Zach Allen named to Elite 11 camp | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Allen named to Elite 11 camp

I w
Thanks to Orangepassion for this link in the Zach Allen thread.

http://search.espn.go.com/zach-allen/video/6

Trent Dilfer picked Allen to compete at the prestigious Elite 11 camp – he’s one of 25 finalists nationally. This is a huge honor and the benchmark for QB prospects. For the ‘star gazers’ these QB’s are usually the cream (the 4 and 5 star guys)

This link is of some of the process for naming the team and Zach’s qualities are discussed (with video) for potentially naming him to the team

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8083031&categoryid=8016764

Some comments about Zach Allen that popped out:

“Young Colt McCoy”
“Better arm at this stage then Colt McCoy”
“Tony Romo’s favorite QB at Dallas regional”
“All the traits that the position requires”
“does everything fast and with a purpose”
“He plays sudden”
“2nd and 3rd reaction playmaking ability”
“Dynamic athlete”
“Everything he does has urgency”
“Quick and fast mind, body, arm”
“Passer that can beat you with his legs”
“Syracuse is very lucky to have Zach Allen coming to their school”
ill get excited when I'm sure he is coming here.

I'm hoping Mr. Allen's verbal is rock solid. All of this coverage he is receiving could cause the Big Boys to try and flip him.

Why do these kids go to these camps after they have given their verbal anyways? Are they still looking for better offers?

Look in the other thread - a few posters have commented his is a solid verbal. They convinced me not to question it.

As for him going to the camp, I suspect it's for a myriad of reasons, including getting instruction from pro quarterbacks, checking out competition, and making connections.

Another thing to consider about the camps, especially those as large regionally and prestigious as the Elite 11. The QB's at those camps need someone to throw to at the camp and oftentimes those are some of the better WR and TE prospects in the respective regions. So it's also a great way to have your recruits recruit for you when they attend these camps.

Well, he's still recruiting others to come here, so I'd say that he's solid.

I'm hoping Mr. Allen's verbal is rock solid. All of this coverage he is receiving could cause the Big Boys to try and flip him.

Why do these kids go to these camps after they have given their verbal anyways? Are they still looking for better offers?

"The Syracuse commit was a relative unknown until his excellent performance at the Dallas Elite 11 regional."

Jeeze, you guys are unreal in your relentless criticism of any site that doesn't give Syracuse the absolute benefit of the doubt. Give them time to update.
I think some people are pointing out that the criticism Marrone takes for not getting 4 and 5 star kids is unfounded because the recruiting services aren't the be-all-end-all. He's establishing himself as someone that has is own evaluations of players, and they don't always match up with recruiting services that supposedly do nothing but evaluate talent (or he's sometimes ahead of them). A story like this strengthens his legitimacy. At least that's how I take it.

I believe that once a recruit verbals to a school, it is against NCAA rules for another school to approach the recruit or anotherwords initiate contact for the purpose of recruiting. However, the recruit may approach other schools and subsequently either pull his verbal committment, or offer another one to another school if he chooses. So, if I have it right, Zach would have to initiate contact to talk recruiting to another school, be it Big 12 or not. Now, do they follow this, or do I have it right, I am not sure. But as we saw with Brantley last year, a verbal means didly, either way. Making sure you have a strong relationship with the recruit is what makes or breaks you come signing day.

I believe that once a recruit verbals to a school, it is against NCAA rules for another school to approach the recruit or anotherwords initiate contact for the purpose of recruiting. However, the recruit may approach other schools and subsequently either pull his verbal committment, or offer another one to another school if he chooses. So, if I have it right, Zach would have to initiate contact to talk recruiting to another school, be it Big 12 or not. Now, do they follow this, or do I have it right, I am not sure. But as we saw with Brantley last year, a verbal means didly, either way. Making sure you have a strong relationship with the recruit is what makes or breaks you come signing day.

It is not against NCAA rules to approach someone who has verballed ... happens all the time. Verbals are non-binding and cannot even be announced by the schools ... it is up to the player to acknowledge the fact that he has verballed somewhere.

Jumping on the bandwagon after finally getting a chance to check out the links. I can't believe this - we have got to hold onto this guy. What I want to know is how the heck did the staff find a true blue chip QB prospect down in TX and get him on board.

is this the 1st year that there are 25 qb's at the elite 11?
Yes, usually there are 24, but Dilfer made an executive decision to add a kid he really thought should be there.

Another note: this isn't really "the top 25 QBs", it's 25 QBs that Dilfer thinks exude the qualities necessary to succeed under center.

Yes, usually there are 24, but Dilfer made an executive decision to add a kid he really thought should be there.

Another note: this isn't really "the top 25 QBs", it's 25 QBs that Dilfer thinks exude the qualities necessary to succeed under center.

While true he chose these 25 out of over a 1000 he witnessed via film and other means ... that speaks volumes for Zack ... I can't wait to see him on the hill ... Texas QB that compares to McCoy only a stronger arm ... YES PLEASE!

And just to clarify for those that haven't watched the video, Zach was #22 on the list. He wasn't the exception.

I think some people are pointing out that the criticism Marrone takes for not getting 4 and 5 star kids is unfounded because the recruiting services aren't the be-all-end-all. He's establishing himself as someone that has is own evaluations of players, and they don't always match up with recruiting services that supposedly do nothing but evaluate talent (or he's sometimes ahead of them). A story like this strengthens his legitimacy. At least that's how I take it.

Of course it's not the be all end all, but his recruiting to date has been less than stellar. The best talent we have had have been grob's players.

I know he was put in a bad situation which made it tough to recruit, so not saying anything bad about Marrone.

But it's not like he is brought in much talent. Our talent level dropped from 2010-2011. And i think most agree it's not getting better from 2011-2012.

Every single coach in America has their own way of scouting players... And ZERO of them scout players using the scout service. It's not all that unique.

Also, the recruiting has sucked for 10 years. It ain't just Marrone. But rankings and stars aside. He has yet to bring in a super star. Or a highly sought after kid.

Of course it's not the be all end all, but his recruiting to date has been less than stellar. The best talent we have had have been grob's players.

I know he was put in a bad situation which made it tough to recruit, so not saying anything bad about Marrone.

But it's not like he is brought in much talent. Our talent level dropped from 2010-2011. And i think most agree it's not getting better from 2011-2012.

Every single coach in America has their own way of scouting players... And ZERO of them scout players using the scout service. It's not all that unique.

Also, the recruiting has sucked for 10 years. It ain't just Marrone. But rankings and stars aside. He has yet to bring in a super star. Or a highly sought after kid.

Disagree with that part of the assessment ... many feel that will end up being one of our better classes in the last 8 years ... and we might just see an uptick in recruiting over the long term ... I think this most recent class has some real potential ... Morgan, Thompson, McFarlane, etc. And even the three linemen we grabbed along with the previous years haul of Trudo and Curtis might end up yielding some nice results down the road.

Marrone has said all along they bring in players who are development projects. They're not particularly looking for guys who can come in and star right away. Those guys go to the blue chip programs.

The reason many of G-Rob's recruits were and are important pieces on the team is because they're older. More time in the weight room, more time working in the system, etc.

Besides, what does it matter if some of Marrone's best players are G-Rob recruits? Marrone's worst season record-wise yielded as many wins as Robinson's best.

And one more thing- how do you define a superstar? I didn't know who Ishaq Williams was until two months before he committed to ND. I'd never heard of Oguendeko until a month or two ago. These guys aren't LeBron James.

Yeah, it's really cool when a big name player comes aboard. But SU is no longer fighting MAC teams for recruits. They're fighting similar, mid-tier BCS programs for recruits. That's a big step up.

And while I'd like a big name or two, I'd take a consistent, solid team with good depth over two or three world beaters any day.

Flip him? Ya think? The likely hood is way over the top. I hope we are on this kid . He comes here ,he starts here in 2013 Sure he fights for it and sure he is going to win the job. He has the carisma that Nassib does not. Its his style. It appears from the kind of attention he is getting that he has the talent as well.

Disagree with that part of the assessment ... many feel that will end up being one of our better classes in the last 8 years ... and we might just see an uptick in recruiting over the long term ... I think this most recent class has some real potential ... Morgan, Thompson, McFarlane, etc. And even the three linemen we grabbed along with the previous years haul of Trudo and Curtis might end up yielding some nice results down the road.

Last year was the best class in a long time, and this class is going to be a significant improvement over that.

The program is in much better than when he came in.

Thanks to Orangepassion for this link in the Zach Allen thread.

http://search.espn.go.com/zach-allen/video/6

Trent Dilfer picked Allen to compete at the prestigious Elite 11 camp – he’s one of 25 finalists nationally. This is a huge honor and the benchmark for QB prospects. For the ‘star gazers’ these QB’s are usually the cream (the 4 and 5 star guys)

This link is of some of the process for naming the team and Zach’s qualities are discussed (with video) for potentially naming him to the team

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8083031&categoryid=8016764

Some comments about Zach Allen that popped out:

“Young Colt McCoy”
“Better arm at this stage then Colt McCoy”
“Tony Romo’s favorite QB at Dallas regional”
“All the traits that the position requires”
“does everything fast and with a purpose”
“He plays sudden”
“2nd and 3rd reaction playmaking ability”
“Dynamic athlete”
“Everything he does has urgency”
“Quick and fast mind, body, arm”
“Passer that can beat you with his legs”
“Syracuse is very lucky to have Zach Allen coming to their school”

Watched that this evening, very, very cool. Congrats to Zach and to the staff for id'ing the kid and bringing him in.

You have to be excited after this, and anybody arguing that the talent isn't improving is nuts.

The program is in much better than when he came in.

Fact... Better coach...

But talent is certainly down from 2010.

Good feeling for me to be excited about a QB prospect that we so desperately need. Its like having a car with no tires.
As long as its a 52 Corvette and not an 86 Chevy Citation, I'd be happy as sh't with or without tires.

I am only talking about the talent level from last to this coming season. Not about this recruiting class.

And while I'd like a big name or two, I'd take a consistent, solid team with good depth over two or three world beaters any day.

no offense, but Syracuse is WAY better than that. We should get a top 100 recruit, say once every DECADE, AND we should have depth. Getting a "world beater" should not get in the way of talent depth. It isn't a trade off.

Sorry if I haven't seen legit evidence yet of anything different. I am hopeful, but c'mon be a realist. the fan base has said the same thing about recruiting for 10 years now.

No it's not.

1-85, no way.

That's probably because we only had 70 players lol.

We had 6+ nfl'ers on 2010. How many do we have of this upcoming team?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom