WVU: Travel is a Problem in the Big 12... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

WVU: Travel is a Problem in the Big 12...

He said all the right things as far as I'm concerned.
He agrees with me on the Total Cost of Attendance stipend.

It was interesting to see him bite his tongue about schools that accept partial-qualifiers.

It was funny to see him, on one hand, compliment Oliver Luck ("He knows what he's doing."), while on the other hand, slam WfVU for joining the Big XII ("They're flying the wrong way. We'll play football there every other year, and basketball every other year. But we're not doing that every week.").

All of the things listed as problems for WVU are why FSU and Clemson will not make the jump. Its as simple as that, IMHO.

All of the things listed as problems for WVU are why FSU and Clemson will not make the jump. Its as simple as that, IMHO.
Agreed.

It will stay that way unless the Big XII were to add 6, including an Eastern pod.

According to Brett McMurphy, Maryland is going to get a 20-30M travel subsidy. That's absolutely ridiculous.

According to Brett McMurphy, Maryland is going to get a 20-30M travel subsidy. That's absolutely ridiculous.
If so, how can Maryland defend a $50 million fee to leave the ACC...the ACC does not cover travel and that $20-$30 million travel subsidy is a university whoring itself...so much for academic integrity; problem is this subsidy can also snare other universities to consider the B1G...realignment is business...and I hope that cable carriage for BTN goes down the drain...

Just received this 1 yr old talk by Texas AD concerning WVU and Louisville. Seems like more than a year ago, Dodds discussed the goodness of Louisville and its athletic budget--$87,000,000/yr and it would be number 2 in Big 12 and WVU--how its travel to sporting events would be bad. He predicated this on going time zones..and saying flying east is significantly better than going west...hmmm, are you listening ACC teams Also, Dodds talk realignment and ACC vs. Pac 12. Very interesting comments as Texas almost went ACC...listen to all of this starting around 21:30
This is good information to reflect on...pleased 'Cuse in ACC; pleased Louisville coming; and nearly got Texas...and even Dodds said it is going to be difficult travelling for WVU back a year ago:

Texas is eventually going to be the 16th member of the ACC. The best hope for the Big 12 to survive is for global warming to put the East Coast under water.

and Rutgers got jack squat lmao. Ru were the whores lol

One wonders if this is a short term thing that is primarily in place to pay for Maryland's exit fee.

I could see some funds being allocated for MD & RU travel (the BE did, or offered, something like that to Miami)... $20-30M is an order of magnitude greater than what could be deemed reasonable.

If so, how can Maryland defend a $50 million fee to leave the ACC...

They can't. And, they negotiated behind the ACC's back, and, the B10 demanded a confidentiality agreement. I wonder why nobody has really challenged the right to those records through an Open Records Request?

...the ACC does not cover travel and that $20-$30 million travel subsidy is a university whoring itself...so much for academic integrity; problem is this subsidy can also snare other universities to consider the B1G...

You are 100 percent correct. Maryland whored itself out. The big difference between UMD and the other schools generally thought to be in the B10's crosshairs...UNC, UVA, and, GT...is that those schools' athletic departments are not financial disasters from indiscriminate overspending.

...realignment is business...and I hope that cable carriage for BTN goes down the drain...

Business is good when you have possible candidates who spend beyond their means, and, that is where UMD was. Or, you have another that is irrelevant in everything, and, just wants out of a sinking league, aka Rutgers.

It really makes me laugh to hear B10 fans say that losing UMD cuts us out of the DC market. That is a joke. UVA and VPI keep us there with a strong presence. We do lose Baltimore, which hurts. But, that is more than made up by picking up Pittsburgh, NYC, and, Louisville.

LOL Awesome, I think I found this several years ago, thanks for linking cant wait to try it.
While you're at it, spend some time with number munchers.

arbitragegls said:
If so, how can Maryland defend a $50 million fee to leave the ACC...

They can't. And, they negotiated behind the ACC's back, and, the B10 demanded a confidentiality agreement. I wonder why nobody has really challenged the right to those records through an Open Records Request?

...the ACC does not cover travel and that $20-$30 million travel subsidy is a university whoring itself...so much for academic integrity; problem is this subsidy can also snare other universities to consider the B1G...

You are 100 percent correct. Maryland whored itself out. The big difference between UMD and the other schools generally thought to be in the B10's crosshairs...UNC, UVA, and, GT...is that those schools' athletic departments are not financial disasters from indiscriminate overspending.

...realignment is business...and I hope that cable carriage for BTN goes down the drain...​
Business is good when you have possible candidates who spend beyond their means, and, that is where UMD was. Or, you have another that is irrelevant in everything, and, just wants out of a sinking league, aka Rutgers.

It really makes me laugh to hear B10 fans say that losing UMD cuts us out of the DC market. That is a joke. UVA and VPI keep us there with a strong presence. We do lose Baltimore, which hurts. But, that is more than made up by picking up Pittsburgh, NYC, and, Louisville.

It would be a gross mistake for the ACC attorneys to fail to request the records you mention, along with others. It is safe to asssume these records have been requested and any confidentiality agreement between the B1G and UMD is not validly imposed upon a court. UMD will either turn over the records or pay the exit fee.

The travel expenses fronted by the B1G may very well be hush money to get UMD to settle quickly. JUST SPECULATION, no inside information.