Zach Allen named to Elite 11 camp | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Allen named to Elite 11 camp

So how come that Greenlee kid doesn't have a single offer?

As long as its a 52 Corvette and not an 86 Chevy Citation, I'd be happy as sh't with or without tires.

Close...'53 was the first year for Corvette. Blue Flame Six engine with a 2-speed automatic transmission. Available only in Polo white with red interior. First production car made from fiberglass. Largely a disappointing car that was basically saved by the v8 in '55.

no offense, but Syracuse is WAY better than that. We should get a top 100 recruit, say once every DECADE, AND we should have depth. Getting a "world beater" should not get in the way of talent depth. It isn't a trade off.

Sorry if I haven't seen legit evidence yet of anything different. I am hopeful, but c'mon be a realist. the fan base has said the same thing about recruiting for 10 years now.

What difference does it make where a recruit is ranked by independent agent? One of the most explosive offense players SU has had in forever- Mike Williams- was rated 2 stars across the board and had offers from Pitt and Wisco.

And how can you say you don't see much potential in the ranks? Are you basing this solely on watching games? Or even games live? Have you seen practices/scrimmages/etc.?

Back in 2010, did you foresee Tiller getting drafted? Or Jones going in the first round? Or Bailey, Phil Thomas, and Kevyn Scott all being signed for a chance to make a pro squad?

I get the negative nancy thing. But why bother following the team if it doesn't suit your vanity?

What difference does it make where a recruit is ranked by independent agent? One of the most explosive offense players SU has had in forever- Mike Williams- was rated 2 stars across the board and had offers from Pitt and Wisco.

And how can you say you don't see much potential in the ranks? Are you basing this solely on watching games? Or even games live? Have you seen practices/scrimmages/etc.?

Back in 2010, did you foresee Tiller getting drafted? Or Jones going in the first round? Or Bailey, Phil Thomas, and Kevyn Scott all being signed for a chance to make a pro squad?

I get the negative nancy thing. But why bother following the team if it doesn't suit your vanity?

Talking about how horrible our recruiting has been (prob close to the worst in BCS over the last decade) has nothing to do with being negative nancy but we will agree to disagree. Have a good night.

FYI I watch every single game live with an amazing amount of passion. I have attended 5 games in the last 2 years. I live in Atlanta.

Close...'53 was the first year for Corvette. Blue Flame Six engine with a 2-speed automatic transmission. Available only in Polo white with red interior. First production car made from fiberglass. Largely a disappointing car that was basically saved by the v8 in '55.
Actually, in 1952, the EX-122 concept car was officially named the Corvette by GM VP Harley Earl.. The concept car was in production since 1951.

Talking about how horrible our recruiting has been (prob close to the worst in BCS over the last decade) has nothing to do with being negative nancy but we will agree to disagree. Have a good night.

FYI I watch every single game live with an amazing amount of passion. I have attended 5 games in the last 2 years. I live in Atlanta.

I really don't understand where you're coming from with the bad recruiting thing. Granted, I've only been on board for a couple of years, but I don't see it. It's been a slow build, but it's getting there.

And besides, Rutgers has been getting some pretty great classes the last few years. Look where it's got them.

I'm also not questioning your passion or your fan hood. I mean simply- do you have eye enough for talent to tell what direction the program is heading in, just from watching live games? I've learned much more about look and ability from watching practices than actual games.

Flip him? Ya think? The likely hood is way over the top. I hope we are on this kid . He comes here ,he starts here in 2013 Sure he fights for it and sure he is going to win the job. He has the carisma that Nassib does not. Its his style. It appears from the kind of attention he is getting that he has the talent as well.

You are off the Broyld bandwagon? How can you immediately declare him a starter as a true freshman?

That's probably because we only had 70 players lol.

We had 6+ nfl'ers on 2010. How many do we have of this upcoming team?

FIrst, Marrone has had what, 3 real classes under his belt? His guys are just getting to be upperclassmen. Expecting an instantaneous recruiting turnaround after GRob is a bit ridiculous if you ask me. What do you get when you combine a mediocre conference with a school with poor facilities and a 7 consecuctive shitty seasons? A difficult sell.

Secondly, 6 NFL players on a BCS team is nothing to get excited about. Over that time period, UCONN had 7, UNC had 13, Illinois had 12 (Alabama had 19!). , even Idaho had 5. As for this team, of the upperclassmen, I believe that Lyn, Spruill, Pugh, Thomas, will play on Sundays. And that says nothing of the younger guys like Davis or Smith that have a promising future.

We have a lot of redshirt Sophs that haven't played a bunch yet. It is very difficult to evaluate these kids when many of them are this young.

It is not against NCAA rules to approach someone who has verballed ... happens all the time. Verbals are non-binding and cannot even be announced by the schools ... it is up to the player to acknowledge the fact that he has verballed somewhere.
I think it was one of those unwritten rules that most coaches and colleges follow then. Very confusing and no wonder recruits jump all over the place.

I am only talking about the talent level from last to this coming season. Not about this recruiting class.

Quit with all the negative talk about the talent. We know where you stand. Give it a rest. What are you trying to prove. Glad some others have touched some on how I feel. I assume you are talking current talent on the field. Not sure I agree as we don't know what we will see this year. I see a lot of young kids with good potential. What do you expect to happen when a coach comes in to take over a program that is in absolute shambles and pretty much a laughing stock.

-2009 class; which he had no time to do anything with was only 14 strong and is looking pretty good considering.
-2010 class is turning out to be a slight disappointment for me as a good amount of the expected "higher star" kids haven't or aren't exactly panning out. Checking out another "scouting" site and sorting by stars, of the top seven players none have shown much of anything. Malcom Cater, Johnny Miller are gone. Timbers never made it here. Kinder and Beaulieu haven't looked too stellar. Don't think much was expected by most regarding Welsh but I guess he is starting to show a little life. That said some of the lower ranked guys could end up being pretty good.
-2011 class I think showed marked improvement. Really excited about them. Started to be able to redshirt some solid talent as well.
-2012 class I think will be even better than 2011. Should be able to redshirt even more talent if we want.
-2013 class we seem to be off to a very solid start.

Just because you haven't seen it on the field yet doesn't mean recruiting isn't getting better. It takes time to realize it in the actual games. Marrone's first real class were redshirt freshman last year. Plus we had a good deal of attrition with the coaching change and a very small 2009 class. Marrone isn't a miracle worker but he is what I think SU needed. Sure some high profile big name guy could have came in and got better talent right away but no one like that was going to come here. Show some patients. Marrone is progressively bringing in better talent even if it is happening slower than you'd like. He's gaining more respect from high school coaches. No we aren't going to compete for the ACC title in the next couple of years but we are moving in the right direction. If we can keep getting classes like the last couple and how 2013 is looking we will be on our way to being a solid competitive team in the ACC. That is a good start.

Quit with all the negative talk about the talent. We know where you stand. Give it a rest. What are you trying to prove. Glad some others have touched some on how I feel. I assume you are talking current talent on the field. Not sure I agree as we don't know what we will see this year. I see a lot of young kids with good potential. What do you expect to happen when a coach comes in to take over a program that is in absolute shambles and pretty much a laughing stock.

-2009 class; which he had no time to do anything with was only 14 strong and is looking pretty good considering.
-2010 class is turning out to be a slight disappointment for me as a good amount of the expected "higher star" kids haven't or aren't exactly panning out. Checking out another "scouting" site and sorting by stars, of the top seven players none have shown much of anything. Malcom Cater, Johnny Miller are gone. Timbers never made it here. Kinder and Beaulieu haven't looked too stellar. Don't think much was expected by most regarding Welsh but I guess he is starting to show a little life. That said some of the lower ranked guys could end up being pretty good.
-2011 class I think showed marked improvement. Really excited about them. Started to be able to redshirt some solid talent as well.
-2012 class I think will be even better than 2011. Should be able to redshirt even more talent if we want.

Just because you haven't seen it on the field yet doesn't mean recruiting isn't getting better. It takes time to realize it in the actual games. Marrone's first real class were redshirt freshman last year. Plus we had a good deal of attrition with the coaching change and a very small 2009 class. Marrone isn't a miracle worker but he is what I think SU needed. Sure some high profile big name guy could have came in and got better talent right away but no one like that was going to come here. Show some patients. Marrone is progressively bringing in better talent even if it is happening slower than you'd like. He's gaining more respect from high school coaches. No we aren't going to compete for the ACC title in the next couple of years but we are moving in the right direction. If we can keep getting classes like the last couple and how 2013 is looking we will be on our way to being a solid competitive team in the ACC. That is a good start.

Recruiting is improving without any doubt - the markers are there for anyone willing to look for them. Certainly there is room for disagreement about degree but not about direction. The plan is starting to work. Keep the faith.

Fact... Better coach...

But talent is certainly down from 2010.

