Zone Penetration | Syracusefan.com

Zone Penetration

iommi

Living Legend
...we've got to stop it tonight. Absolutely paramount. Dennis Smith Jr is fantastic at getting into the paint and to the rim. Our guards have to be very conscious of that and make him a jump shooter. I really hope Tyus Battle is ready for Smith tonight and cuts off his ability to get to the rim. Tyus is strong enough to body up to Smith. He must be controlled somewhat. He will get his but if he gets too much penetration, he will cause havoc.

Also, we must be very conscious tonite of floor balance. Need to get back on defense or Smith will be a one-man fast break/wrecking crew.

...we've got to stop it tonight. Absolutely paramount. Dennis Smith Jr is fantastic at getting into the paint and to the rim. Our guards have to be very conscious of that and make him a jump shooter. I really hope Tyus Battle is ready for Smith tonight and cuts off his ability to get to the rim. Tyus is strong enough to body up to Smith. He must be controlled somewhat. He will get his but if he gets too much penetration, he will cause havoc.

Also, we must be very conscious tonite of floor balance. Need to get back on defense or Smith will be a one-man fast break/wrecking crew.

Maybe my prayers will be answered and they'll start Lydon at the 5 to get off to a good start. That would help the DSJ penetration quite a bit. Lydon is really good at protecting the rim on drives IMHO, always in the right spot while TT is lost down there. I like the Battle matchup though at this point he's pretty quick ... but its a zone so Gillon/FH are just as important and they'll both get shredded by DSJ so we need Lydon down there to clean up their mess.

Maybe my prayers will be answered and they'll start Lydon at the 5 to get off to a good start. That would help the DSJ penetration quite a bit. Lydon is really good at protecting the rim on drives IMHO, always in the right spot while TT is lost down there. I like the Battle matchup though at this point he's pretty quick ... but its a zone so Gillon/FH are just as important and they'll both get shredded by DSJ so we need Lydon down there to clean up their mess.

I mentioned Battle because he's physical enough to deal with Smith. Smith is quick too but I want Tyus to get physical with him. I hope the refs aren't whistle-happy. I think DSJ could get us into foul trouble tonight.

I mentioned Battle because he's phsyical enough to deal with Smith. Smith is quick too but I want Tyus to get phsyical with him. I hope the refs aren't whistle-happy. I think DSJ could get us into foul trouble tonight.

I agree... I'm just saying we aren't playing man2man so DSJ is gonna have chances to drive against both guards... and I have much more faith in Battle than whoever is at the second guard spot in the zone. NCS is pretty much the DSJ show 75% of their possessions will be him trying to penetrate or shoot over Gillon. I imagine they will try to get the ball in DSJ's hands against Gillon and FH a lot more than attacking Battle and it won't go well.

I agree... I'm just saying we aren't playing man2man so DSJ is gonna have chances to drive against both guards... and I have much more faith in Battle than whoever is at the second guard spot in the zone.

Absolutely and it'll be impossible to shade Battle to DSJ, with DSJ playing point guard.

Thompson is starting at center.

Thompson is starting at center.

Well I think he needs to play some either way unless we are going with DC... but I sure would rather him get 8-10 off the bench than starting in a big hole most of the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom