Zion may return to Duke (and snub Pelicans)... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Zion may return to Duke (and snub Pelicans)...

Freak things can happen. Remember his shoe tear during game. Way too much on the line to even entertain his return to college. Absolutely no return!

Winning sells tickets. We all know that. It's an uphill battle when your team has very little past success and you are in the smallest market. Not a place players are pining for.

I get your point, but theres about 10-15 cities I would personally rather work in than some of those other NBA markets.

If you’re talking about cities to live in as a 18-19 yo yeah I get it.

But just from a franchise standpoint I don’t know why you pick NY over any number of small market teams.

Outside of LeBron James camp Brian Windworst has no real NBA sources.

No way Zion was going to do this. It’s not like the Knicks or Lakers would be viable spots for him next year.
It’s obvious Zion wanted NY but it’s not like NO isn’t a viable market.
One of the top 5 players in the NBA currently plays in NO. He was a #1 pick. When's the last time you saw a commercial or anything other than an NBA game with Anthony Davis in it? Although he has been one of the most talked about players in the league this year. I'd say the NO market is close to non-existent. Great place to visit though.

IMO it wasn't just a case of he wouldn't return to dook. I think he couldn't return to dook even if he wanted to because he probably didn't have enough credits to be eligible as a sophomore. 99.999% of OADs take 12 credits in the Fall (the number required under Federal guidelines to be considered a full-time student), pass them, enroll for 12 credits in the Spring, and then withdraw once their season is over.

IMO it wasn't just a case of he wouldn't return to dook. I think he couldn't return to dook even if he wanted to because he probably didn't have enough credits to be eligible as a sophomore. 99.999% of OADs take 12 credits in the Fall (the number required under Federal guidelines to be considered a full-time student), pass them, enroll for 12 credits in the Spring, and then withdraw once their season is over.

I suspect Duke would find a way.

One of the top 5 players in the NBA currently plays in NO. He was a #1 pick. When's the last time you saw a commercial or anything other than an NBA game with Anthony Davis in it? Although he has been one of the most talked about players in the league this year. I'd say the NO market is close to non-existent. Great place to visit though.
Anthony Davis is one of the top stars in the league.
Paul George has sold a crazy amount sneakers while playing for Pacers in Indy and Thunder in OKC.
PG shoes along with the Kyrie’s are the top sellers.

AD is marketed. It’s just his team has sucked outside of last year.
If the Pelicans were in the East they would be able to compete a lot easier.

Last edited:
AD is marketed. It’s just his team has sucked outside of last year.
If the Hornets were in the East they would be able to compete a lot easier.
Another reason Zion doesn't want to play there. If AD didn't have a unibrow no one except for the most ardent fan would know him. Like the Greek Freak. My wife has no idea who he is but she knows about Porzinges because he played in NY.

Another reason Zion doesn't want to play there. If AD didn't have a unibrow no one except for the most ardent fan would know him. Like the Greek Freak. My wife has no idea who he is but she knows about Porzinges because he played in NY.

Uh, srsly?

He won a Natty at UK, and was the POY and undisputed #1 draft pick.
And he's a pretty amazing NBA player, who can do almost anything on a basketball court, at his size.

The fact that he has a catchy, memorable nickname doesn't hurt -
but if he was a bench warmer on Golden State called the 'Brow, you and your wife wouldn't know who he was either.

I know who he is (photo taken at 2012 Olymics after US won gold medal game). I am 5'8". That will give you an idea of how tall he is.

i for one long for the days of parity in the NBA.

There hasn't been parity in the NBA for a very long time. The teams that won the Championship in the 80s were the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons. In the 90s, it was the Bulls, Rockets and Spurs. In the 2000s, it was the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and Pistons. In the 2010s, it has been the Warriors, Heat, Spurs and Cavaliers. Parity is a myth. The NBA is a dynastic league.

There hasn't been parity in the NBA for a very long time. The teams that won the Championship in the 80s were the Lakers, Celtics and Pistons. In the 90s, it was the Bulls, Rockets and Spurs. In the 2000s, it was the Lakers, Spurs, Celtics and Pistons. In the 2010s, it has been the Warriors, Heat, Spurs and Cavaliers. Parity is a myth. The NBA is a dynastic league.

Yeah I know. I was being sarcastic and I love when people complain about the lack of something that’s never existed.

I’m hardly an ardent NBA fan but I’ve known who Giannis was since like 2014.
Maybe ardent is too strong a word. I'm talking about showing pictures of all the players and how many "casual/average" fans can pick out the GF. People might have heard of him but but could they all ID him. How many of them can claim to have watched the Bucks play. I'm not even sure how to describe what type of fan, but right now how many can pick Jokic out or Lillard. Guys who play in smaller cities are not as marketable or as well known. It's no difference in other sports. Do more people know Aaron Judge or Christian Yelich.

Zion could return to Duke, I could replace Jim Boeheim as the next Cuse basketball coach, American politicians could find common ground for the greater good of its people.

Could and will are very different.

I'm surprised by some of the hate NOLA is getting. There's certainly a huge dichotomy within the city, but it's an extremely marketable city if he's looking for national endorsements and it may be the best (at least it's one of my favorite) food cities in the US.

Personally I think the reason that AD is less marketable than other NBA players of his caliber is that his game isn't as flashy and he doesn't seem to have a huge personality. It's not because of where he's playing. I don't think Zion is going to have that problem.

Zion could return to Duke, I could replace Jim Boeheim as the next Cuse basketball coach, American politicians could find common ground for the greater good of its people.

Could and will are very different.

I'm surprised by some of the hate NOLA is getting. There's certainly a huge dichotomy within the city, but it's an extremely marketable city if he's looking for national endorsements and it may be the best (at least it's one of my favorite) food cities in the US.

Personally I think the reason that AD is less marketable than other NBA players of his caliber is that his game isn't as flashy and he doesn't seem to have a huge personality. It's not because of where he's playing. I don't think Zion is going to have that problem.
The whole thing is so overblown

1. He is already a huge star, he doesnt need a big market

2.. Nola is a great city, I can think of 15 nba cities that would be much worse to live in,

3. Even if things hit rock bottom and its a disaster, he will be 22 by the time he can leave and sign elsewhere.

The whole thing is so overblown
year (
1. He is already a huge star, he doesnt need a big market

2.. Nola is a great city, I can think of 15 nba cities that would be much worse to live in,

3. Even if things hit rock bottom and its a disaster, he will be 22 by the time he can leave and sign elsewhere.

1. He is not a star in the NBA...yet. He hasn't played a game

2. Nobody is talking about quality of life only. Mostly, it's about business and other opportunities. Also, have you lived in NOLA and those other cities? I'm guessing that your guessing.

3. Read up on the NBA. Teams can tie you up 5 years or longer. The 5th year being a restricted FA year where the team that drafted you can match any contract offer, including more years.

1. He is not a star in the NBA...yet. He hasn't played a game

2. Nobody is talking about quality of life only. Mostly, it's about business and other opportunities. Also, have you lived in NOLA and those other cities? I'm guessing that your guessing.

3. Read up on the NBA. Teams can tie you up 5 years or longer. The 5th year being a restricted FA year where the team that drafted you can match any contract offer, including more years.

He is going to be turning down more business opportunities than 99% of the league is even offered.

No organization worse than the Knicks.

No kidding. The Pels winning a playoff series in the West last year is more impressive than anything the Knicks have done in a decade if not this century.