I think Grob was successful in bringing in some highly rated kids. Kids like Collier and Pierce and Carter. Of course, many of those "stars" didn't pan out, or in some cases never matriculated. Beyond that, I think there was a much greater disparity in the kids GRob brought in. Some good players, and then filled out the class with guys would you couldn't build a program on.

I think HCDM has not had the stars, but virtually every single kid he has brought in has a good chance to play. The result is greater depth than we had under GRob. Where previously we had no depth at all, now we're starting to look like a legitimate roster again. Now we just need a few guys to emerge, and keep improving the recruiting.

There are no negatives here, in my mind.

I hope you are right.

It just seems our fan base says the same thing year in and year out about how good our recruiting is, how the coaching staff loves this player or that player even though everyone else (the 'experts', the other schools) disagrees.

1 thing I will say, Marrone doesnt have a lot of time for slow improvement. He wont have a job with 2 more sub .500 years in a row. SOme fans on here, all of a sudden forget all the talk about Marrone during his losing streak to end the year. He could use some playmakers right now.

Quit with all the negative talk about the talent. We know where you stand. Give it a rest.

I was just responding to the guy's post, by the way.

I really don't think I am being negative. It is what it is. Alabama is a budding dynasty. I dont see that in us. And, from the actual evidence I have seen, blindly saying we are certainly heading in the right direction is wearing orange tinted glasses.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11

this is the 1st year of 25 qb's. It actually was 11, hence the name. While its great that he was invited and tony romo and trent dilfer (who here had anything nice to say about trent before thursday?) had great things to say about him... its not as elite of an invite as it was last year.

That is NOT a negative comment. But anytime you go from 12 (last year) qb's to 25, thats a fact that it is not as elite.

sorry, its been 12 for a few years now.

I hope you are right.

It just seems our fan base says the same thing year in and year out about how good our recruiting is, how the coaching staff loves this player or that player even though everyone else (the 'experts', the other schools) disagrees.

1 thing I will say, Marrone doesnt have a lot of time for slow improvement. He wont have a job with 2 more sub .500 years in a row. SOme fans on here, all of a sudden forget all the talk about Marrone during his losing streak to end the year. He could use some playmakers right now.

I keep a spreadsheet of the roster- it's organized by class year and RS status. I've been looking it over and over lately. There aren't many names on there that excite me in the columns for Jr/RS-So (2010 class). That said, there are a few players that excite me as So/RS-Fr (2011) (including Mungwa, Reddish, Vigile). And there's a few in the 2012 class I think can contribute right away (Broyld, Morgan, Morris) and others that I think will be really, really good players after a RS year (Ford, Palmer, Emmerich, Thompson, etc.).

To me, that says a lot about recruiting. The staff has been able to get more and more selective as time has passed. Some of the guys who were brought on board in 2010 wouldn't get much of a look for the 2013 class. That's obviously my opinion, but it is what it is.

I guess it comes down to gut feeling. I try to be positive about everything, and some guys have been puzzling. But there have been fewer and fewer head scratchers in the recruiting game over the last couple of seasons. Even the arguably biggest head scratcher from last year, Ben Lewis, proved to be a hard-nosed and versatile HS player who really seems to suit the HCDM profile.

I think there's enough on board for the team to finish at least .500 this year and be competitive in the ACC in 2013.

Of course it's not the be all end all, but his recruiting to date has been less than stellar. The best talent we have had have been grob's players.

I don't think this is accurate. GRob seemed to nab one really good guy per year like a Delone Carter, but his classes had absolutely no depth and his recruitment of lineman was pretty atrocious. Marrone has done a much better job of building depth.

I know he was put in a bad situation which made it tough to recruit, so not saying anything bad about Marrone.

But it's not like he is brought in much talent. Our talent level dropped from 2010-2011. And i think most agree it's not getting better from 2011-2012.

I think many on here disagree with you on this one. When's the last time any national media mentioned a Syracuse quarterback commitment? Our d-line will have more size than it's had in years. Reports seem to indicate we have very good young athleticism in the secondary, even if it is largely unproven on the field.

Every single coach in America has their own way of scouting players... And ZERO of them scout players using the scout service. It's not all that unique.

The thing Marrone is doing is identifying kids before many other schools do and getting offers to them. Does this ensure we get the kid? No, but it puts us in the mix and I think that's starting to pay off. He's also very methodically established relationships first in NYC, finding athletes that aren't necessarily as skilled and coached up as southern kids, then expanding to recruit heavy states like Georgia, and now apparently making inroads into Texas.

Also, the recruiting has sucked for 10 years. It ain't just Marrone. But rankings and stars aside. He has yet to bring in a super star. Or a highly sought after kid.

There's some truth to this, but I think too much importance is placed on it as we've never been a school to nab superstars on a consistant basis. We aren't an elite football school, and I'm not sure we've ever been one. We've had our moments, but one NC in 1959 compared to multiple from schools like Alabama, Miami, Florida St, Florida, Penn St, USC, Notre Dame, Nebraska, or Ohio St as well as our status as recently as 5 years ago as one of the worst teams in college football places us in the middle of the pack at best. All that to ask why would a superstar choose us at this point when he can go anywhere? I'd rather establish a solid base, just as I think Marrone has been doing, and build off of it with steady improvement. This is an important year to see if we are doing that. With steady growth, eventually we'll grab one of those kids every now and then.

I was just responding to the guy's post, by the way.

I really don't think I am being negative. It is what it is. Alabama is a budding dynasty. I dont see that in us. And, from the actual evidence I have seen, blindly saying we are certainly heading in the right direction is wearing orange tinted glasses.

Also:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_RISE_Elite_11

this is the 1st year of 25 qb's. It actually was 11, hence the name. While its great that he was invited and tony romo and trent dilfer (who here had anything nice to say about trent before thursday?) had great things to say about him... its not as elite of an invite as it was last year.

That is NOT a negative comment. But anytime you go from 12 (last year) qb's to 25, thats a fact that it is not as elite.

Alabama ?!?!? OK your not being negative if you have some absurd thinking that SU should be regarded the same as possibly the best program in the country right now.

So what if there are 25 QB's at the event now. The point is he is still playing with the big boys. There are typically around maybe 30 four and five star QB's according to the recruiting sites. Dilfer was a Superbowl QB and Romo has been to a Pro Bowl. I think they have a fairly good idea of what a good QB prospect looks like. What kind of expectations do you have? You are a negative Nancy. Do you not know what program you are following? Did you just wake up from a coma after the '98 season?

Every single coach in America has their own way of scouting players... And ZERO of them scout players using the scout service. It's not all that unique.

I have no way to know to what extent this is true, but looking at least year's class, the selector schools like Alabama, USC, Ohio State, ND, etc. were comprised entirely of 3-5 Star recruits. One might think that if they were using their own independent evaluation, there would be a sprinkling of 2-Star, "under-the-radar" kids. I don't blame them - why spend the time and money beating the bushes when you can have your pick of highly-rated guys - who if they don't pan out, you can recruit over them the next year.

So what if there are 25 QB's at the event now. The point is he is still playing with the big boys.
Agree with this 100%. It's also great that a Syracuse quarterback commit is being praised on ESPN. It can do nothing but help us. Hopefully this kid can get in some of the recievers ears and snag one for us.

Agree with this 100%. It's also great that a Syracuse quarterback commit is being praised on ESPN. It can do nothing but help us. Hopefully this kid can get in some of the recievers ears and snag one for us.

Good grief the kid was one of 25 players out of over a 1000 ... what more does he have to do? Quite frankly when is the last time we had a QB recruit garner his type of attention ... DNabb maybe? Just because they upped the number to 25 you feel that still isn't quite an accomplishment?

I think that it is huge that he is going to be getting top notch instruction this summer. This young man should be beaming with confidence and ready to compete for a starting job next spring.

Every single coach in America has their own way of scouting players... And ZERO of them scout players using the scout service.

Of course every coach has his own way of doing things and do not just rely on scouting services. But I know for a fact many schools subscribe to those services.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Alabama ?!?!? OK your not being negative if you have some absurd thinking that SU should be regarded the same as possibly the best program in the country right now.

So what if there are 25 QB's at the event now. The point is he is still playing with the big boys. There are typically around maybe 30 four and five star QB's according to the recruiting sites. Dilfer was a Superbowl QB and Romo has been to a Pro Bowl. I think they have a fairly good idea of what a good QB prospect looks like. What kind of expectations do you have? You are a negative Nancy. Do you not know what program you are following? Did you just wake up from a coma after the '98 season?

Alabama sucked 7 years ago... Obviously their ceiling is quite a bit higher than ours. But no reason we can't be a Ga Tech.

I am not being a negative nancy. I was just stating that it went from 12 players to 25 this year. Still a great accomplishment.

And your assessment of dilfer and romo is hilarious. no way that was the overall feel of those 2 players on wed. Funny how some nice words of our qb commit changes that. Dilfer is known to be the worst super bowl qb of all time and romo is romo.