Your favorite "happy ending" movie thread | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your favorite "happy ending" movie thread

Blues Brothers.

Yeah, they did save the orphanage and complete their Mission from God. But going back to Illinois State Prison doesn't really seem like a happy ending.

Love Actually.
Rear Window.
The Philadelphia Story.

For Love of the Game

I don't know why, but that movie just sticks with me. :noidea:

Gotta go with its a wonderful life. When all the people come up at the end and donate their money to help George it gets me every time. Yes it's schmalzy but they really don't make movies like that anymore.

Yeah, they did save the orphanage and complete their Mission from God. But going back to Illinois State Prison doesn't really seem like a happy ending.

They seemed pretty happy in there and plus it beats having to eat the meatloaf at the Cook County slammer.

There Will Be Blood ... cause there was blood.

Man, a lot of people's definitions of happy are messed up. I would not be happy about being killed by bandidtos and then seeing from beyond that they were too stupid enough to take the $70,000 (in 1930 something) in Gold dust I had.

Jail, death. These are not happy things.

Oh crap. Somehow I mixed up TWBB with Treasure of the Sierra Madre.

So, yea. there was blood.

My point remains valid however.

Unless they are fairy tales (e.g., ET), great movies don't normally have happy endings (e.g., Casablanca, Citizen Kane, Schindler's List, Glory, etc). Having said that, I guess I would go with Forrest Gump, To Kill a Mockingbird (sort of happy at the end after a pretty bad middle) and, yes, Hoosiers.

Kudos to Joyce for mentioning Glory. And for all these years I thought I was the only one who loves that movie.

My "Happy Ending" votes go to the following:

Die Hard
Sixteen Candles
Ferris Bueller's Day Off
The Brown Bunny
Hiding Out
Just One of the Guys
Weird Science

A bizarre list, yes, but in one way or another all fit the criteria. All but one have happy endings, while one contains a happy ending within. Can you guess which one? ;)

i'll cite one example of where i think the "happy ending" actually ruins the film. FATAL ATTRACTION.
for anyone unfamiliar with the story this film shot in 1987 by adrian lyne is the scariest movie ever !
imo jason and freddie are pussies. they mainly kill nonvirgin teens. however alex forrest (glenn close) is an absolute nightmare to any happily married man. the original cut had alex killing herself (ala the whole madame butterfly thing) and mr brief onenight skankster dan gallagher (michael douglas) arrested for killing her. however this ending had to be reshot after the release becuz the audiences didn't react well to dan losing his happy family and going off to jail. so instead we get that crazy bathtub psycho scene . glenn close and anne archer (mrs gallagher) both vehemently protested the reshoot yet the original ending sadly now only appears on dvds extras. for me it was the far more satisfying (and logical) conclusion.

"Cinema Paradisio" has the greatest ending of any movie ever. Rent it and wtch it before you disagree with me.

t
take out Hoosiers and that is a very strange list.

An 80's kid would say you're out of your mind. Let me guess, you're not between 35-44?

i'll cite one example of where i think the "happy ending" actually ruins the film. FATAL ATTRACTION.
for anyone unfamiliar with the story this film shot in 1987 by adrian lyne is the scariest movie ever !
imo jason and freddie are pussies. they mainly kill nonvirgin teens. however alex forrest (glenn close) is an absolute nightmare to any happily married man. the original cut had alex killing herself (ala the whole madame butterfly thing) and mr brief onenight skankster dan gallagher (michael douglas) arrested for killing her. however this ending had to be reshot after the release becuz the audiences didn't react well to dan losing his happy family and going off to jail. so instead we get that crazy bathtub psycho scene . glenn close and anne archer (mrs douglas) both vehemently protested the reshoot yet the original ending sadly now only appears on dvds extras. for me it was the far more satisfying (and logical) conclusion.

A bunch of jerks in the back of the preview theater shouted "Kill the Bitch...Kill the Bitch..." and the studio exects decided they wanted to appeal to that crowd. That's when they ordered the reshoot.

An 80's kid would say you're out of your mind. Let me guess, you're not between 35-44?
I have seen all of those movies many times. Yeah all happy ending movies just not something that would stick out to me. Something like It's a wonderful life or Rudy something to that effect would be happy ending movies.

even though i hate ND cusetown is dead on with rudy? i would like to add to that bad news bears the original

I have seen all of those movies many times. Yeah all happy ending movies just not something that would stick out to me. Something like It's a wonderful life or Rudy something to that effect would be happy ending movies.

hahaha. good point. Rudy absolutely makes the list.

I'm 27 but that list of movies makes good sense to me. Goonies is an all time favorite. What about finding a treasure, befriending a missing link and saving your childhood homes isn't happy?