OT: Dave Portnoy is the worst, example #8 million | Syracusefan.com

OT: Dave Portnoy is the worst, example #8 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
I absolutely hate all the gambling talk, even on this site. Talking about not beating the spread in each half of the canisius game is a recent example.
Couldn't agree more. I feel like I'm the lone ranger sometimes when I watch the games because I enjoy them and want to see who wins and couldn't care less about betting.

Last edited:
Its the barstool invitational, blame the schools and athletic departments
I'm OK with that too.

I don't mind the occasional pool or squares, but I'm already tired of the overwhelming influence of gambling in sports. A friend of a friend used to be the CTO for one of the big daily fantasy outfits early on. She couldn't tell you the difference between football and pickleball (I exaggerate) but she certainly enjoys looking at her stock valuations.

I’m fairness, this is the barstool invitational on barstool tv. Be mad at the schools for putting their players in that situation.
I feel like there's a reasonable expectation that college basketball players playing in a tournament will not receive courtside gambling-centric harassment from the tourney's sponsors.

If people from Maui Jim did this to SU players next week, we should rightfully be infuriated.

I absolutely hate all the gambling talk, even on this site. Talking about not beating the spread in each half of the canisius game is a recent example.
To be fair, the spread is an easy benchmark for whether you had a good game. I don’t think anyone is betting on the Syracuse / Canisius game.

To be fair, the spread is an easy benchmark for whether you had a good game. I don’t think anyone is betting on the Syracuse / Canisius game.
Seriously though, I have no idea what the spreads are for any games, let alone the halves. Seems like having that information gives me insight into who the person is.

I feel like there's a reasonable expectation that college basketball players playing in a tournament will not receive courtside gambling-centric harassment from the tourney's sponsors.

If people from Maui Jim did this to SU players next week, we should rightfully be infuriated.
Maui tourney is shown on a network that isn’t about degenerate gambling and comedy. Again, this is on the schools and a microcosm of the new world of college sports in my opinion.

Everybody has a price.
bob barry jr april GIF

Maui tourney is shown on a network that isn’t about degenerate gambling and comedy. Again, this is on the schools and a microcosm of the new world of college sports in my opinion.

Everybody has a price.

Ironically, one of the big “positives” pitched on the Disney earnings call yesterday was ESPN BET, rolling out on 11/13/23. Although I do agree Disney is no longer about comedy - at least of an intentional variety - they are excited to get into the “degenerate gambling” business.

Seriously though, I have no idea what the spreads are for any games, let alone the halves. Seems like having that information gives me insight into who the person is.
I don’t know where to find spreads for the halves (if such a thing is out there). The spread for the game is usually posted on the game ribbon of the scores page on ESPN before any given game starts. It’s been that way for as long as I can remember, and you’d have to try to miss it. Doesn’t mean you need to retain that knowledge, but it’s always been easily accessible.

It makes sense to have it. Looking at the spread tells you who is expected to win and whether it’s expected to be a good game.

We should all unclutch our pearls before someone starts a Music Man style song:

“Oh you got trouble!
Chorus: Oh you got trouble!
Here in Salt City!
Chorus: Here in Salt City!
Trouble with a capital ‘T’ and that rhymes with ‘B’ and that stands for ‘bets!’”

I dunno I see an awful lot of Draft Kings and Fan Duel ads on ESPN where people that look like Subway Jared give testimonials that they won $87,000 betting on sports and you can too.
Totally agree, they have gambling shows and have had fantasy football talk for a decade now. Ads are all over the tv and radio.

I think you get the point though, there is a big difference between ESPN and a barstool network.

It would be like being upset at Nickelodeon for giving best actor to Sonic the hedgehog and sliming DiCaprio . To their audience, that makes sense.

Totally agree, they have gambling shows and have had fantasy football talk for a decade now. Ads are all over the tv and radio.

I think you get the point though, there is a big difference between ESPN and a barstool network.

It would be like being upset at Nickelodeon for giving best actor to Sonic the hedgehog and sliming DiCaprio . To their audience, that makes sense.

Maybe I have the wrong gambling outlet (don't gamble, hate all of it) but didn't McAfee do a turn at Barstool? If I'm wrong my bad...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom