Yale Game Thread... | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

Yale Game Thread...

malloy had 15 saves. practically the entire game was played with yale on attack.
what game did you watch ? we got a buzzer beater that was reviewed and an open gift to evans. we were outplayed yesterday. and lucky to move on. that's what i saw.
Thanks for not addressing my post. Did Molloy have a great game? Absolutely. One of the best, if not the best game he's played here. Was he the ONLY reason we won (as you said above)? Of course not. Did the buzzer beater count? Did the defense have anything to do with Evan's "gift"? Gotta be careful with those absolutes.

Towson are even slower than Yale they are ranked 67/71 on pace of play.

They play a very ball control possession based offense, backed up by a very strong defense.

Their SSDMs (#14 & #16) are the best in Div I and are aggressive at causing turnovers.

If anything you are better off attacking the poles #30 got dusted a couple of times vs PSU.

Forget about Duke/Ohio State everything needs to be focused on Towson

#41 Towson FOGO came out of the game with a hamstring injury, they iced him and he came back in for one draw then sat for the rest of the game.

Ben Williams has been fantastic for Syracuse his whole career, I hope he plays and plays well next week

it will need a very disciplined team performance to get to the FF

the best stat last night was SU 4 Turnovers which were all Caused Turnovers by Yale.

Evan Molloy was a Legend last night putting the team on his back

Towson are a strong physical workman like team, everyone will need to bring their A game, expect a low scoring 7-6 type game

the yale extra man ? i don't get that low stat. we couldn't stop reeves. feed and feast man.

and when he drops the top hand low he's winding up and not passing. long pole chop .
be fun to watch frosh "the undertaker" gaudet next few years. nice close finisher.

Last edited:
Forget about Duke/Ohio State everything needs to be focused on Towson

With the Final Four and Memorial Day Weekend on the line, I can't imagine that the team would be looking past Towson. It's been a long time.

we haven't waxed anybody. i'm sure this team is coming in hard and focused . margin for error has been so slim. i'm worried about the X. but looking forward to a great battle.

Good article for those who wanted Evens out of the Yale game.

He's been so good the last 3-4 games to but I had a feeling he was do for a bad game. Two awful turnovers and zero points - JeremyCuse
Get Evans out - JeremyCuse
Evans is a trainwreck - Wallacecuse

How'd that work out? Evans ended with 1G 2A for 3 Pts with 1TO (not 2) and 1 GB, tied with Mariano for high SU game scorer. Mariano had 1 TO too, but no GB. (Both TOs were terrible)
Evans probably could have had another goal, but elected not to shoot with 30 seconds left in order to maintain possession, a move praised by the analysts and coaches. Remember Nate's recent shot with a 1 goal lead? Watch the winning goal. Evans motions Rehfuss to the other side behind the goal. Steve says "As soon as I got open Jordan found me." Evans set up the shot, Rehfuss finished it.
He makes mistakes, but I feel more than makes up for them. I want him in there in these tight games., just as I want Sergio and Nick in there too. The strength of this offense is when someone is off there are others to pick up the slack. If Jordan is off Sunday I expect Sergio, or Nick, or Nate, or Steve or somebody to have a great game. We just need possession.
And for the record, he is the leading scorer on the team for the last 7 games, or almost half of the season.

JeremyCuse, I really enjoy your posts. I think you call them as you see them. I just think you were wrong on this one.

He's been so good the last 3-4 games to but I had a feeling he was do for a bad game. Two awful turnovers and zero points - JeremyCuse

How'd that work out? Evans ended with 1G 2A for 3 Pts with 1TO (not 2) and 1 GB, tied with Mariano for high SU game scorer. Mariano had 1 TO too, but no GB. (Both TOs were terrible)
Evans probably could have had another goal, but elected not to shoot with 30 seconds left in order to maintain possession, a move praised by the analysts and coaches. Remember Nate's recent shot with a 1 goal lead? Watch the winning goal. Evans motions Rehfuss to the other side behind the goal. Steve says "As soon as I got open Jordan found me." Evans set up the shot, Rehfuss finished it.
He makes mistakes, but I feel more than makes up for them. I want him in there in these tight games., just as I want Sergio and Nick in there too. The strength of this offense is when someone is off there are others to pick up the slack. If Jordan is off Sunday I expect Sergio, or Nick, or Nate, or Steve or somebody to have a great game. We just need possession.
And for the record, he is the leading scorer on the team for the last 7 games, or almost half of the season.

JeremyCuse, I really enjoy your posts. I think you call them as you see them. I just think you were wrong on this one.
Agree on all points. However, if there's anything I've learned during my time on this board, it's to not judge a poster by what they post in a game thread. I've tried to participate in game threads but just can't...I'm too emotionally invested in the game & don't want to miss anything or post any knee-jerk reactions that I'd otherwise save for my own living room. I use commercial breaks to briefly calm & re-focus. I do follow along with the game threads during breaks on my phone...I'd HIGHLY recommend this, as there's great insight in there & it helps better understand the game, especially a "niche" sport like Lax. I actually credit JeremyCuse & others for helping me develop the way I watch Lax over the years. He always points out who a team elects to pole, when they're double polling the midfield, who's at attack vs middie, stuff like that. He, like myself & others, are VERY emotionally invested & regardless of what is said in a game thread, we're rooting our hearts out for these players. We start following many of them as young teenagers & many are local so we get great insight. When he said in the Yale thread "words can't express how upset I am with Solomon right now" following his dumb personal foul, he echoed my thoughts exactly...we're disappointed because we know Nate knows better. I do wish that I had a nickel for every time Jeremy posts the word "brutal" lol I now find myself saying it out loud during games :rolling:

Sorry for the diatribe, I just really enjoy how close-knit the Lax board is. I've been following Jordan since he was in 9th grade, he's had his ups & downs & taken a ton of criticism...REALLY hoping to see him end things on a high note before starting his career in finance in Utah.

GO ORANGE

Agree on all points. However, if there's anything I've learned during my time on this board, it's to not judge a poster by what they post in a game thread. I've tried to participate in game threads but just can't...I'm too emotionally invested in the game & don't want to miss anything or post any knee-jerk reactions that I'd otherwise save for my own living room. I use commercial breaks to briefly calm & re-focus. I do follow along with the game threads during breaks on my phone...I'd HIGHLY recommend this, as there's great insight in there & it helps better understand the game, especially a "niche" sport like Lax. I actually credit JeremyCuse & others for helping me develop the way I watch Lax over the years. He always points out who a team elects to pole, when they're double polling the midfield, who's at attack vs middie, stuff like that. He, like myself & others, are VERY emotionally invested & regardless of what is said in a game thread, we're rooting our hearts out for these players. We start following many of them as young teenagers & many are local so we get great insight. When he said in the Yale thread "words can't express how upset I am with Solomon right now" following his dumb personal foul, he echoed my thoughts exactly...we're disappointed because we know Nate knows better. I do wish that I had a nickel for every time Jeremy posts the word "brutal" lol I now find myself saying it out loud during games :rolling:

Sorry for the diatribe, I just really enjoy how close-knit the Lax board is. I've been following Jordan since he was in 9th grade, he's had his ups & downs & taken a ton of criticism...REALLY hoping to see him end things on a high note before starting his career in finance in Utah.

GO ORANGE
I agree 100% I go to all the games and follow this board's game thread to enhance my understanding on what is happening on the field. I believe JeremyCuse gives his honest view, good or bad, of what is happening. I can't say that about everyone.

Evans had an excellent last quarter and half. His decision to pull the ball back out at the end was a very heady play and really showed his senior poise and an understanding of clock/score and our issues at the X. I also thought he did a great job recognizing that Yales SSDM had slide to him for no reason giving Rehfuss a step and he quickly passed him the ball to get that game winning goal. Also as I noted he had been playing excellent the last 3-4 games.

That being said he was a non factor for the first 2 and a half quarters and had 2 pretty egregious turnovers (box score has 1 I am pretty sure it was 2) and he also missed the cage completely on a wide open look after a quick re-start. Jordan when he is on is a very good player but when he's off he usually remains off that's why I thought it might be better to go to the bench. Kudos to him for stepping his game up when we needed it the most. I still think we are going to need him to score more if were going to win a championship (especially this weekend) but 3 pts is exactly what you want out of Evans and as I noted his play late to not shoot there was outstanding.

* Edit just an FYI you quoted two of my Evans posts above which is fine but you left out the one where I praised him during the game for the decision to pull the ball back out*

GO ORANGE

Excellent post Wboro, couldn't agree more with everything you said. As you noted a lot of us are so invested in the program that the game threads can get very emotional especially when SU is not playing well. Appreciate the kind words and I share your thoughts about the board overall there is no better place to get different ideas, thoughts, takes, on SU lacrosse and Dive Lax in general. So many knowledgeable people on here who give excellent takes not only on SU's pefomrance but also on incoming recruits future opponents etc etc. Look no further then the Quinn Thread and others where Extreme, Whitey and others post regular updates that it feels like you already know the player before they get here.

I think I may need to dial back the use of the word brutal, If I have you saying it out loud now I might be going to it a little to much ;)

As for Evans he has certainly taking his fair share of criticisom on this board and others but I think he has also gotten a lot of positive reaction this year especially with his play down the stretch. The frustrating aspect with Jordan is that those flashes show what we believe he is capable of when he is on his game and you wonder why he couldn't be a little more consistent with that play the last few years. That being said he has a good senior year and certainly has shown he belongs on the first attack line. Just wish he could show more of that scoring punch that he flashes every once in a while. Also as you noted the ire of the board is not saved for him as many players have taken some heat this year on the board. Solomon especially with his boneheaded penalties, Lane, the SSDM's, Cunningham, Desko, 2nd mid line, Molloy, even Ben Williams. Unfortunately those things happen when your this invested and your at the top of the mountain in Div 1. Hopefully we have the chance to watch these guys play for a title.

people criticize because they care

I was a season ticket holder at Manchester City for many years in a section surrounded by other season ticket holders

this was in a period before they were EPL Champions and included when they hit their lowest points in club history, critiques were loud and visceral when performance dipped below perceived standards, with thousands of fans chanting in chorus "your not fit to wear the shirt" and "what a waste of money" along with other more colourful commentary

and yet even at their lowest ebb fans turned out in their thousands every week, in sunshine and rain, home and away to cheer for their team

passion, fandom, fanatic can be a rollercoaster of emotions and experiences from the lowest depths to the highest mountains

the real problem is when nobody comments or pays for a ticket or shouts from the sidelines

Syracuse Lacrosse is passion, to give everything you've got HHH

I can't remember who said it but it was a simple statement, almost a throw away line post game... "it's not about you"

somebody had yet to learn the magic of those few little words

it's a team game, win lose or draw, it doesn't matter who scores

this 2017 team has an opportunity to play one more game to stay together for one more week

climb the mountain one more time

I hope they can do it but whatever happens they have shown time and again they understand what it means to represent Syracuse Lacrosse

I love this team and can't wait to watch them again

Popcorn and soda

GO ORANGE

Why I never do game threads and rarely do chat rooms during games...

Having written that, since I have NOT read the game thread, a couple questions:

What did you guys think of not sliding to double Reeves? I think I saw one slide the entire game to double...tough call since he is such a great passer..just curious what your take was...
Did Desko say anything about it in the post-game PC?

I really thought Yale lost that game. Reeves owned Firman and, if I'm the Yale coach, I run that invert iso to death...still cannot figure out whom he was trying to feed on that last possession...he needed to work Firman until he got the shot he wanted...

GO ORANGE

I forgot who it was but someone posted during a game thread that a girl scout came by with cookies for the poster. She yelled that she knew he was home because she could hear all of the swearing :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom