Zach Mahoney | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Mahoney

I think Zach's accuracy isn't as bad as people think. A number of his throws weren't even close. To me, this wasn't a matter of bring inaccurate, it was just something mechanical that failed.

It seems when he has time to get set up and has his fingers on the laces he throws a good ball. But if he's rushed and things aren't in place then the ball comes out erratically.

Good QB's are good at throwing the ball no matter where it is in their hands. Some just need practice at throwing "knuckleballs".

He did make a couple of beautiful deep ball throws.

This really doesn't surprise me as I expected Dungey to excel, Culpepper to not be ready, and Wilson to put it nicely, to continue to be Wilson. So the #2 spot seemed like a shoe in for Mahoney outside of Culpepper being way ahead of schedule.

If it's this way heading into the fall, he should be on scholarship if you ask me.

I'll eat some crow on this. I didn't think he'd be there, or, that this coaching change would be good for him.

Still, personally, think he lacks a couple of key attributes. But, you've got to give it to him, he's getting it done.

I will as well, I thought Wilson was going to win #2. I stand corrected, but I will say that you never know what will happen with Fall ball.

Kid deserves a scholarship.
Why? Because he kept us close in a few games? He's not good enough.

He's willing to pay his own way and stick around regardless, so why not save the scholarship for someone who needs it?

He's willing to pay his own way and stick around regardless, so why not save the scholarship for someone who needs it?

I could agree with you if Wilson wasn't on scholarship.

There should be a rule that if a player has not been offered a scholarship , they can transfer without having to sit out a year.

There should be a rule that if a player has not been offered a scholarship , they can transfer without having to sit out a year.

That is the rule, as long as they weren't recruited to the school:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

That is the rule, as long as they weren't recruited to the school:

One-time transfer exception: If you transfer from a four-year school, you may be immediately eligible to compete at your new school if you meet ALL the following conditions:

• You are transferring to a Division II or III school, or you are transferring to a Division I school in any sport other than baseball, men's or women's basketball, football (Football Bowl Subdivision) or men’s ice hockey. If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
  • You are academically and athletically eligible at your previous four-year school.
  • You receive a transfer-release agreement from your previous four-year school.

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms
Not to an FBS school? Why , they are not giving these players anything and are benefiting from it. Seems like excessive power for the schools with no skin in the game.

I could agree with you if Wilson wasn't on scholarship.
Wilson was recruited and we're doing the correct thing by honoring his scholarship until he leaves. Doesn't matter if Mahoney is better than him or not. It's still not a reason to offer a scholarship.

Not to an FBS school? Why , they are not giving these players anything and are benefiting from it. Seems like excessive power for the schools with no skin in the game.

Yes they can transfer to an FBS school without having to sit out. This part right here says that:

If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.

Yes they can transfer to an FBS school without having to sit out. This part right here says that:

If you are transferring to a Division I school for any of the previously-listed sports, you may be eligible to compete immediately if you were not recruited by your original school and you have never received an athletics scholarship.
you may be eligible ? There is a lot of this going on at the factories .

Bnoro I agree with a lot of what you say but disagree here completely. He was good enough to keep us close in games against LSU and Clemson. He's not the best prospect on the roster but because he is a gamer with serious effort the score was as close as it would have been with any other QB's playing. Those two games right there deserve it in my book. Who cares if he was recruited or not and if he is willing to stay if not paid. Don't we have extra Scholies to give anyway? You give him a scholarship because its the right thing to do. He seriously helped our team playing the most important position against the big boys and was good enough to start quite a few games. Why does any other walk on want to come here if you don't give a kid like this a scholarship? Seems like that is just being disrepectful of your walk ons. This is a no brainer if you ask me.

You know who else couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with a football as a college QB? Tim Tebow. Yep, i went there.

No, Mahoney isn't nearly the athlete that Tebow is/was but he is a bonafide college QB that has issues throwing the ball accurately.

Bnoro I agree with a lot of what you say but disagree here completely. He was good enough to keep us close in games against LSU and Clemson. He's not the best prospect on the roster but because he is a gamer with serious effort the score was as close as it would have been with any other QB's playing. Those two games right there deserve it in my book. Who cares if he was recruited or not and if he is willing to stay if not paid. Don't we have extra Scholies to give anyway? You give him a scholarship because its the right thing to do. He seriously helped our team playing the most important position against the big boys and was good enough to start quite a few games. Why does any other walk on want to come here if you don't give a kid like this a scholarship? Seems like that is just being disrepectful of your walk ons. This is a no brainer if you ask me.
If Shafer was still head coach, then maybe you give him one. Dino needs to bring in kids to play THIS SEASON. Why award a scholarship to a kid that (god willing) won't be playing significant minutes outside of a holder for field goals this year?

We have 3 scholarships left to use. We have offers out to DTs and DEs, and those are more pressing positions.

You know who else couldn't hit the broad side of the barn with a football as a college QB? Tim Tebow. Yep, i went there.

No, Mahoney isn't nearly the athlete that Tebow is/was but he is a bonafide college QB that has issues throwing the ball accurately.
Tebow won a Heisman trophy. You're out of your damn mind if you're going to compare the two.

If Shafer was still head coach, then maybe you give him one. Dino needs to bring in kids to play THIS SEASON. Why award a scholarship to a kid that (god willing) won't be playing significant minutes outside of a holder for field goals this year?

We have 3 scholarships left to use. We have offers out to DTs and DEs, and those are more pressing positions.

Can they do it year to year?

So if we don't get the 3 kids we want, you could give Mahoney one for the year, and then re-evaluate?

Agree with you that we need to cover our needs first. But if we come up empty and there's one sitting there, he's a kid I'd like to see get one.

I see what you're doing here, and I respect you, but thats a bad comparison. Tebow was 10x the player Mahoney will ever be. Maybe 20. If it makes Mahoney feel better, hes 20x the QB I will ever be. :)

Does Mahoney deserve a scholarship for what he did for us last year? Absolutely!
Should he get one for this year? Only if we have one to spare...
Unfair that Wilson has one but Zack does not, but such is life...

Does Mahoney deserve a scholarship for what he did for us last year? Absolutely!
Should he get one for this year? Only if we have one to spare...
Unfair that Wilson has one but Zack does not, but such is life...
How many scholarship players wont even see the field in 4 years and there is a question about giving Mahoney a scholarship? Especially what he did for SU FB last year! No brainer

Why does any other walk on want to come here if you don't give a kid like this a scholarship? Seems like that is just being disrepectful of your walk ons. This is a no brainer if you ask me.

Walk-ons come here with the expectation that they will be walk-ons for four years - nothing more.

How many scholarship players wont even see the field in 4 years and there is a question about giving Mahoney a scholarship? Especially what he did for SU FB last year! No brainer
What did he do for SU FB last year? He won a single game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jojo123

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom