Yards Per Play Dead Last | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Yards Per Play Dead Last

Watch the GRob games. We punted on 3rd down.

...and the 3rd down punt was actually one of the better plays/play calls. That’s a double whammy.

Make no mistake, I’m not defending Dino. I was an Eddie O guy, I’ve said Dino’s offense was a gimmick that lives and dies by being able to recruit very talented players with specific skill sets, which will be a problem for a school in CNY. I’m just saying there is a bias from SoS, and GRob was a little engine who couldn’t. I’m not ready to give up on Dino yet.
This is not a defense of Grob, but we also punted on third down under Coach Mac. The quick kick can be a great momentum changer. Not every game obviously, but as a surprise. How many times did we do it under Grob? Twice?

This is not a defense of Grob, but we also punted on third down under Coach Mac. The quick kick can be a great momentum changer. Not every game obviously, but as a surprise. How many times did we do it under Grob? Twice?
I have no idea. I clearly remember one against WVU. I think we may have actually done it 2x in the same game, but I’m not 100%. I feel like we did it at least one other time, too, but I’m not certain. Years of hard work trying to forget (and many beers) are finally paying off.

This stat is disgusting but the stat that has been stuck in my mind is :

32 yards passing for DeVito.
Thirty.
Two.
Yards.

How is it possible 5 years into Dino’s tenure we don’t have a QB good enough to play in the ACC ?

what are you talking about. Devito has shown in multiple games he is good enough to play in the acc. If he hadn’t done it before you might have a point.

only the simple minded think it’s all one one guy or one position.

This team has a new OC, lost it’s top three RBs, top two WRs, six OG, with no spring and limited preseason, and opened on the road against two upper division conference opponents.

have the last two weeks been awful, yes, but its not in a vacuum. There are legitimate reasons why things are as bad as they are.

what are you talking about. Devito has shown in multiple games he is good enough to play in the acc. If he hadn’t done it before you might have a point.

This team has a new OC, lost it’s top three RBs, top two WRs, six OG, with no spring and limited preseason, and opened on the road against two upper division conference opponents.

have the last two weeks been awful, yes, but its not in a vacuum. There are legitimate reasons why things are as bad as they are.
And...the team didn't play in a bowl game in 2019 or have 4 weeks of extra practices leading up to a bowl (unlike UNC and Pitt). I'm not suggesting that accounts for, or excuses, just how pathetic the offense has been. But, it seems reasonable to assume that it was a contributing factor to some degree.

Some odd stats:

In our last 11 games vs P5 we only have 2 wins. In those games TD was:

6-15 105 2 TDs
2-3 27

So a combined 8-18 132 yards and 2 TDs. But in our losses vs the P5 last year his numbers were good:

142-218 65.1% 1496 yards or 213.7 per game 9 TDs and only 2 INTs 134.57 rating

Last year he was much better in the 2nd half of games. His numbers were great when we are losing by 15+ points, which unfortunately were 25% of his attempts last year.

In fairness, 100% of the teams we’ve played so far have been ranked. What’s the highest number of ranked teams GRob ever had to lose to ... I mean play ... in a season? I’m guessing 3, maybe 4.
Pitt was only ranked because the Big 10 and Pac 12 isn't playing.

Some odd stats:

In our last 11 games vs P5 we only have 2 wins. In those games TD was:

6-15 105 2 TDs
2-3 27

So a combined 8-18 132 yards and 2 TDs. But in our losses vs the P5 last year his numbers were good:

142-218 65.1% 1496 yards or 213.7 per game 9 TDs and only 2 INTs 134.57 rating

Last year he was much better in the 2nd half of games. His numbers were great when we are losing by 15+ points, which unfortunately were 25% of his attempts last year.

I think teams bring less pressure when they have a lead. We are unable to handle the blitz (QB, OL, RB, coaching all contribute). Tommy can pick teams apart if he has time and the confidence.

Pitt was only ranked because the Big 10 and Pac 12 isn't playing.

Pitt is a very good defense, and the team is in the top third of the conference this year.

This is an important game. Saturday will be very telling. They have a completely new system and youth in key spots.

Pitt is a very good defense, and the team is in the top third of the conference this year.
Maybe but has nothing to do with what I said which was at 25 PITT was only ranked last week because the Big 10 and Pac 12 aren't playing. Will they be ranked in 8 weeks...maybe but if they play like they did against us, my guess is they won't be.

top 25 is still top 25 of 50 teams right now.. who does look good? who in the B12 looked good other than OK? Who in the ACC looked good other than Clemson.. if we had a functional Oline we might be 2-0 and still not be any great shakes

There are no excuses for the dreadful offensive stats. Zero. We aren't talking some below average numbers. We are talking historically bad, record-breaking (not in a good way) numbers. Some OOC games to tune up or some extra practices wouldn't take this offense from being one of the worst I've ever seen to somehow being 2-0 and humming along.

In fairness, 100% of the teams we’ve played so far have been ranked. What’s the highest number of ranked teams GRob ever had to lose to ... I mean play ... in a season? I’m guessing 3, maybe 4.

Pitt wouldn’t be a top 25 team if the Big and PAC were playing. They will also be sub 500 by the end of the season. I also wouldn’t be surprised if NC is sub 500 this year. Let’s not act like this was Notre Dame and Clemson we played.

Do you really think Devito has proven himself a capable ACC QB???
This is his second year starting in basically the same offense and he looks worse than ever. Remember Gilbert didn’t install a new scheme so much as he was hired to run Dino’s existing O.

Devito seems to have regressed since he debuted in relief of Dungey 2 years ago. He doesn’t look confident out there. He doesn’t seem to trust his arm or instincts to get the ball out quick like he needs to with another terrible OL in front of him.

of course there are other factors at play but I don’t see anything to make me believe TD is capable of leading this team to wins over decent opponents.

If you have any confidence left in our QB then you must be an incredibly optimistic person. All the power to you on that brother. It’s prob better than dealing with the reality of this season.

Last edited:
Enough with the excuses about the teams we’ve played and extraordinary circumstances. Everyone is facing the exact same issues, but we’re the ones who've up put historically putrid numbers so far, & it’s a carryover from the horrible numbers of last year. IOW, this isn’t some aberration.
HCDB came in as a offensive guru, yet here we are looking at a 2nd straight year of maybe the worst OL/QB/WR play, not to mention OC play-calling, that i can ever remember at SU. This stretch rivals the lean pre-Coach Mac years, and the worst of GRob. I never imagined having to compare a Dino offense to that abomination, yet here we are.
I want Dino as HC- but we have to show a pulse this year, even under these very unusual circumstances, or next year will be make or break for him.

Last edited:

I don’t think too many people are trying to put everything on Devito. I’m not, with a first rate offensive line he could be a solid QB. It’s not where we are, and it’s frustrating. I see a QB with the same drawbacks he had last year . Holding on to the ball too long , poor pocket presence and no ability throw on the run. It’s the best we got then all right , EDs just don’t come along every day.

Really wish NCAA had stats like NFL. Very curious to see what our chart woudl be.

We have to have the toughest SOS of teams who have played 3 games?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom