Zach Mahoney | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Zach Mahoney

Can they do it year to year?

So if we don't get the 3 kids we want, you could give Mahoney one for the year, and then re-evaluate?

Agree with you that we need to cover our needs first. But if we come up empty and there's one sitting there, he's a kid I'd like to see get one.

All athletic scholarships are year-to-year. And Mahoney should absolutely be given a scholarship if he remains 2nd on the depth chart into 2016 season.
One - there is a high likelihood we'll have one available, and -two, it is simply the right thing to do. If a walk-on earns his way into the two-deep, you pay for his ride.

Any coach would be fool not to set that precedent as an incentive to surround the team with quality practice players. It will only happen once in a blue moon. I'd feel 100x more comfortable chasing off the recruited players who do not (or cannot) perform then NOT offering a scholarship to a walk-on who worked his way onto the 2-deep.

Bnoro I agree with a lot of what you say but disagree here completely. He was good enough to keep us close in games against LSU and Clemson. He's not the best prospect on the roster but because he is a gamer with serious effort the score was as close as it would have been with any other QB's playing. Those two games right there deserve it in my book. Who cares if he was recruited or not and if he is willing to stay if not paid. Don't we have extra Scholies to give anyway? You give him a scholarship because its the right thing to do. He seriously helped our team playing the most important position against the big boys and was good enough to start quite a few games. Why does any other walk on want to come here if you don't give a kid like this a scholarship? Seems like that is just being disrepectful of your walk ons. This is a no brainer if you ask me.
....not to mention that his team mates love and respect him. If he wins the back-up role, he absolutely deserves a scholly.

Walk-ons come here with the expectation that they will be walk-ons for four years - nothing more.

He was a recruited walk-on - that's garbage. The whole point of a Preferred Walk-On program is to give kids that are marginal D1 prospects the opportunity to earn a scholarship while at the same time improving the quality of your scout team.

Joe schmoe off the street that couldn't even play JUCO? I agree with you.

If Shafer was still head coach, then maybe you give him one. Dino needs to bring in kids to play THIS SEASON. Why award a scholarship to a kid that (god willing) won't be playing significant minutes outside of a holder for field goals this year?

We have 3 scholarships left to use. We have offers out to DTs and DEs, and those are more pressing positions.
DE is the most pressing position on the team no doubt but DT is not a very pressing position. I don't know who they have scholarship offers out to but I would be extremely surprised if they could bring in 3 more deserving players. I doubt there is any DT for that matter that would be likely to play much at all and be as likely to contribute as much as Mahoney. Our #2 QB in a pass heavy offense with a starter that has concussion concerns. How can there be a more important back-up? Sure we all hope Dungey doesn't get hurt but IMO there is at least a fair chance he misses some games. If Mahoney enters the season as our legitimate #2 I would be extremely disappointed if he isn't offered a scholarship.

Walk-ons come here with the expectation that they will be walk-ons for four years - nothing more.
No they don't expect a scholarship to be given. Walk ons come here with the assumption they will be a part of the team. But they should expect a shot at a scholarship if they beat out other players, are strong contributors to the team, start football game and earned that scholarship. If there is a scholly to give that player should expect it. Was he as good as Dungey? No, but that doesn't mean he doesn't deserve it.

Last edited:
Lots of #HotTakes on this thread.

If no one passes him on the depth chart, give him a scholly. If he drops, he's still a walk on.

What did he do for SU FB last year? He won a single game.

Got on the field and contributed.

He's not a pitcher. He doesn't get W's and L's.

I'd say players that are important enough to get on the field and/or be on the 2 deep(backup QB is important) deserve scholarships.

bnoro said:
What did he do for SU FB last year? He won a single game.

Don't disagree here - but that was one we wanted bad. No matter your feeling towards Shafer - that was a nice way to end the season.

Tebow won a Heisman trophy. You're out of your damn mind if you're going to compare the two.

And a couple national titles. And he's without question 1 of the great college football players of recent memory, if not all-time. I love Zach Mahoney, but he and Tebow don't have much in common when it comes to football ability.

And a couple national titles. And he's without question 1 of the great college football players of recent memory, if not all-time. I love Zach Mahoney, but he and Tebow don't have much in common when it comes to football ability.

My over-riding point, which was poorly articulated, was that you do not need to be an accurate passer to be a competent college QB who can move the chains and be a leader/have the team rally around you. Just because Wilson has a stronger arm and is more accurate, that doesn't make him better than Mahoney.

Drew Allen had a stronger and allegedly more accurate arm than Terrel Hunt and we all know who the better QB was in that competition.

That said, I agree that you absolutely honor Wilson's scholarship and that if at the end of Fall camp Mahoney is #2, he ought to get one; Not just for his hard work and ability, but to send a message that the best players get schollies no matter how they end up on campus.

IF the kid is going to be our backup QB he will be given a scholarship. I don't think he will be as he can't throw the ball efficiently enough for this offense.

Why is Mahoney more deserving than other Walk-ons who have already invested 3-4 years in the program. Because he contributed last year after 19 QB's were injured? Because he's on the 2-deep this year after Spring Ball?

Hernz Laguerre's on the 2-Deep - he's a Sr. who's been a walk-on his entire career.

Jacob Hill's on the 2-Deep, he's a contributor, he's been here just as long.

Eric Anthony's contributed on ST's in the past - he's been a walk on for his entire career.

What precedent does it set when you give a scholarship to Mahoney over other walk-ons who've spent twice, sometimes 3 x's the amount of time working their butt's off with no scholarship to show?

My over-riding point, which was poorly articulated, was that you do not need to be an accurate passer to be a competent college QB who can move the chains and be a leader/have the team rally around you. Just because Wilson has a stronger arm and is more accurate, that doesn't make him better than Mahoney.

Drew Allen had a stronger and allegedly more accurate arm than Terrel Hunt and we all know who the better QB was in that competition.

That said, I agree that you absolutely honor Wilson's scholarship and that if at the end of Fall camp Mahoney is #2, he ought to get one; Not just for his hard work and ability, but to send a message that the best players get schollies no matter how they end up on campus.

We are not currently a team who can have an immobile pro style QB. That is the major reason Wilson is not playing, he is not very mobile and is slow on his reads. The reason for this is that we do not have an O-line that can protect that type of QB. Mahoney is frankly a better QB for us because he has the ability to move and escape.

I do not think he is that bad a passer either. He was thrown into duty last year, and played very well in my opinion. I firmly believe his passing will improve.

The kid deserves a Scholie.

Going forward hopefully our line gets better, and we can use those pro style QB's, but historically our O-lines have generally not been that dominating, and only a mobile QB could get us wins.

Tebow completed roughly 67% of his passes at Florida. Now, how many were more than 10 yards downfield, I don't know. It's not like was Peyton Manning back there.

I agree with you that Mahoney offers more than Wilson. I think Mahoney is the better player, and should he stay at #2 on the depth chart, I'm all for giving him a scholarship. I was just making a point that Tebow and Mahoney was a reach for a comparison. But I completely understand where you're coming from.

We are not currently a team who can have an immobile pro style QB. That is the major reason Wilson is not playing, he is not very mobile and is slow on his reads. The reason for this is that we do not have an O-line that can protect that type of QB. Mahoney is frankly a better QB for us because he has the ability to move and escape.

I do not think he is that bad a passer either. He was thrown into duty last year, and played very well in my opinion. I firmly believe his passing will improve.

The kid deserves a Scholie.

Going forward hopefully our line gets better, and we can use those pro style QB's, but historically our O-lines have generally not been that dominating, and only a mobile QB could get us wins.
Being a mobile QB doesn't matter in this offense. If he's the backup after fall camp I'll eat my hat.

Why is Mahoney more deserving than other Walk-ons who have already invested 3-4 years in the program. Because he contributed last year after 19 QB's were injured? Because he's on the 2-deep this year after Spring Ball?

Hernz Laguerre's on the 2-Deep - he's a Sr. who's been a walk-on his entire career.

Eric Anthony's contributed on ST's in the past - he's been a walk on for his entire career.

What precedent does it set when you give a scholarship to Mahoney over other walk-ons who've spent twice, sometimes 3 x's the amount of time working their butt's off with no scholarship to show?
The others you mentioned haven't played as many combined snaps over their respective careers than Mahoney did last year.

Being a mobile QB doesn't matter in this offense. If he's the backup after fall camp I'll eat my hat.
Keep your favorite condiments handy...you're going to need them to choke down a cap.

Marinade might be helpful.

Wilson was recruited and we're doing the correct thing by honoring his scholarship until he leaves. Doesn't matter if Mahoney is better than him or not. It's still not a reason to offer a scholarship.

I don't think that I could disagree with you more.

Just because he was recruited originally out of HS. That. Is. BS. Period. Wilson based on his ability and the fact that scholarships when he was recruited are not 4 year deals, he should have had his scholly pulled the second a walk-on beat him out IMO.

How many snaps have those kids actually played? Not diminishing what they have done at all but you are comparing them to a kid who not only started, what 6 games but won one and was competitive in 5 more.

Not to mention that he beat out Wilson for the back-up job last year as a 1st year walk-on and appears to have beat him out again for the back-up job again this year. That means something, like he actually has more ability than a kid you recruited as scholarship player.

Oh yeah, he beat out a Freshmans stud scholarship player for the back-up role as well.

Why are we talking about fairness to walk ons who havent crack the lineup? IMO it doesn't matter how long you been there. Tough luck, GET BETTER!!! Its all about what you do when you get there. Mahoney has done that but Im gonna leave out whatever he did last year because this is a new staff. Fresh slate for all players. (btw bnoro he did win a game for us).

- So Mahoney learns a whole new offense that is more demanding and is supposively not his fit but still wins the back up job.
- He is on the two deep at a power 5 school at the most important position.
- Being a reliable back up this year is helping the future of the program because it allows Culpepper to redshirt

I think he earned a scholly. I hope Dungey doesn't get hurt but if something happens, Mahoney might say no thanks Im just a back up. Sorry fellas. Go with the guy I beat out.

Last edited:

He plays QB and impacts every offensive play, thats why.

Mahoney has intangibles you can't teach fellas...onions and moxy. His arm is good enough, he makes great decisions, and with improved accuracy will run this offense behind ED. wilson looks great getting off the bus but in a pressure game situation he folds. Not enough people on this board give him credit for the job he did against 2 high profile defenses on the bug stage. Most " walk on" qbs would have soiled their daipers.

Just spending time as a walk on doesn't warrant a scholarship.

Eric Anthony's contributions are appreciated but minimal in the grand scheme of things.

Heinz Laguerre's has not done much of anything on the field yet but if he holds off Gabe Sherrod and the freshman for a second string role he probably still wouldn't get one. When does the decision need to be made before the season? if so I don't see how Laguerre would be deserving yet.

Don't think Jacob Hill is deserving yet but he has a shot in the future in Babers system. He may get some opportunities to shine but I foresee Riley coming in and being a big surprise for us with some early contributions in the slot and contributing strong as a return man. Plus Avant being healthy will make that spot hard to hold on to.

Mahoney has some limitations but should improve. Now if Mahoney can't hold on to second string entering the season he probably doesn't deserve it. But if he does he gets it if I was running things. Sometimes opportunity makes all the difference in sports. He has already proved what he can contribute on the big stage. And those saying he only won one game come on. He basically was the starter for 4 games. 2 were against top 10 teams where we almost had a shot to win and 2 other games against P5 teams where he went 1-1. How many starting QB's have we had over the last 15 years that would take results like that?

Can they do it year to year?

So if we don't get the 3 kids we want, you could give Mahoney one for the year, and then re-evaluate?

Agree with you that we need to cover our needs first. But if we come up empty and there's one sitting there, he's a kid I'd like to see get one.

There have been some changes to the scholarship rule...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...dance-student-athletes-scholarships/21921073/
"In another significant change, the schools and the reps narrowly approved legislation that will prevent schools and coaches from choosing not to renew an athlete's scholarship for athletic reasons. Under the system that has been in place, most athletic scholarships are subject to annual renewal."

Some well thought out responses, I get it, people love QB's.

Doesn't change the fact that he played QB as a gift. Beating a stud Fr QB? Still a FR coming off an ACL who didn't throw a ball last season? Cmon.

Nobody knows what 95% of each of a walk-ons contributions have been. They're more valuable throughout the week than they should be on Saturdays. A walk on is a walk on, whether or not they found their way to the lineup via injury. This is going to sound brutal, but in all honesty, if everything goes according to plan he'll never see the field again. And that should be considered a good thing because it means #2's on the field.

We are ridiculously thin at QB. Especially given what we've seen in the past couple years. Honestly, kudos to Mahoney for winning the #2, but let's not act like he beat out a handful of guys to get there.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom