east coast with the rest of the B1G (pre-Rutgers/Maryland). WFVU's closest opponent is Iowa State at ~900 miles. 11 teams in the B1G are closer to Penn State than WFVU is to their closest opponent in Iowa State... Let that sink in... It also isn't even factoring in them losing an hour when they come back. The Big 12 hosed them with their schedule. They should have made it a little more WVU friendly (as much as that is possible) and had them play OKST and OK within a few days on the road instead of making them play them, go back to Morgantown, and then go back to play the other later on. Frankly, it is absolutely moronic.

FSU and Clemson must be chomping at the bit to get in on that..

Ahhh logistics, been turning great ideas into crap since the beginning of man. Do they not teach history or business at WVU.

We will be travelling to Miami and Florida state those are pretty long trips as well
We'll rarely be traveling to Miami. They're in the opposite division, and there's only 8 conferences games. 6 division games, Pitt game, rotate through 1 of 6 Coastal Division teams. Being EST, like the 15 other ACC members, Syracuse doesn't have to cross time zones in conference. Literally every conference away game WVU has to traverse a time zone and back. That's the main problem the article brings up.

Actually, those are even longer. Fortunately, the ACC (other than FSU) is all in the same time zone.

Since SU has been traveling to Florida for a long time (both Miami & Tampa) they will hopefully be aware of what ever concerns there may be.

FSU is Eastern Time Zone...

That is just hilarious, Ollie didn't see this coming? People in less high profile jobs get fired for overlooking such things.

He saw it coming, but WVU really had no choice. Travel to Kansas, Texas an Oklahoma, or travel to Boise, San Diego, and Houston. Staying in the BE was/is not an option for anyone who had a choice.

WV.jpg

FSU is Eastern Time Zone...
Thanks for the info.

Several trips to Santa Rosa Beach and issues with early voting results (2004? or 2008?) had me thinking that Tallahassee was just inside CST.

Well, WFVU does have an 85% acceptance rate. Maybe that's why most West Virginians don't wear shoes.
i think its so they can count over 10 without having to bring along another family member- from what i read they just figured that out about 2 years ago- they put the guy up for a nobel in math and made him a professor

Thanks for the info.

Several trips to Santa Rosa Beach and issues with early voting results (2004? or 2008?) had me thinking that Tallahassee was just inside CST.

Acutally Tally is just inside ET...the line is right near/on the Apalachicola River...

timezone-map.jpg

i think its so they can count over 10 without having to bring along another family member- from what i read they just figured that out about 2 years ago- they put the guy up for a nobel in math and made him a professor

You meant "Perfesser", didn't you?

He saw it coming, but WVU really had no choice. Travel to Kansas, Texas an Oklahoma, or travel to Boise, San Diego, and Houston. Staying in the BE was/is not an option for anyone who had a choice.
WFVU was all puffed up when then out-dueled Louisville to get into the Big 12. Now they have a major case of red a$$ because Louisville made it into the ACC. That fire is going to burn for a long time. couchburn

Thanks for the info.

Pensacola, @ 50k population, is the biggest CST Florida city ~ 3 hours West of Tallahassee which is important with as close as Florida elections go. Santa Rosa Beach appears to fall in the CST as well.

WFVU was all puffed up when then out-dueled Louisville to get into the Big 12. Now they have a major case of red a$$ because Louisville made it into the ACC. That fire is going to burn for a long time. couchburn

You have to wonder, had WVU not jumped at the B12 offer, if they would have been in another head-to-head battle with Louisville with the ACC. Or had L'Ville been picked by the B12, would WVU now be headed to the ACC.

You have to wonder, had WVU not jumped at the B12 offer, if they would have been in another head-to-head battle with Louisville with the ACC. Or had L'Ville been picked by the B12, would WVU now be headed to the ACC.

I thought about that yesterday when reading this post. Given that the ACC relaxed the academic standard in inviting Louisville when Maryland departed, WVU and Louisville aren't much different academically. Had WVU still been available and Louisville in the Big XII, one has to wonder if the ACC would have invited WVU. The same football schools that pushed for Louiville over UConn might have done so regarding WVU as well.

Good stuff. FSU and Clemson can't get to the Big 12 fast enough.

Just received this 1 yr old talk by Texas AD concerning WVU and Louisville. Seems like more than a year ago, Dodds discussed the goodness of Louisville and its athletic budget--$87,000,000/yr and it would be number 2 in Big 12 and WVU--how its travel to sporting events would be bad. He predicated this on going time zones..and saying flying east is significantly better than going west...hmmm, are you listening ACC teams Also, Dodds talk realignment and ACC vs. Pac 12. Very interesting comments as Texas almost went ACC...listen to all of this starting around 21:30
This is good information to reflect on...pleased 'Cuse in ACC; pleased Louisville coming; and nearly got Texas...and even Dodds said it is going to be difficult travelling for WVU back a year ago:

Funny to hear him say they would (a) go after Louisville, and (b) take ND for 6 games against B12 teams. LOL.
And..."If I were WVU I would not want to be in the Big12." ROFL.

Funny to hear him say they would (a) go after Louisville, and (b) take ND for 6 games against B12 teams. LOL.
And..."If I were WVU I would not want to be in the Big12." ROFL.
Just goes to indicate how out of control and misrepresented all these inside posters from WVU and MHver3, DudeWVU, and Swaim really are...what a yuk!

All this extra travel is about more than just $$$$..as discussed in this article.

Athletes at major universities get access to academic tutoring and financial help, through scholarships, for their schooling. But they also have increased time demands as sports programs jockey to make themselves more attractive for corporate interests.
The football player shoehorned into a Thursday night ESPN game in the athletics department’s search for more TV revenue still has to attend class the next morning. The same goes for the volleyball players at Florida State, who had to miss Thursday afternoon classes and a whole day Friday for a weekend jaunt to play at Boston College in October.
The concern as conference membership changes — as teams at Maryland and Rutgers start making Big Ten Conference trips to the Midwest, for example — is that athletes’ chances to succeed academically will lessen.
“It’s more travel, more time away from class and more pressure on the players, with the financial motivation of getting into the Big Ten,” Vermont School of Law professor Brian Porto said of the Rutgers and Maryland moves. “It’s probably a good financial deal for the two schools involved, but educationally it seems pretty bankrupt to me.”

http://www.news-record.com/home/890885-63/the-revenue-race-athletics-can