Your Best and Worst Dome Memories | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Your Best and Worst Dome Memories

Most fun wild card - 2011 Wake Forest - Because of 1998 PTSD, I don't leave games early that are remotely in reach. Might have been 15k of us left in the Dome singing Don't Stop believing and to see Ant Bailey's majestic 53 yard TD run directly towards my seat. "He got the edge... Sweet first down... Wait, they're not catching him?!?! THEY'RE NOT GONNA CATCH HIM!!!"
Great recollection and agree on all counts- I don’t know if that game was even televised, I have occasionally looked for it on YouTube without success. Crazy comeback in front of a very lean crowd, insane win!

Best - I have not been in the Dome for many wins. I'll go with 2009 Northwestern. Marrone's first win followed by his rousing victory speech giving the game ball to the Chamber of Commerce.

Worst - Pitt under Shafer. Must have been 2015. We were ahead most of the game but Pitt ended with a 10 minute possession where everyone knew we weren't going to get the ball back. Got my first and only temporary (deserved) ban from this board that day.

worst: 1)Tn '98 missing the chance to be nationally relevant to a degree not seen since '59
2)PSU think 2005 under Gerg, left first quarter, had a full meal at Ichiban, went back game was still in the 4th
3) Rutty last year leaving my seat when I saw Tommy still in there knowing we were seeing the end
his time here after so much hope

Best: UM '98 66-13 beat down, '98 VT, and "The Dungy game" Clemson '17, 1980 opening game of dome

worst: 1)Tn '98 missing the chance to be nationally relevant to a degree not seen since '59
2)PSU think 2005 under Gerg, left first quarter, had a full meal at Ichiban, went back game was still in the 4th
3) Rutty last year leaving my seat when I saw Tommy still in there knowing we were seeing the end
his time here after so much hope

Best: UM '98 66-13 beat down, '98 VT, and "The Dungy game" Clemson '17, 1980 opening game of dome
The Penn State debacle was actually 2008. I've seen that referenced a few times here as one of the worst moments and it was as we looked like an FCS team against Bama that day.

Best the Kirby Dar Dar return and beat down of Spurrier,

Worst -rutgers. They stunk and we were worse.

Best - Clemson 2017 off the top of my head feels pretty easy. Won tickets on the HCDB show for answering a question for somehow knowing Syracuse had beaten Clemson in the 1996 Gator 41-0... little things like that you remember on a win so special. We had seats in the 300's Syracuse side right on the 50. They were perfect. Me and my buddies ran through the concourse jumping down stairs to make our way Down and storm the field - we couldn't miss that opportunity. We eventually found ourself singing the alma mater with the band sandwiched between Dontae Strickland, More Neal & Eric Dungey. Man, what a night.

Worst - Taking a basketball turn. Not sure why this game has stuck with me but alas... February 2013 The "Otto Porter Game". Tons of hype #11 GTown vs #8 Cuse and a RECORD attendance of 35,012; I swear I was sitting behind one of the jerseys that hang from the rafters. The Cuse came in with a 38-Game home winning streak and Otto Porter put up 33. It was like watching a slow death, I distinctly remember watching them (Southerland namely) try and get the crowd going putting up DEEP threes while Porter would just go down and score and the more they tried to get going the bigger the lead got.

Worst - not officially the worst but probably my earliest dome memory. I was 7 or 8 years old and I was at my first basketball game. I was standing and cheering a lot. A couple of guys in the row behind us yelled at me to sit down. I felt embarrassed like I did something wrong. After my dad exchanged some words I spent the rest of the game afraid that a fight might break out.
Man, that’s a tough spot. Good on your father for saying something, but yeah that’s stressful. Some people are just miserable with life.

Worst - not officially the worst but probably my earliest dome memory. I was 7 or 8 years old and I was at my first basketball game. I was standing and cheering a lot. A couple of guys in the row behind us yelled at me to sit down. I felt embarrassed like I did something wrong. After my dad exchanged some words I spent the rest of the game afraid that a fight might break out.

Quite the origin story.

Seriously, what kind of miserable loser yells at a little kid to sit down at a sporting event?

(Editor's note: I started attending games as a freshman in 1991, so no 1987 Dome memories for me, nor the 1984 Nebraska game)

Best: 1998 McNabb to Brominski vs Virginia Tech

Runner up: 1991 Dar Dar Reverse vs Florida

Worst: 1992 Gedney (RIP) tackled at the 3 to end the game against Miami

Runner up 1: 1998 Tennessee FG going thru the uprights

Runner up 2: 1994 Oklahoma FG going thru the uprights
I'm on the exact same time frame as you, and we agree on the best. Although there were a LOT of great moments in the stretch from '91 to '01.

Worst for me was the loss to NC State in '97. Just soul crushing after we annihilated Wisconsin the week prior.

If we go beyond purely football memories, I'd say the worst was when the referee collapsed during the '01 East Carolina game and was repeatedly hit with the defibrillator paddles on the field in front of the crowd.

Best is Clemson 2019. Yes, we got crushed. But I took my kids, we spent all day on campus, and just had a total blast. Lifetime memories despite the horrible outcome.

Best was easily Clemson but Purdue got close and WVU in 2011 on a Friday night gets an honorable mention.

Worst was the home loss to Akron on homecoming in 2008 but I had plenty of low points being a student from 08-12.
Best - Penn state win 87
Worst- Greg Robinson era

I'm on the exact same time frame as you, and we agree on the best. Although there were a LOT of great moments in the stretch from '91 to '01.

Worst for me was the loss to NC State in '97. Just soul crushing after we annihilated Wisconsin the week prior.

If we go beyond purely football memories, I'd say the worst was when the referee collapsed during the '01 East Carolina game and was repeatedly hit with the defibrillator paddles on the field in front of the crowd.

Best is Clemson 2019. Yes, we got crushed. But I took my kids, we spent all day on campus, and just had a total blast. Lifetime memories despite the horrible outcome.

I was fortunate to have not attended the 1997 NC State game. I think it would definitely be my #1.

Yeah, as far as moments go, when they announced McNabb on that senior day against Miami in 1998 has to be up there. Place was full early and electric, no one wanted to miss that senior day celebration.

I have told the story before and since it was basketball I left out but my earliest best/worst moment in the mid 80s yelling "it's a miracle" after able bodied people walked off the court after helping fill out rosters in a halftime wheelchair basketball game

Was a good moment when that ref came back the following year

He wasn't right the whole game up to that point. The EMTs just strolling nice and slow with everyone screaming at them

Friend from high school getting yelled at by his wife on the phone and she's getting mad he's not talking louder as he's telling her the ref just died in hushed tones, it was the eeriest silence

Best and the worst was opening game the fact I would not get rained of snowed on at a SU home game again the best, the worst was the sweat running down my back and thinking Carrier dome and they couldn’t have the A/C working only to find out there was no A/C.
How about Joe's kickoff return to retake the lead. That made the sweat pouring off me worthwhile a very exciting opening.
Being ripped off by the officials in the Tennessee game was the worst.

Best - Syracuse upset #4 Kentucky (2/12/1994). Stormed the court. Awesome V-Day.

Worst - (other than aforementioned Miami loss at last second...), BC upset #13 Syracuse 10/2/1993. "A tipped interception of Marvin Graves's last pass stopped Syracuse 12 yards short of the goal line with 80 seconds left to play today and let Boston College capture a game it deserved to win, 33-29."

(I was actually right there to see the ball flip and flop in the air in which seemed like slow motion)

For reference: Syracuse Historical Scores

Notable ups:
9/20/80 SU 36 Miami U. 24 First game in Dome. A Red Hawk, (they were still the Redskins then) goes 88 for a score. Joe Morris takes the kickoff at the 5 and….
9/17/83 SU 35 Northwestern 0 (They had a mouthy QB named Sandy Schwab)
11/12/83 and 11/19/83 SU 21 BC 10, SU 27 W Va 16 Consecutive wins over 9-3 bowl teams to get a winning record.
9/29/84 SU 17 Nebraska 9 The only time we've ever beaten a #1 team.
11/3/84 SU 13 Pittsburgh 7 The end of an 0-11 stretch vs. the Panthers and the beginning of a 16-1-1 stretch for us.
11/16/85 SU 41 BC 21 The Eagles cover Scott Schwedes with a linebacker and he sets a record for receiving yards that lasted 31 years with 249. Afterward, we accept a bi to a bowl game for the first time in 6 years but the second time in 18 years. Mac used "bowl credibility" to recruit the Cherry Bowl class who, after a redshirt year, moved in in 1987 and turned everything around for us.
9/5/87 SU 25 Maryland 11 Our greatest Dome season begins with a long pass on the first play, which became a trademark of this team. This ends a 1-9-1 stretch vs. the Terps.
10/17/87 SU 48 Penn State 21 Starting with the 80 yarder to Rob Moore, we pound the defending national champs, building up a 41-0 lead. :) We send the reserves in too soon and suddenly it's 41-21 :(. Mac sends the starter back in and the close it out in style with a long scoring drive that chews up most of the remaining time. :cool:
11/21/87 SU 32 West Virginia 31 Michael Owens goes 65 with a screen pass. Moose Johnson goes through the whole state of West Virginia to score. Pat Kelly catches one in traffic from Donnie Mac, who then pitches to Owens for the winner while Jim Ridlon checks into Hutchings.
9/21/91 SU 38 Florida 21 We were used to winning now and it took something special to impress us. This was something special, from KDD's opening kickoff return off the reverse to the end, when we were about to score again. Steve Spurrier admitted his team had been 'whipped'. The gators had been coming off a 35-0 win over Alabama, who won all their other games and the national championship the next season. Florida, who had been ranked 5th, didn't lose again until Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl.
9/12/92 SU 31 Texas 21 Marvin Graves doesn't bring down the house but he does bring down the fence. Texas was only 6-5 that year but any victory of as blue blood is a good thing.
10/11/95 SU 22 West Virginia 0 A goal line stand followed by a 96-yard Donovan McNabb to Marvin Harrison pass, the longest pass play in SU history. I can still remember seeing the ball at the height of its arc, Marvin breaking away from his defender underneath it and I knew what was going to happen. Those are the most exciting plays - where you can see what will happen before it does.
9/28/96 SU 52 Virginia Tech 21 The rivalry with the Hokies was just warming up and we ran them out of the Dome.
11/16/96 SU 42 Army 17 The Cadets came in unbeaten and wanting to prove themselves by beating SU. But the forward pass had been invented.
11/14/98 SU 28 Virginia Tech 26 McNabb to Brominski on the last play. Ripley's Believe It or Not: In winning 28-26, we outgained the Hokies 420-152. In losing 0-62 in Blacksburg the next year, they outgained us 120-411.
11/28/98 SU 66 U of Miami 13 In a dream sequence of a game, we did this to the school that won five national championships from 1983-2001. It was Donovan McNabb's last game in the Dome and the last time two ranked football teams played each other in the Dome.
9/30/00 SU 42 Brigham Young 14 Yeah, they are still a mid-major, sort of a 4A team in baseball parlance and were only 6-6 that year but it's another score that looks good on the historical resume.
9/22/01 SU 31 Auburn 14 First game in the Dome since 9/11. And yeah, that was Auburn Dwight Freeney destroyed.
11/9/02 SU 50 Virginia Tech 42 in OT. The newspaper had a great shot taken from right behind the interception that ended it, with both the SU player and the Hokie receiver waiting for the ball to arrive. Our guy got it.
12/6/03 SU 38 Notre Dame 12 Walter Reyes x-rays for 5 touchdowns as the Orange destroy the most famous brand name in the sport. They haven't come back since - until this year!
11/21/09 SU 31 Rutgers 13 Mr. Marrone, your mission, should you decide to accept it, is to beat Rutgers, our former doormat who have enjoyed beating us 9-31, 7-38, 15-38 and 17-35 in the last four seasons.
10/21/11 SU 49 West Virginia 23 We blow out the #11 Mountaineers to go 5-2 and need just one more win to get to a bowl game, just like now.
11/10/12 SU 45 Louisville 26 We blow out the #11 Cardinals to go 5-5. But this time it's the first of four consecutive victories to end the season - and the Marrone Era - including another blow out of West Virginia, this time in the Pinstripe Bowl.
10/15/16 SU 31 Virginia Tech 17 Six years ago Dino got his first big win, over our old pals, the 17th ranked Hokies and got his first national press with the locker room celebration.
10/13/17 SU 27 Clemson 24 The modern version of "the Nebraska game" as we take down the #2 ranked tigers to go 4-3 and need only two more wins to make it to a bowl. As in 2011, we didn't get any but it was a foreshadowing of things to come.
9/15/18 SU 30 Florida State 7; 9/22/18 SU 51 Connecticut 21; 10/27 SU 51 NC State 41; 11/9 SU 54 Louisville 23. Our 2018 "revenge" tour.
11/30/19 SU 39 Wake Forest 30. Trill Williams runs to glory to cap off a weird, disappointing season.
9/3/22 SU 31 Louisville Another payback game against the Cardinals. Hey! these guys look pretty good.
9/17/22 SU 32 Purdue 29 We win a wild one against one of the better teams in the Big Ten.

Last edited:
Best: Miami beat down in 98. McNabb senior day. Smiling kick off to final whistle.

Runners up: Clemson 2017 - obvious reason. Auburn 2001- just chills listening to the crowd sing the Anthem post 9/11. Plus we crushed them.

98VT was cool, but I was so pissed that game was even close I was more relieved than excited. We should have blown them out. Was not P’s best moment.

Worst: Tenn 98. The uniform penalties were the biggest BS I’ve ever seen done to a home team.

The blowout embarrassing losses were more numbing than worst moments. Though PSU in 2008 was tough to take sitting next to my JoePa worshipping BIL.

Have been way more “worst losses” in hoops.

I gotta stop checking the ticketmaster map.

This threads simple. Share your best memory at the dome, and your worst. This is for football, no basketball.

Right nows a time to be excited and proud, so lets think about the journey along the way.

My best memory: Vtech win 2016. Nobody expected us to win. It showed me Dino was the real deal and likely the right fit for Cuse. We dominated the Hokies and had the most electric post game atmosphere in memory. It felt like pride and culture were returning to the hill and little did I know at the time we’d beat Clemson a year later.

Worst: The Lamar Jackson hurdle game. Stayed the entire game. Took it on the chin. Sat in nachos by mistake too. Awful. Honestly felt like that was rock bottom. Now I look back on it as my memory of witnessing greatness. But at the time it felt like there werent enough dome foams in the world to sit through another low point like that
Note: I was overseas on the USS Saratoga in 1987 so I dont have any memories for that year: Though it was awesome waking up my best friend who was a Penn State fan to tell him the score that I heard on Armed Forces Network Radio. Upon our return to the states my dad brought a VHS tape and we made him watch the game on our VCR on the ship.

Best: Opening Night in the Dome: It was sooooo hot...loved the goal line stand where the refs were threatening to take away SU's timeouts because the crowd was too loud. Lil Joe's kickoff return was phenomenal.

2nd Best: Probably 98 VT and 17 Clemson...

Worst: 92 Miami: I left with tears in my eyes
2nd Worst: 98 Tennessee

I still have not been able to watch re-runs of those games.

Notable Downs:
11/1/80 SU 6 Pittsburgh 43 Maybe the best team we ever played. Marino on one side and Hugh Green on the other. We were no match for them.
9/18/82 SU 10 Illinois 47 Jim Ridlon: “This is goona be a great game Illinois took that opening kickoff and marched right down the field and scored and now SU has the ball and you can see they are really trying very hard!”
9/22/84 SU 0 Rutgers 19 the storm before the clam: the week before the Nebraska game, we kept fumbling the ball over the Scarlet Knights and they gleefully took advantage of it. We now had Nebraska right where we wanted them.
9/6/86 SU 17 Mississippi State 24 and 9/20/86 SU 17 Virginia Tech 26 Two stillborn ‘revenge’ games from the year before.
10/7/89 SU 10 Florida State 41 The end of a 17 game Dome winning streak. I remember a Seminole watching a punt hit the ground, SU players surrounding it, waiting to down it and then the Nole scoops it up and runs for a touchdown.
10/14/89 SU 12 Penn State 34 Those two wins over the Lions in 1987-88 sure were fun but we haven’t beaten them since.
11/23/89 SU 17 West Virginia 24 The Mountaineers gain revenge for ’87. Afterwards, in a sleet storm, the person with the flashlight at the bus line gets mixed up and directs Manley people to the left and Skytop people to the right, then reverses. I get stuck in the culvert in front of Slocum with mobs of confused people going in different directions. This is days after all those people got crushed to death in the English soccer stadium and it was a scary situation. I stepped out onto the road just as a bus was pulling in and just got out of the way in time.
10/12/91 SU 20 East Carolina 23 We’d been undefeated going down to Florida State where we went down hard, 14-46. We had a 20-10 halftime lead on the Pirates, (admittedly their best team ever at 11-1). A scoreless second half costs us the game.
9/19/92 SU 12 Ohio State 35. We’d just beaten these guys eight months before in the Hall Of Fame Bowl. Kirk Herbstreit has a big game. It was one of those games where we kept stubbornly running the near-side option into the waiting arms of the defenders. You can’t block the sideline.
11/21/92 SU 10 #1 Miami 16 Chris Gedney gets tackled at the 3 yard line.
10/30/93 SU 0 West Virginia 43 The ‘Neers’ run for 457 yards, the most ever against SU. This came a week after a 0-49 loss at Miami. Lee Corse demanded on the air that the network never put SU on again.
9/3/94 SU 29 Oklahoma 30 We almost land another big fish only to lose because Kdevin Johnson, who was redshirting, gets call for a celebration penalty because he hopped up and down when we scored what appeared to be the winning TD and accidentally hopped onto the field. We kicked off from our 20 and they got a chance to kick the winning field goal.
9/9/95 SU 24 East Carolina 27 A week after Donovan McNabb’s successful debut in a road upset of North Carolina, we have an instant replay of the 1991 game.
9/7/96 SU 10 North Carolina 27 The Tar Heel’s revenge to open the season.
11/30/96 SU 31 U of Miami 38 The worst call in the history of everything: Our kick returner gets leveled trying to catch a punt and the refs claim the ‘Cane who did it was “blocked into” our guy. Film shows the block was in the other direction. We wind up in a three way tie for first in the Big East. The Canes and the Hokies, (who we had crushed, 52-21), get major bowl gams and we’re in the Liberty Bowl.
8/30/97 SU 31 NC State 32 A week after blowing out Wisconsin 34-0 on national TV in the kickoff classic and dreaming of a national title, freshman Dee Brown, instead of letting us win it with a chip-shot field goal, decides to play ‘hero ball’ and stick the ball across the goal line. It gets knocked away and we lose in OT.
9/5/98 SU 33 Tennessee 34 A ‘uniform violation’ and a very late interference call from 40 yards away give the Vols a chance to kick the winning field goal – and then go on to win the national championship.
9/18/99 SU 13 Michigan 18 Jubilation T. Nunes’ 35 yard retreat into the end zone. At the end we have to try for a touchdown rather than a field goal because of the safety.
10/21/00 SU 14 Virginia Tech 22 Michael Vick still sees Dwight Freeney in his dreams but Dwight injured his spleen and had to miss the second half as a 14-0 lead evaporates.
10/5/02 SU 24 Pittsburgh 48 This ends the 16-1-1 streak and starts a 3-17 streak. The Panthers led 3-48 at one point.
10/9/04 SU 13 Florida State 17 If the great Walter Reyes hadn’t fumbled going across the goal line at the end of the first half…
9/9/06 SU 13 Iowa 20 The infamous seven plays from the 1 game.
10/13 08 SU 14 Rutgers 38 I believe this was the infamous “walk away laughing form the handshake” game.
9/6/08 SU 28 Akron 42 The game that sealed G-Rob’s fate. He saw ‘flashes’.
9/13/08 SU 13 Penn State 55 The week “The Express“ opened at the landmark.
9/1/12 SU 41 Northwestern 42 Jerome Smith thought the pass he’d dropped was a forward pass and didn’t bother falling on it, just in case it wasn’t. It wasn’t.
10/5/13 SU 14 Clemson 49. It’s not 1995 anymore.
9/9/16 SU 28 Lamar Jackson 62. Lamar jumps over a guy on the way to the end zone. Eric Dungey tries the same thing and can’t quite make it.
9/9/17 SU 23 Middle Tennessee State 30 “We’ve played in Domes before…” Scott Sahfer with that big cigar in his mouth.
11/11/17 Halftime: SU 35 Wake Forest 24. The crowd give the home team a standing ovation. Final score: SU 43 Wake Forest 64.
11/25/17 SU 14 Boston College 42 Ground and Pound. How did we ever beat Clemson?
9/14/19 SU 6 Clemson 41 Game Day was goona be here. They didn’t miss much.
10/10/20 SU 24 Duke 38 A team we’d beaten the year before 49-7, out-rushes us 28-363.
10/17/20 SU 21 Liberty 38 We’d beaten them 24-0 the previous year. And it was Liberty!
9/11/21 SU 7 Rutgers 17 Aloha, Tommy DeVito.
10/9-15/21 SU 37 Wake Forest 40 and SU 14 Clemson 17. The second and third of three straight defeats by a field goal in a 5-7 season.

Notable Downs:
11/1/80 SU 6 Pittsburgh 43 Maybe the best team we ever played. Marino on one side and Hugh Green on the other. We were no match for them.
9/18/82 SU 10 Illinois 47 Jim Ridlon: “This is goona be a great game Illinois took that opening kickoff and marched right down the field and scored and now SU has the ball and you can see they are really trying very hard!”
9/22/84 SU 0 Rutgers 19 the storm before the clam: the week before the Nebraska game, we kept fumbling the ball over the Scarlet Knights and they gleefully took advantage of it. We now had Nebraska right where we wanted them.
9/6/86 SU 17 Mississippi State 24 and 9/20/86 SU 17 Virginia Tech 26 Two stillborn ‘revenge’ games from the year before.
10/7/89 SU 10 Florida State 41 The end of a 17 game Dome winning streak. I remember a Seminole watching a punt hit the ground, SU players surrounding it, waiting to down it and then the Nole scoops it up and runs for a touchdown.
10/14/89 SU 12 Penn State 34 Those two wins over the Lions in 1987-88 sure were fun but we haven’t beaten them since.
11/23/89 SU 17 West Virginia 24 The Mountaineers gain revenge for ’87. Afterwards, in a sleet storm, the person with the flashlight at the bus line gets mixed up and directs Manley people to the left and Skytop people to the right, then reverses. I get stuck in the culvert in front of Slocum with mobs of confused people going in different directions. This is days after all those people got crushed to death in the English soccer stadium and it was a scary situation. I stepped out onto the road just as a bus was pulling in and just got out of the way in time.
10/12/91 SU 20 East Carolina 23 We’d been undefeated going down to Florida State where we went down hard, 14-46. We had a 20-10 halftime lead on the Pirates, (admittedly their best team ever at 11-1). A scoreless second half costs us the game.
9/19/92 SU 12 Ohio State 35. We’d just beaten these guys eight months before in the Hall Of Fame Bowl. Kirk Herbstreit has a big game. It was one of those games where we kept stubbornly running the near-side option into the waiting arms of the defenders. You can’t block the sideline.
11/21/92 SU 10 #1 Miami 16 Chris Gedney gets tackled at the 3 yard line.
10/30/93 SU 0 West Virginia 43 The ‘Neers’ run for 457 yards, the most ever against SU. This came a week after a 0-49 loss at Miami. Lee Corse demanded on the air that the network never put SU on again.
9/3/94 SU 29 Oklahoma 30 We almost land another big fish only to lose because Kdevin Johnson, who was redshirting, gets call for a celebration penalty because he hopped up and down when we scored what appeared to be the winning TD and accidentally hopped onto the field. We kicked off from our 20 and they got a chance to kick the winning field goal.
9/9/95 SU 24 East Carolina 27 A week after Donovan McNabb’s successful debut in a road upset of North Carolina, we have an instant replay of the 1991 game.
9/7/96 SU 10 North Carolina 27 The Tar Heel’s revenge to open the season.
11/30/96 SU 31 U of Miami 38 The worst call in the history of everything: Our kick returner gets leveled trying to catch a punt and the refs claim the ‘Cane who did it was “blocked into” our guy. Film shows the block was in the other direction. We wind up in a three way tie for first in the Big East. The Canes and the Hokies, (who we had crushed, 52-21), get major bowl gams and we’re in the Liberty Bowl.
8/30/97 SU 31 NC State 32 A week after blowing out Wisconsin 34-0 on national TV in the kickoff classic and dreaming of a national title, freshman Dee Brown, instead of letting us win it with a chip-shot field goal, decides to play ‘hero ball’ and stick the ball across the goal line. It gets knocked away and we lose in OT.
9/5/98 SU 33 Tennessee 34 A ‘uniform violation’ and a very late interference call from 40 yards away give the Vols a chance to kick the winning field goal – and then go on to win the national championship.
9/18/99 SU 13 Michigan 18 Jubilation T. Nunes’ 35 yard retreat into the end zone. At the end we have to try for a touchdown rather than a field goal because of the safety.
10/21/00 SU 14 Virginia Tech 22 Michael Vick still sees Dwight Freeney in his dreams but Dwight injured his spleen and had to miss the second half as a 14-0 lead evaporates.
10/5/02 SU 24 Pittsburgh 48 This ends the 16-1-1 streak and starts a 3-17 streak. The Panthers led 3-48 at one point.
10/9/04 SU 13 Florida State 17 If the great Walter Reyes hadn’t fumbled going across the goal line at the end of the first half…
9/9/06 SU 13 Iowa 20 The infamous seven plays from the 1 game.
10/13 08 SU 14 Rutgers 38 I believe this was the infamous “walk away laughing form the handshake” game.
9/6/08 SU 28 Akron 42 The game that sealed G-Rob’s fate. He saw ‘flashes’.
9/13/08 SU 13 Penn State 55 The week “The Express“ opened at the landmark.
9/1/12 SU 41 Northwestern 42 Jerome Smith thought the pass he’d dropped was a forward pass and didn’t bother falling on it, just in case it wasn’t. It wasn’t.
10/5/13 SU 14 Clemson 49. It’s not 1995 anymore.
9/9/16 SU 28 Lamar Jackson 62. Lamar jumps over a guy on the way to the end zone. Eric Dungey tries the same thing and can’t quite make it.
9/9/17 SU 23 Middle Tennessee State 30 “We’ve played in Domes before…” Scott Sahfer with that big cigar in his mouth.
11/11/17 Halftime: SU 35 Wake Forest 24. The crowd give the home team a standing ovation. Final score: SU 43 Wake Forest 64.
11/25/17 SU 14 Boston College 42 Ground and Pound. How did we ever beat Clemson?
9/14/19 SU 6 Clemson 41 Game Day was goona be here. They didn’t miss much.
10/10/20 SU 24 Duke 38 A team we’d beaten the year before 49-7, out-rushes us 28-363.
10/17/20 SU 21 Liberty 38 We’d beaten them 24-0 the previous year. And it was Liberty!
9/11/21 SU 7 Rutgers 17 Aloha, Tommy DeVito.
10/9-15/21 SU 37 Wake Forest 40 and SU 14 Clemson 17. The second and third of three straight defeats by a field goal in a 5-7 season.
think you'll get a kick out of this story. Old old time Cuse fan in today talking about the big upcoming game and how he wished he was young enough to go. So I break out my '59 SU National Championship team, including Ernie, signed football and relays his friend was Garhard Schwedes, who told him some stories from the cotton bowl most of which we've heard but one we haven't (at least I haven't).

The reason the long TD pass looks so awkward with Schwedes facing and running to the left and then throwing against his body the opposite way, with Ernie facing and running to the right was because Ernie had run the wrong route! And that he just turned and threw the ball simply as far as possible hoping for the best, the best that happened.
Very cool story.

Last edited:
Best: Beating the Florida Gators in '91 and who doesn't recall Kirby Dar Dar's opening kickoff return.

Worst: 1993 WVU 43 - 0 loss one week after losing to Miami 49 - 0. Was so PO'd in the stands that I consumed a dozen extra brews before I left.

Personal Experience on the Field including Archbold:

Best: Beating WVU in the Dome in the '81 finale w/Joe Morris running wild and Gary Anderson kicking the winner over a Peach Bowl bound Mountaineers.

Worst: Losing in '77 to NC State 38 - 0 in Archbold and having some CUSE fans spit at us as we walked thru the crumpling locker room tunnel. Then we had to listen to the dogs barking in the kennel above our locker room and Nick Saban's blasting the DE's all week. Funny, we beat the Washington Huskies and Warren Moon before 12k in rainy Archbold the following week.

Oh the Orange memories and the Wolfpack are going down on Saturday!
Cheers!

think you'll get a kick out of this story. Old old time Cuse fan in today talking about the big upcoming game and how he wished he was young enough to go. So I break out my '59 SU National Championship team, including Ernie, signed football and relays his friend was Garhard Schwedes, who told him some stories from the cotton bowl most of which we've heard but one we haven't (at least I haven't).

The reason the long TD pass looks so awkward with Schwedes facing and running to the left and then throwing against his body the opposite way, with Ernie facing and running to the right was because Ernie had run the wrong route! And that he just turned and threw the ball simply as far as possible hoping for the best, the best that happened.
Very cool story.

I still think Easterly fumbled after he crossed the goal line but as the narrator says, it wouldn't have counted anyway because of a holding call.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom