Your Best and Worst Dome Memories | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Your Best and Worst Dome Memories

This would be a dark-horse pick for me. Great game. Very rainy day.

Yes, I remember that game well. Was when a buddy said they should dome this whole gd city.

Beating WVU and BC in 1995 (both quite easily) was more satisfying than any newer fan could understand. Had lost to both in 1994 without scoring a point in either game. Quickly vaulted McNabb to god like status.

Almost knocked off Miami that year too, but we had a 2018/2022 Clemson kinda 2nd half.

Great memory! For some reason I think Freeney was dinged up coming into the game Hurricanes offensive line has height, weight advantage over undersized SU defensive front
The best defensive end in the country against the best left tackle. I seem to remember the media hyping this match-up quite a bit. Mckinney hadn't allowed a sack since he was in grade school or some nonsense like that. A lot of double teams and holding that day. One of the few games I've been to at the Dome. Only play I really remember was early in that game, we had a wide receiver open deep and RJ or Nunes over threw him. Would have walked into the end zone.

The best defensive end in the country against the best left tackle. I seem to remember the media hyping this match-up quite a bit. Mckinney hadn't allowed a sack since he was in grade school or some nonsense like that. A lot of double teams and holding that day. One of the few games I've been to at the Dome. Only play I really remember was early in that game, we had a wide receiver open deep and RJ or Nunes over threw him. Would have walked into the end zone.
Game I'm talking about was in Miami & we got blown out, sucked

I think the worst Dome experiences for me were:
  • The soul crushing losses to Miami in '92 when we were SO CLOSE, and hadn't slain that Goliath yet.
  • Losing to Tennessee in the '98 opener, with so many strange calls against us by the officiating crew.
  • Honorable mention goes to NC State, where Torey Holt is still running around uncovered in my nightmares, while we give up the tying TD / go ahead two point conversion with only 10 defenders on the field.

Best Dome experiences for me were:
  • Syracuse beating Georgetown in 1989 -- huge comeback / OT win in Sherman's last game in the Dome.
  • Syracuse beating Pitt in 2003, our national championship year -- never heard the Dome louder.
  • Beating Miami in 1998 -- non-stop party from the opening kick en route to a 66-13 drubbing.
  • Winning the 1988 lax championship in front of the home crowd
  • And last but not least, Penn State 1987 -- amazing

Last edited:
Game I'm talking about was in Miami & we got blown out, sucked
I must be conflating the 2000 and 2001 games. I was at the 2000 game which we also lost 26-0, but the Freeney/Mckinney game was 2001. It sucks getting old.

Best and worst is Oklahoma 94.

First game in the dome. First and last time changing fandom from the eagles to the Orangemen.

Weird feeling but as soon as Harrison ran for the td I never looked back.

Losing made it very hard though. Rough end.

Bonus best is The Rolling Stones 94 w my future wife
That Stones show was great. Took my younger brother, who thought he didn't like them to it. Totally changed his mind.

I gotta stop checking the ticketmaster map.

This threads simple. Share your best memory at the dome, and your worst. This is for football, no basketball.

Right nows a time to be excited and proud, so lets think about the journey along the way.

My best memory: Vtech win 2016. Nobody expected us to win. It showed me Dino was the real deal and likely the right fit for Cuse. We dominated the Hokies and had the most electric post game atmosphere in memory. It felt like pride and culture were returning to the hill and little did I know at the time we’d beat Clemson a year later.

Worst: The Lamar Jackson hurdle game. Stayed the entire game. Took it on the chin. Sat in nachos by mistake too. Awful. Honestly felt like that was rock bottom. Now I look back on it as my memory of witnessing greatness. But at the time it felt like there werent enough dome foams in the world to sit through another low point like that
Best: Penn State 1987.

Worst: Tennessee 1998

Best: Penn State 1987.

Worst: Tennessee 1998
Best part about 87 was Rob Moore forgot he was on the field for the play they called on Thursday as the 1st play of the game (to him)

Wrong sport but Digger brought ND and David Rivers in for a noncon game in February? of 84, 85.ot 86, it was one of those years because we had Pearl. ND waxed us that day and Rivers went off, I don’t think the game was ever close.

Best 87 2pt conversion to go undefeated. Worst almost being pushed off a landing because I stopped to watch a Waymon Tisdale dunk

Best 87 2pt conversion to go undefeated. Worst almost being pushed off a landing because I stopped to watch a Waymon Tisdale dunk
Tisdale put on just about the greatest show a visiting player ever produced. I remember thinking this guy is just about the best player I’ve ever seen. And that included a lot of great players who had great games in the Dome from David Robison to Jordan to Olajawn.

I'm a bit young for the 90s glory years of FB so honestly the OT loss to Rutgers in maybe 2011? That one sucked.

Can't top Clemson 2017 for football. Basketball I'll say either Duke 2014 or Pitt 03

Wrong sport but Digger brought ND and David Rivers in for a noncon game in February? of 84, 85.ot 86, it was one of those years because we had Pearl. ND waxed us that day and Rivers went off, I don’t think the game was ever close.
clarification, Syracuse lost to ND that day, 81-85 so it was a close game. Rivers did have a big game. I remembered it not being close but I was obviously off the mark in my memory banks.

BEST: Joe Morris vs Navy in 1978 had over 200 yards I believe. I used to occasionally give Joe a ride from campus to Skytop.

WORST: Any time Pittsburg and Tony Dorsett came to town. I still have vivid memories of him running willy nilly through our secondary and no one could stop him. Every year….

Last edited:
Lots of great memories of going to the Dome. I always think of my Dad whenever I go.

Worst memory was probably when the cheerleader Michelle Munn fell off the top of the cheerleader pyramid. I was sitting in the 3rd deck and you could hear a pin drop, The only sound was her crying out in pain. It was very unsettling.

Best Dome memory was my first game. 1/28/85 My dad took me to see SU vs Georgetown on my 8th birthday. Worst is also a Georgetown game. The final time the Hoyas visited the Dome with both teams still in Big East. A miserable 46-57 loss on 2/23/13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom