Your Official SU-Iona Game Thread | Syracusefan.com

Your Official SU-Iona Game Thread

LGO!

So glad you started this early tee.;)
I swear, this never happens!
eeoObCB.gif

Half time report. We are out rebounding them but the score is close. We need to extend the zone. Most of our points are put backs and drives.
Final report. After their lone big man picks up his fourth foul we run up the score and win by between 10 and 20 pts. Thorpe has a good game leading the team in assists. MM gets big minutes and rebounds well but misses all his mid-range shots. The press becomes a regular part of our game plan.

Now that the game is over I look forward to the Upside and the Downside and My Take.

Last edited:
Size difference is immense. Our average starter will have about a 5 inch advantage over his counterpart! Too often in these situations I think we fail to take advantage on the offensive end and many times we "play down" with a smaller lineup to counter the opponent's quickness. I'd like to see us work the ball inside, clear and post up our guards and shoot around 60% from the field tonight. Do that and play the zone as well as we did against Cornell and we win by 20.

Oh believe me, it's on!

You are almost as excited for this rivalry as a Rutgers fans is for every one of their rivals, you know, like tOSU, PedState, UM, MState, etc. The good point is that we are in the correct column of the W/L record.

This team is 'Cuse's tallest in 10 seasons

Will size matter? Syracuse basketball team is tallest in last 10 seasons

Here's the combined height of every SU starting lineup in the last decade:

2017-18: 401

2016-17: 395

2015-16: 394

2014-15: 391

2013-14: 391

2012-13: 395

2011-12: 395

2010-11: 395

2009-10: 393

2008-09: 385
Kenpom has some weird stats under his "personnel" heading.
  • The average height of a rotation player in D1 basketball this year is 76.8 inches
  • The average height of SU rotation players is 79.6 inches, which is #1 in the nation
  • The average height of Iona's rotation players is 76.4 inches, which is 222nd
  • The average experience of D1 players nationally is 1.69 years (which is surprisingly low to me)
  • The average experience of Syracuse players is 1.03, which is 309th out of 351 teams
  • The average experience of Iona's players is 2.39, which is 10th nationally

Would like to see JB experiment with this lineup tonight:

Chukwu
Sidibe
Brisset
Battle
Howard

I was (relatively) impressed by Chukwu Friday night. I like the potential of this lineup although I don't think we saw it at all against Cornell. I would assume this would be our best shot blocking lineup and potentially our best offensive. Would love to see Chukwu to Sidibe high-low action. Obviously the defender could just sag off Chukwu but sometimes defenders don't do the obvious thing.

Perhaps Sidibe can't play the wing defensively but just a thought.

Tonight we need to play both offense AAAANNND defense. On offense, we need to score baskets. On defense, we have to stop the other team from scoring on every trip. If we can score more baskets than the other team we will win. Oh, and we have get rebounds. Rebounds are important. Also, we can't foul the jump shooters. A really good jump shooter will shoot 50% from the field but 80% from the FT line. So we can't foul good jump shooters. Also, turnovers. We can't turn the ball over. But we need to get steals on defense. And our players need to make the extra pass to a player with an open look. Making an assist is just as good has making a basket. We need open looks on offense and no easy baskets on defense. Playing defense is key to winning the game. And as a stretch goal we need to get fast break offense off of steals from our zone defense. Not that it matters that much how we score but a fast break dunk is really fun to watch.

So in summary, we need to score more than they do. If we score more than the other team we will win. Thank you for listening.

Last edited:
Tonight we need to play both offense AAAANNND defense. On offense, we need to score baskets. On defense, we have to stop the other team from scoring on every trip. If we can score more baskets than the other team we will win. Oh, and we have get rebounds. Rebounds are important. Also, we can't foul the jump shooters. A really good jump shooter will shoot 50% from the field but 80% from the FT line. So we can't foul good jump shooters. Also, turnovers. We can't turn the ball over. But we need to get steals on defense. And our players need to make the extra pass to a player with an open look. Making an assist is just as good has making a basket. We need open looks on offense and no easy baskets on defense. Playing defense is key to winning the game. And as a stretch goal we need to get fast break offense off of steals from our zone defense. Not that it matters that much how we score but a fast break dunk is really fun to watch.

So in summary, we need to score more than they do. If we score more than the other team we will win. Thank you for listening.

God I'm brilliant! And humble too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom