Your Best and Worst Dome Memories | Syracusefan.com

Your Best and Worst Dome Memories

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
I gotta stop checking the ticketmaster map.

This threads simple. Share your best memory at the dome, and your worst. This is for football, no basketball.

Right nows a time to be excited and proud, so lets think about the journey along the way.

My best memory: Vtech win 2016. Nobody expected us to win. It showed me Dino was the real deal and likely the right fit for Cuse. We dominated the Hokies and had the most electric post game atmosphere in memory. It felt like pride and culture were returning to the hill and little did I know at the time we’d beat Clemson a year later.

Worst: The Lamar Jackson hurdle game. Stayed the entire game. Took it on the chin. Sat in nachos by mistake too. Awful. Honestly felt like that was rock bottom. Now I look back on it as my memory of witnessing greatness. But at the time it felt like there werent enough dome foams in the world to sit through another low point like that

Worst: 1997 NC State. Just thumped Wisconsin in the Meadowlands. There's talk that this team could be a darkhorse national title contender, and then...that game. To lose in OT to an NC State team that had not really been a decent team previously was so deflating. The 'Pack ended up 6-5 that year, so it wasn't like they were some dominant team.

Best: This is tough. Probably the VPI game in '98, but I was at the Miami game that year too, and that one was great. I'll take the win over Tech though. That game was all over the map, and one of the most exciting overall games I've ever been to.

I gotta stop checking the ticketmaster map.

This threads simple. Share your best memory at the dome, and your worst. This is for football, no basketball.

Right nows a time to be excited and proud, so lets think about the journey along the way.

My best memory: Vtech win 2016. Nobody expected us to win. It showed me Dino was the real deal and likely the right fit for Cuse. We dominated the Hokies and had the most electric post game atmosphere in memory. It felt like pride and culture were returning to the hill and little did I know at the time we’d beat Clemson a year later.

Worst: The Lamar Jackson hurdle game. Stayed the entire game. Took it on the chin. Sat in nachos by mistake too. Awful. Honestly felt like that was rock bottom. Now I look back on it as my memory of witnessing greatness. But at the time it felt like there werent enough dome foams in the world to sit through another low point like that
The losses are easy. Anytime we lost to Rutgers at the Dome. All were bad. Lots of great wins during the heyday. Sometimes we took too much for granted. We had a lot of great players. It's like asking who was your favorite QB? Was it McPherson, Graves or McNabb? Or how about Dungey or Schrader?

(Editor's note: I started attending games as a freshman in 1991, so no 1987 Dome memories for me, nor the 1984 Nebraska game)

Best: 1998 McNabb to Brominski vs Virginia Tech

Runner up: 1991 Dar Dar Reverse vs Florida

Worst: 1992 Gedney (RIP) tackled at the 3 to end the game against Miami

Runner up 1: 1998 Tennessee FG going thru the uprights

Runner up 2: 1994 Oklahoma FG going thru the uprights

Worst: Iowa 2006. Cuse shoulda won that game. I remember our guys getting stuffed at the goal line like 8 times in a row in OT. Disappointing for little kid me.

Favorite: Purdue 2022. Recency bias maybe but the crowd was electric. Brohm played a good heel. And the come from behind game winning TD was extremely cathartic.

Worst: Iowa 2006. Cuse shoulda won that game. I remember our guys getting stuffed at the goal line like 8 times in a row in OT. Disappointing for little kid me.

Favorite: Purdue 2022. Recency bias maybe but the crowd was electric. Brohm played a good heel. And the come from behind game winning TD was extremely cathartic.

Iowa 2006 was my first CFB ever and first as a Freshman. I was utterly heartbroken.

Also Wake last year really hurt.

Best was probably Rutgers 2009 (Upset they were ranked), and probably Wake OT win 2019.

Best / Worst. Gedney Miami game.

First game attended, tremendous atmosphere, attended with dad, uncle's, grandfather.

Amazing time, agonizing defeat.

Best- WVU 1987
Next Best- SU-Temple, October 11. 1980. I'm at my wedding reception at the old Glen Loch in Jamesville and my wife and I periodically snuck into the bar to catch the score scrolling on TV. I was not "at" the Dome but it fits given the occasion.

Worst- Clemson in the Dome. My Brother has stage 4 prostate cancer that will eventually claim him, he has lost a ton of weight and energy due to radiation, and a young and drunk Clemson fan starts giving him crap as my Brother walked in front of him to go grab some snacks. My Brother, lousy condition, weighing next to nothing, was still not about to take crap from a drunken clown from the visiting team and he talked trash right back. The drunken Clemson kid shut his mouth.

So my in dome experience is limited. I only had seasons for a few years and went to a game here or there before that.

Best: That may be McNabb to Brominski '98. I would also put the the first half of VPI in 2000 when Freeney showed Vick who the man was.

Worst: Probably the second half of VPI in 2000 when the offense went into a shell and Freeney was hurt. We had them and couldn't hold the lead on a team that played for the NC.

Best : WVU ‘87, people my age will remember before ‘87 it wasn’t much different than the current state of the program over the past 20 years. ‘87 was special, there weren’t any bad performances up until that point (I think SU fell down early to BC but stormed back by halftime.). This was the chance to go undefeated and BAM Major Harris slaps all of us in the face, sitting and watching I was a sophomore in HS and I was like this is the dud we have all come to expect. Lucy is gonna pull that football and all of us Charlie Browns are gonna fall on our backs. But it didn’t happen and the regular season triumph was complete. It was pandemonium in that place and now at 51 I can still feel the energy.

Runner up…Florida my sophomore year. Cuse kicked their Arse from the opening kickoff. It was complete domination over mighty SEC. Florida didn’t look like the belonged on the same field.

Worst. I still haven’t gotten over Chris Gedney (RIP) tackled at the 3. I can will feel the awful feeling in the pit of my stomach. The U was the U then and there was no doubt about it. It probably was the loudest game ever. I can still remember my ears ringing two days after.

Best- The opener against Miami of Ohio. It felt like we were in a big time facility, the exact opposite of old Archbold. It was packed and very exciting!

Worst- I don't recall the year but it was a loss to Rutgers during the Greg Robinson (May he Rest In Peace!) years. The schiano smirk after the post game handshake poured salt on my wounded Orange pride. OttoinGrotto will definitely see him in Hell.

Best - WV '87, 2nd best (not in Dome) - '93 Fiesta Bowl.
Worst - (not in Dome) '97 Fiesta Bowl v KState, 2nd worst - the 30-29 loss to Okie in '94. The Dan Conley game.

Worst 92 Miami
Best 87 PSU
Pearl shake and bake Georgetown
2003 Pitt

Best- The opener against Miami of Ohio. It felt like we were in a big time facility, the exact opposite of old Archbold. It was packed and very exciting!

Worst- I don't recall the year but it was a loss to Rutgers during the Greg Robinson (May he Rest In Peace!) years. The schiano smirk after the post game handshake poured salt on my wounded Orange pride. OttoinGrotto will definitely see him in Hell.
God, I had almost forgotten about Gerg (may he rest in peace)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom