Your worst regular season loss | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Your worst regular season loss

Darius Lane singlehandedly beat us one year, think it was ‘99-00 in the Dome.

Yep that was our first loss of the year after starting 19-0. He used to hit some deep Dan Majerle-esque threes on us with regularity. That game was actually rescheduled due to a dorm fire at Seton Hall that tragically killed a bunch of kids.

Yep that was our first loss of the year after starting 19-0. He used to hit some deep Dan Majerle-esque threes on us with regularity. That game was actually rescheduled due to a dorm fire at Seton Hall that tragically killed a bunch of kids.
I remember the Jeremy Hazell game in the Dome in January of 2011.

I was sitting in one of cto's seats. I thought it would be a good idea to get in Jeremy's head, as his favorite position on the court was standing right in front of me.

I talked soft trash to him. "Shoot it. No one is covering you. They know you can't play. Go ahead, throw it up there".

He did. And he kept making them. And then he would stare right at me as he ran backwards back to play defense.

That was the last day I tried to talk trash to a player while sitting court side. I think that loss, a blowout to a bad 9-12 team Pirate team, was as much on me as it was on Scoop and Dion. They unfortunately had as little respect for Jeremy as I did, and their defense showed it. I apologize to everyone involved.

Seton Hall vs. Syracuse - Game Summary - January 25, 2011 - ESPN

I was sitting in one of cto's seats. I thought it would be a good idea to get in Jeremy's head, as his favorite position on the court was standing right in front of me.

I talked soft trash to him. "Shoot it. No one is covering you. They know you can't play. Go ahead, throw it up there".

He did. And he kept making them. And then he would stare right at me as he ran backwards back to play defense.

That was the last day I tried to talk trash to a player while sitting court side. I think that loss, a blowout to a bad 9-12 team Pirate team, was as much on me as it was on Scoop and Dion. They unfortunately had as little respect for Jeremy as I did, and their defense showed it. I apologize to everyone involved.

You guys are like Spike Lee and Reggie Miller. There should be a 30 for 30 about this.

LOL we never even had a lead. The closest we ever got with the score was 2-3 when Rick score our first points.

There is the Notre Dame game from 90 or 91 they won on a buzzer beating three - a beautiful play btw, which makes one wonder why SU can't do the same with less than five seconds on the gameclock at half or game end - where we got to enjoy Digger shimmying down the sidelines.

Kev

There is the Notre Dame game from 90 or 91 they won on a buzzer beating three - a beautiful play btw, which makes one wonder why SU can't do the same with less than five seconds on the gameclock at half or game end - where we got to enjoy Digger shimmying down the sidelines.

Kev

Elmer Bennett? That's on my top-10 list as well. It was a kick in the nuts at the time.

Elmer Bennett? That's on my top-10 list as well. It was a kick in the nuts at the time.

I agree with the description and add a punch in the gut. Just a horrible empty feeling walking away from that loss.

Kev

In 1998 we played at Notre Dame and jumped out to an 11-0 lead. Them some kid went crazy and goes 8-10 from beyond the arc.

We lost by 20.

In 1998 we played at Notre Dame and jumped out to an 11-0 lead. Them some kid went crazy and goes 8-10 from beyond the arc.

We lost by 20.

Kevin Freel? Or am I making names up again?

Notre Dame's been a sneaky contributor to some disappointing hoops games over the years. If it weren't for Ryan Blackwell owning Troy Murphy and Billy Edelin owning Chris Thomas, I think it could have been even worse.

Notre Dame's been a sneaky contributor to some disappointing hoops games over the years. If it weren't for Ryan Blackwell owning Troy Murphy and Billy Edelin owning Chris Thomas, I think it could have been even worse.

Yes. He transferred to Uva that year. At least he was a 41 percent shooter from 3. Somehow that makes it better.

Historically it would have to be the Manley game but I wasn't born until 1979. I will say every loss to Georgetown, Yukon and Pitt are a tie.

I went to that game. It was 12/20/2014. We had them beat going into the final minute. Then the Syracuse bodies started flying. Cooney got leveled on an in bound play. No call and a turnover. Darren Hilliard took a swing at Silent G as Brian O'Connell watched. No whistle. Hilliard goes the Nova bench and Jay Wright gives him a pat on the back. Nice guy that Jay. Great suits. Anyway, they managed to wrestle their way to OT and win. All of the credit to O'Connell, who called the game as though he had money on Nova. Best game in Orange for Kaleb Joseph.

View attachment 133938

Yeah that was a tough one. Definitely Joseph’s best game but he also committed one terrible turnover under a minute and another one a few minutes before. He also tried to do too much and took a couple of really bad 3s with a few minutes left I think when we were playing stall ball too much. I remember the Cooney play for sure which should have been called but, in general, they were tougher and wanted it more. It just happened so fast, ugh.

in general, they were tougher and wanted it more.
Nonsense. I worked on a commercial with Jay Wright a few days later and someone on the crew congratulated him on the win. His response was that they stole a game that they didn't deserve to win. I'm far from a Jay Wright fan, but at least he was honest. Reffing matters, and O'Connell is among the worst.

Wright also talked about how much he hates hearing the Let's Go Orange chants and seeing all the orange in their house, so good for us.

Kev

Conrad McRae vs. Villanova, 1993.

Nonsense. I worked on a commercial with Jay Wright a few days later and someone on the crew congratulated him on the win. His response was that they stole a game that they didn't deserve to win. I'm far from a Jay Wright fan, but at least he was honest. Reffing matters, and O'Connell is among the worst.

Wright also talked about how much he hates hearing the Let's Go Orange chants and seeing all the orange in their house, so good for us.

Of course they “stole” the game, lol. The collapse happened so fast. But it wasn’t all on O’Connell, obviously.

Conrad McRae vs. Villanova, 1993.
Also a great play, but what I'm more referring to is the number of times SU attempts to run a real play at the end, as opposed to simply inbounding it to someone 80 feet from the hoop and hoping he can dribble up. Most of the time, it's a lousy shot attempt, but on rare occasions, it works (Pearl, Ennis). But I'd take a real play vs a 1-on-1 race upcourt.

Kev

Boston College 2002 at the dome. Win that game, and we get a bye in the BET. Instead, Deshaun Williams decides to go 1 on 3, and we lose. Go on to lose to Nova in the Wednesday game of the BET. NIT bound

Another bad loss to BC was 2014, undefeated at the dome and we lost. That loss was the turning point of the worse end in Syracuse Basketball history. We end up losing MSG in the Regionals, and we bow out to Dayton in Buffalo

Surprised nobody mentioned the debacle at Georgetown in 2013 when MCW and Triche looked like they never touched a basketball in their life.

Uggghh - Keith Freel. I forgot about that. This is a depressing thread to read through, yet here I am 3 pages in.

Most embarassing loss for me was that Depaul game where they couldn't miss.
Worst regular season loss was the 2013 game at G'Town. That one was especially bad because I was there and had to listen to those idiots chant "Hoya Saxa." I still don't understand that.

As mentioned earlier, the final game at Manley against Georgetown, by a mile. Worse feeling I've ever felt after a basketball game (kind of the same feeling I get when we lose to Va Tech in football).

My wife (then girlfriend) and I were leaving after the game and came up to the Georgetown cheerleaders in a line while their team was coming off the court to the locker room. I was so mad (and drunk), that I yelled out "You #$@#$ SUCK!!!", then one of the cheerleaders turned around, with hands on hips and says "Well who won the game?!". Now I was really mad and we stormed out of the place. That started my HATE for Georgetown.

The ESPN College Basketball Encyclopedia lists Syracuse as one of the top ten worst national champions because they lost to Rutgers. Thank you, Herve!
If JB went trunk monkey for even a few minutes lamizana never matters. That game and Vermont 2005 were textbook examples of what happens when you let the opponent dictate the flow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom