Your worst regular season loss | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Your worst regular season loss

There was a nova game where we missed a blockout on a FT and they got it back and hit a 3 to force ot. I could look it up, but I'd rather guess and say it was 2011?

It was 2013, I got some of the details wrong. Not a missed FT where they got an offensive rebound, just a missed 3 pointer. We had a 61-55 lead with 3:37 left. Didn't score for the rest of regulation

It was 2013, I got some of the details wrong. Not a missed FT where they got an offensive rebound, just a missed 3 pointer. We had a 61-55 lead with 3:37 left. Didn't score for the rest of regulation

We just won at number one Lville, won a tough game vs a ranked Cinci team so yes of course we drop one to a mediocre Nova team.

Season finale at Georgetown. A listless, uninspired team got blown out on national television.

Both the games I mentioned were road games I traveled to, which I think we all agree makes losing that much worse

St. John's two seasons ago. First time I'd ever turned off a game. Pathetic performance.

I kept it on but couldn't watch most of the 2nd half. I can handle losing but when we stopped trying, that made me quite POed.

How about Seton Hall in 2011, anybody? The 1999 Providence game that SWC mentioned last week (spotted them a 16-0 lead) was also a lot of fun. And I still can hear Dick Vitale yelling about the Baron of Westwood that season somewhere back in the recesses of my brain.

Also, Kentucky in Alaska, November 1996. That was a quick return to reality after the previous spring.
I was taking a night class at the time and dvred the game. Don't know why I checked the score online but I had to refresh the webpage 5 times because I thought for sure it was a mistake. Needless to say I never watched the game.

This game will fly under the radar because it didn't mean much in the big picture of things but that loss at DePaul in 2006 was just hideous. That literally hit every three pointer in the first half. Most frustrated I've ever been watching a game.
i think the st johns game was the best thing that happened to mike hopkins and su in the long run

Pitt 2010 I was particularly enraged because I thought we were FINALLY going to beat those :&$s.

We lost by ten.

Yup. That’s up there along with the UConn debacle at MSG a few years ago.

There was a game at Louisville in like 2007 or 2008 where we lost a 10 pt lead in the last 4-5 minutes. I remember Devo was forced to run point and we got overwhelmed by their press after controlling the game for 35 minutes. Maybe it was because we never beat Pitino, but it was crushing. Went out to dinner afterwards and was just snapping at people.

When Herve Laminzana banked in the game-winning 3 to beat us at Rutty in '03. I just recall being pissed that the entire game was shot from the most awkward camera angle & then that lucky ending. Terrence Roberts basically returning the favor with his banked in 3 in the Dome a couple years later helped rinse some of the taste out of my mouth....along with our title later that year, of course :)

When Herve Laminzana banked in the game-winning 3 to beat us at Rutty in '03. I just recall being pissed that the entire game was shot from the most awkward camera angle & then that lucky ending. Terrence Roberts basically returning the favor with his banked in 3 in the Dome a couple years later helped rinse some of the taste out of my mouth...along with our title later that year, of course :)

The ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia lists Syracuse as one of the top ten worst national champions because they lost to Rutgers. Thank you, Herve!

The ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia lists Syracuse as one of the top ten worst national champions because they lost to Rutgers. Thank you, Herve!

And a couple days later we beat #2 Pitt, so for us that one was quickly forgotten. ESPN should look at the big picture rather than one mid season slip up on the road, on a lucky shot.

And a couple days later we beat #2 Pitt, so for us that one was quickly forgotten. ESPN should look at the big picture rather than one mid season slip up on the road, on a lucky shot.

They didn't put a lot of thought into it. They might have looked at the three #1 seeds in a row we beat to close it out! But they go with the Laminzana shot...

They didn't put a lot of thought into it. They might have looked at the three #1 seeds in a row we beat to close it out! But they go with the Laminzana shot...

It was two one seeds, and I’d agree it was one of the weaker champs of the last 25 years.
Not that it makes a difference.

It was two one seeds, and I’d agree it was one of the weaker champs of the last 25 years.

You're right. Kansas was a #2 seed. Arizona had been the #1 in that region.
2003 NCAA Basketball Tournament

But I recall the Big 12 was hyped as the best conference in the country all season long and we beat four of their teams on the way to the final.

I told Jim Boeheim on his show "let's get the whole list someday!" and he laughed.

I don’t know about that. 30-5, 13-3 and won the league.

I think maybe it’s a team that can be underrated because only 2 guys made the NBA? (Even though one will be a hall of famer and the other had a solid 10 year career) But I think in looking beyond that...McNamara and Edelin were just as good in college as guys who made the NBA, they just didn’t have the measureables. McNamara: too small. Edelin: too slow(and obviously the personal issues held him back. But in college could they play just as well as a Marcus Williams, a Shabazz Napier, a Steve Blake, etc? I’d say yes.

Are we talking in person or just watching on TV as a fan?

In person: Seton Hall 2011
On TV: St. Johns 2016

The Villanova game where McCullough fouled out on a play where he got undercut and then carried on a guy’s back and dropped to the ground, and we lost in the final seconds is up there too.
I went to that game. It was 12/20/2014. We had them beat going into the final minute. Then the Syracuse bodies started flying. Cooney got leveled on an in bound play. No call and a turnover. Darren Hilliard took a swing at Silent G as Brian O'Connell watched. No whistle. Hilliard goes the Nova bench and Jay Wright gives him a pat on the back. Nice guy that Jay. Great suits. Anyway, they managed to wrestle their way to OT and win. All of the credit to O'Connell, who called the game as though he had money on Nova. Best game in Orange for Kaleb Joseph.

371123.jpg

Darius Lane singlehandedly beat us one year, think it was ‘99-00 in the Dome.

Remember the Charlotte game - that one annoyed me. The NC State game in 2001-02 annoyed me too, Julius Hodge. Vomit.

Most consequential in-season melt-down were the games we lost when Hopkins was coaching. If he would have won those games he would probably now be our coach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom