yards per play vs yards per game - big difference | Syracusefan.com

yards per play vs yards per game - big difference

Millhouse

Living Legend
we're 35th in yards per play and 78th in yards per game. Edit, i flipped those, it's the other around. yards per play will get better with time. already a big improvement over last year

i don't think it's going to be long before we're better than most peers per play. amplifying that advantage will make us more likely to win (goofy flukes won't make as much different)

with the defense being so bad, it might bite us this year but we have to suffer through it to teach the offense. it's not worth white knuckling.

louisville's offense goofs up the defensive stats so much, who knows what we can glean from that. we have to hope our offense forces other teams to panic and do something stupid with turnovers.

Last edited:
When you pull out FCS matchups for all FBS teams we are 101st in ypp and 54th in total yards. To early for any of it to matter at this point but imo, yards per play, points per possession and advanced offensive efficiency are the best indicators of offensive success over the course of a season.

The old total yards and points per game that so many are stuck on are archaic and to use a board term meathead stats.

I always appreciate your stat analysis posts millhouse. They are very informative.

we're 35th in yards per play and 78th in yards per game. yards per play will get better with time. already a big improvement over last year

i don't think it's going to be long before we're better than most peers per play. amplifying that advantage will make us more likely to win (goofy flukes won't make as much different)

with the defense being so bad, it might bite us this year but we have to suffer through it to teach the offense. it's not worth white knuckling.

louisville's offense goofs up the defensive stats so much, who knows what we can glean from that. we have to hope our offense forces other teams to panic and do something stupid with turnovers.

Agreed across the board. Colgate was an outlier in many respects--FCS team, first game running the new system, etc.

Hopefully, Louisville will be a bit of an outlier, too, both in terms of YPP and YPG [on BOTH sides of the ball].

When you pull out FCS matchups for all FBS teams we are 101st in ypp and 54th in total yards. To early for any of it to matter at this point but imo, yards per play, points per possession and advanced offensive efficiency are the best indicators of offensive success over the course of a season.

The old total yards and points per game that so many are stuck on are archaic and to use a board term meathead stats.

I always appreciate your stat analysis posts millhouse. They are very informative.
Thanks. I wish there was an adjusted yards per play. Rushing yards are worth more than passing yards but who knows how much more (teams run when they're winning so it makes rushing look like the key to winning. ) But all else equal, running for three hundred is better than passing for 400

Beat USF and Louisville beats FSU, who can't stop their offense. All will feel right in the world.

Gameday is at Louisville this weekend and it's a noon start. Has that ever happened? When Corso makes his pick with the Seminole war chant, isn't everyone going to be in the stadium already?

Surprised their not either going to Norman, or they didn't have a 6 day window to move the game to 3:30 at least.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom