YES Network to televise ACC basketball and football games and Big East basketball games | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

YES Network to televise ACC basketball and football games and Big East basketball games

This isn't good for the ACC IMO. It means Fox is thumbing its nose in the face of the ACC while it may be good for YES and SU NY/NJ/CT fans with YES it means FOX is basically saying sorry we won't sell back those tier third tier rights the ACC needs from FOX to create an ACC network with ESPN. By FOX subleasing these ACC games across the country they are basically saying well ACC these rights are worth more and more and so we aren't going to sell them cheaply and in fact we just may keep them for the next decade because they are cheap for us to syndicate on all the regional FOX Sports Channels across the USA and YES which is owned majority by News Corp.
This isn't good for the ACC while some may think it is the ACC needs to buy back the Raycom and FOX Sports subleased third tier rights to be able to launch its own network.

I think it will resolve in the end. ESPN will start the ACCN with or without the 3rd tier content. In the end, FOX will not want to show ACC games when they have their own content and interests to advance (read BTN). This is merely FOX driving up the price before they actually sell the rights back to the ACC/ESPN.

Besides, even if FOX needed additional content, there are enough mid-majors, Div. II and Div. III available on the cheap, FOX can take the sales proceeds, buy new content and pocket the change. Their real profits will come from B1G games, the rest is just filler.

A Nuke from Youk.

A Pronk's Bomber.

Wells rings the bells, the Bronx is Vernon.

Andruw Jones makes his bones.

Russell with muscle.

LOL I don't recognize the second one, thank god. The worst has to be "Mark sent a text message" or an A bomb from Arod.

This isn't good for the ACC IMO. It means Fox is thumbing its nose in the face of the ACC while it may be good for YES and SU NY/NJ/CT fans with YES it means FOX is basically saying sorry we won't sell back those tier third tier rights the ACC needs from FOX to create an ACC network with ESPN. By FOX subleasing these ACC games across the country they are basically saying well ACC these rights are worth more and more and so we aren't going to sell them cheaply and in fact we just may keep them for the next decade because they are cheap for us to syndicate on all the regional FOX Sports Channels across the USA and YES which is owned majority by News Corp.
This isn't good for the ACC while some may think it is the ACC needs to buy back the Raycom and FOX Sports subleased third tier rights to be able to launch its own network.
Well said...and yes...Fox is driving up the cost of the rights...but ESPN and Fox have worked together previously and I presume that over time Fox will sell at a price favorable to it.

Good for those of you who get YES. Looks like the computer for me. I was always amazed I got MSG on cable here just outside of Boston. YES - not so much. :noidea:

Isn't NESN still carrying a number of games? I doubt they would drop ACC coverage with BC in its backyard.

SNY did a great job with Big East coverage. This was always one of my concerns when SU joined the ACC.

Hopefully everything will iron out, but doubt we'll ever see the coverage we had with SNY. Everything is too splintered now in the NY area with UConn, SU and Rutgers all in different conferences. No reason anymore for the NY stations to dedicate coverage to one conference.

Before getting too happy about games appearing on YES there are some potential major conflicts that could keep SU games from airing. Yankees games in Sept/Oct would pre-empt SU football if there are conflicts. YES also is the carrier for the Brooklyn Nets which means lots of potential conflicts during hoops season. SNY had no conflicts Nov-Feb. I hope there will be other outlets (MSG?) in addition.

Isn't NESN still carrying a number of games? I doubt they would drop ACC coverage with BC in its backyard.

SNY did a great job with Big East coverage. This was always one of my concerns when SU joined the ACC.

Hopefully everything will iron out, but doubt we'll ever see the coverage we had with SNY. Everything is too splintered now in the NY area with UConn, SU and Rutgers all in different conferences. No reason anymore for the NY stations to dedicate coverage to one conference.
Yes, NESN carries games. My concern is that I got to see a lot of SU games on SNY. Why it was on my system, I didn't know and didn't care. All I cared about was I got it. YES? No.

Axe's story today said that YES has confirmed that MSG will be the other carrier in the NY area. No confirmation yet, though, from MSG.

I sense this TV merry-go-round is going to be a topic of discussion for some time to come.

This is why - dare I say - I wanted another NY area team (Rutgers or UConn) in the ACC mix. It would have firmed up the TV situation and likely avoided the three-ring circus we're about to enter. Now we're going to get a mish-mash of coverage, scheduled games that suddenly don't appear because they've been preempted by a Nets, Rangers or Yankees game.

Yes, NESN carries games. My concern is that I got to see a lot of SU games on SNY. Why it was on my system, I didn't know and didn't care. All I cared about was I got it. YES? No.

I hear you. This was one of my big concerns with the conference change. You'll be getting your SU coverage from a variety of channels and will probably miss out on some games you used to get in the past. I think that will even be the case for those who get YES and MSG.

I don't expect YES and MSG to dedicate coverage to the ACC. There's only one school, really, from their PRIMARY coverage area in the conference. I don't expect YES or MSG to have pre or post-game shows (like SNY did). They'll squeeze in games where they can.

An ACC Network, down the road, should solve some of these problems.

I hope.

But I expect that to come from a bunch of guys with southern drawls from a studio in Greensboro.

Axe's story today said that YES has confirmed that MSG will be the other carrier in the NY area. No confirmation yet, though, from MSG.

I sense this TV merry-go-round is going to be a topic of discussion for some time to come.

This is why - dare I say - I wanted another NY area team (Rutgers or UConn) in the ACC mix. It would have firmed up the TV situation and likely avoided the three-ring circus we're about to enter. Now we're going to get a mish-mash of coverage, scheduled games that suddenly don't appear because they've been preempted by a Nets, Rangers or Yankees game.

I'll steal a favorite line.

Oh Lord.

SNY televised 17 Big East games live last year, with another 13 shown on tape delay. They also showed 100 Big East men's basketball games, with 84 of those shown live.

YES is apparently only televising 10 ACC football games and 23 basketball games.

I am hopeful YES and MSG will provide cover more football games than SNY did since they have 14 football programs to show instead of 8. There is actually less inventory for ACC basketball but I would hope between YES and MSG, they will show numbers close to what SNY showed last year.

The ideal partner for showing games is SNY given their lack of inventory and the struggles the Mets have had in recent years. Surprised that YES, with its ties to Fox and thus the B1G, is getting in bed with arch rival ACC.

When the ACC Network is in place, will the ACC agreements with the regional sports networks just go away?

SNY televised 17 Big East games live last year, with another 13 shown on tape delay. They also showed 100 Big East men's basketball games, with 84 of those shown live.

YES is apparently only televising 10 ACC football games and 23 basketball games.

I am hopeful YES and MSG will provide cover more football games than SNY did since they have 14 football programs to show instead of 8. There is actually less inventory for ACC basketball but I would hope between YES and MSG, they will show numbers close to what SNY showed last year.

The ideal partner for showing games is SNY given their lack of inventory and the struggles the Mets have had in recent years. Surprised that YES, with its ties to Fox and thus the B1G, is getting in bed with arch rival ACC.

When the ACC Network is in place, will the ACC agreements with the regional sports networks just go away?

no the acc will have to buy those rights back

LOL I don't recognize the second one, thank god. The worst has to be "Mark sent a text message" or an A bomb from Arod.
seems like you guys have em all covered.

somebody tell Hal to give sterling a raise and sign him up for another decade.

the Yankees thank you for patronage and publicity, for theres no such thing as bad publicity.

mission...accomplished.

I didn't see the duration of the agreement anywhere. I may have missed it, but maybe this is only a gap measure as you suggest.

Many questions yet to be answered.

But I did see this coming.

If the YES and MSG coverage is anything like NESN's ACC coverage, it will be catch as catch can. Oddball games, games at odd hours, etc.

SNY is still going to give a lot of time to UConn. Rutgers will be on SNY this year, I imagine, then switch over to YES when it joins the B1G. I also imagine that the B1G coverage on YES will overshadow the ACC coverage once RU makes the move since YES has a bigger investment there.

Last season SNY showed 10 SU regular season basketball games live in NYC. That was all but 3 of the games that were not on ESPN/ESPN2 or a broadcast network (basically CBS). I think 1 game was also on MSG (Seton Hall or St. John's I forget which). I hope YES/MSG will combine to air those 10 games. It would really be poor, and detrimental to the ACC if SU were to end up with less coverage in the NYC area.

I hear you. This was one of my big concerns with the conference change. You'll be getting your SU coverage from a variety of channels and will probably miss out on some games you used to get in the past. I think that will even be the case for those who get YES and MSG.

I don't expect YES and MSG to dedicate coverage to the ACC. There's only one school, really, from their PRIMARY coverage area in the conference. I don't expect YES or MSG to have pre or post-game shows (like SNY did). They'll squeeze in games where they can.

An ACC Network, down the road, should solve some of these problems.

I hope.

But I expect that to come from a bunch of guys with southern drawls from a studio in Greensboro.
As long as they show me the games, they can do the commentary in Swahili for all I care.

I can hear it now:

Raftery, after Jerami hits the game winning shot - "Vitunguu maji!!"

Go ahead - put it in Google Translate

found this post by mattsarz on ncaabbs acc board on a potential msg/yes split:

Based on the ROOT & YES releases, the YES/MSG sharing should breakdown like this

YES: 10 football & 23 men's basketball games
MSG: 7 football & 20 men's baskeball games

Then some split on the other rights

I wonder if the cny central deal will allow them to show those non conference basketball games not on ESPN,2,U or ACC RSN games along with ACCN games

seems like you guys have em all covered.

somebody tell Hal to give sterling a raise and sign him up for another decade.

the Yankees thank you for patronage and publicity, for theres no such thing as bad publicity.

mission...accomplished.
He's been going to 2 calls of late on some players.
I miss "Monsieur Martin, est la!".
It sure beats, "Swishalicious!"
"The Gardener plants one!"
"The Cisco Kid!"
and finally, “Ichiro, the Yankees’ rising son, says sayonara!”
Jeter's is boring compared to most. Honestly, who cares what Stewart's is?
John and Suzyn are so bad they make me laugh. It's kind of like train wreck radio. I find them much more entertaining than the Mets broadcast. I like O'Neill, Cone and Leiter, if he still does Yankees broadcasts. Remy on the Red Sox is horrible. Even though I dislike the Dodgers, Vin Scully is the Gold Standard. Finally, I can't WAIT until McCarver retires!!

So basically since I live 2 hours from Syracuse, almost every time I go to tune in to a SU game it will be blacked out... still.

Great. Thank god we're living in the 1960's.

found this post by mattsarz on ncaabbs acc board on a potential msg/yes split:
The Fox Regional sports guy specifically mentioned the SU/NYC connection. Could that mean SU games might be featured beyond what might otherwise be expected? (Hey, I can hope.)