zeller and the refs | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

zeller and the refs

I know I'm being a tad paranoid here - but there will be (similar to OState) a "white guys, clean as a whistle" vs the "NYC tough, black and in NCAA trouble" angle. It drove me crazy last year - I remember the announcer saying he spent time around the Syracuse players and realized they were good guys too (in a surprised voice).

I don't think white vs black - so much as "clean cut mid west" vs "NCAA violations NYC" ... hopefully it doesn't translate to the refs, but I'm jaded from last year...

These stats support what I feared. And this doesn't even factor the refs in a pressure situation. Under normal circumstances based on the stats, we would expect foul trouble to our bigs. In under 30 minutes per game Zeller is collecting between 7-8 fouls and that is against normal people - Rak, BMK, and Dirty have to be considered foul prone.

Against Temple, Zeller got in foul trouble early. Kept Temple in the game. If Zeller doesn't have any foul problems why wouldn't Crean play him at least 35? Zeller alone would pick up 10-12 fouls on our bigs and of course Dirty.

I know its a long shot, but I really hope JB can muster some minutes for DC2 in the first half. DC2 could present a different type of defense, absorb some fouls, and maybe, just maybe draw a couple out of Zeller. It could catch Indy by surprise.

There is a silver lining though. In 5 of the 6 IU losses Zeller had 10 or fewer shot attempts. He still got to the free throw line BUT when opposition was fouling they were making sure he didnt get the shot off for an and 1. IF we do foul we need to make sure to foul well enough that the shot gets nowhere near the rim. Make him earn 2 instead of an easy 2 + 1.

we need to get out to a nice lead cuz the refs are gonna give zeller every call, especially in the 2nd half, i could tell on sunday hes gonna be the darling of the tournament. he'll get away with travels, he'll get away with lowering his shoulder, he'll get away with over and backs, any borderline block/charge call will go his way. he'll get the benefit of the doubt on every call. and i guarandamntee rak and baye will get called for touch fouls on him.

honestly the refs scare me more than indiana in this game, same with oladipo, he'll be hand checking and clutching mcw all game long but the refs wont call anything.

Pathetic!;)

Pathetic!;)
images

I believe IU has been called for 16 fouls total in the tournament

South needs to go all fragrant 2 on him. Stay out the lane with that or you'll get another one!

There is a silver lining though. In 5 of the 6 IU losses Zeller had 10 or fewer shot attempts. He still got to the free throw line BUT when opposition was fouling they were making sure he didnt get the shot off for an and 1. IF we do foul we need to make sure to foul well enough that the shot gets nowhere near the rim. Make him earn 2 instead of an easy 2 + 1.
10 or fewer shot attempts sounds like he didn't play as much as usual. Seems like Crean will be insisting on the touches for Zeller.

Our bigs are going to have to bring it defensively. That means Rak has to get mean. He had glimpses last year in the tourney, now would be a good time for him to get that mean streak back. BMK needs to be active and pesky. A baited foul or two out of Zeller trying to bull through BMK could make a world of difference.

10 or fewer shot attempts sounds like he didn't play as much as usual. Seems like Crean will be insisting on the touches for Zeller.

Our bigs are going to have to bring it defensively. That means Rak has to get mean. He had glimpses last year in the tourney, now would be a good time for him to get that mean streak back. BMK needs to be active and pesky. A baited foul or two out of Zeller trying to bull through BMK could make a world of difference.

Missed shots, when the shooter is fouled, do not count as shot attempts. Hit the shot and it's 1-1 miss the shot and it's 0-0 in the score books like the shot never happened.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom