OT: Dave Portnoy is the worst, example #8 million | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

OT: Dave Portnoy is the worst, example #8 million

Status
Not open for further replies.
And to make the take a bit spicier, those folks provide an even worse example because they convince others that doing good publicly makes being a tool personally and privately fine.
yeah I mean it's not always as simple as good guy or bad guy. There is some nuance

That fact that it didn’t happen isn’t important anymore. Ask Trevor Bauer
Bauer’s defense was consent, and there were texts to back that up. Also witnesses that she was hunting for a pay day.

People still think Portnoy’s horrible? Goodness

You don’t even have to step outside CNY to see the good he’s done.

Not going to fault a guy for speaking his mind. If he starts getting pc and changing who he is, he may just end up president.

Even though the post that started this back up appears to be gone, it's rare that we get an organic dusting off of a 6 month old thread.

Was just catching up on my correspondence, and found this thread on page 37, felt compelled to reply!

Not going to fault a guy for speaking his mind. If he starts getting pc and changing who he is, he may just end up president.

Idk if he’s horrible, but he is vindictive and petulant, and it’s not just a show he puts on for engagement. PC has nothing to do with this (it’s rarely relevant in anything). He’s kind of the classic jerk (jerk isn’t the word I wanted here but the term for a feminine hygiene product I wanted to use is censored, for God knows what reason). He’s also a highly motivated entrepreneur who built a very successful company and brand, so he’s a feminine hygiene product with money and power.

You don't even have to step outside of his office to see the bad he's done.

You don't even have to step outside of his office to see the bad he's done.

A multi billion dollar company that treats women, men and all forms of people equally without flaunting it in our face?

A multi billion dollar company that treats women, men and all forms of people equally without flaunting it in our face?
I was referring to sending out a tweet threatening to fire "on the spot" any employee at his blogging company who sought advice on forming a union. I hadn't even mentioned the assault allegations or the arrests.

I remember the media narrative before the 1987 Fiesta Bowl was, to some degree - the outlaw bad guys of Miami vs the straight laced good guys from Penn State. And while Miami was heavily favored, the Defensive Coordinator for Penn State, a guy named Jerry Sandusky - came up with a brilliant defensive strategy to confuse Testaverde and helped the Nittany Lions win the game. And I remember being happy with that result, because I knew the good guys won.

We’d live in a better world if people held their opinions about who are good guys and bad guys less dogmatically - I suspect we’re all wrong far more often than we’d care to admit. Especially when it comes to people we don’t know well personally. I’ve misjudged the character of people I’ve worked with closely for years, in both directions - the idea anyone can figure out the true character of someone from a few news articles and videos is some combination of arrogance and naïveté.

I remember the media narrative before the 1987 Fiesta Bowl was, to some degree - the outlaw bad guys of Miami vs the straight laced good guys from Penn State. And while Miami was heavily favored, the Defensive Coordinator for Penn State, a guy named Jerry Sandusky - came up with a brilliant defensive strategy to confuse Testaverde and helped the Nittany Lions win the game. And I remember being happy with that result, because I knew the good guys won.

We’d live in a better world if people held their opinions about who are good guys and bad guys less dogmatically - I suspect we’re all wrong far more often than we’d care to admit. Especially when it comes to people we don’t know well personally. I’ve misjudged the character of people I’ve worked with closely for years, in both directions - the idea anyone can figure out the true character of someone from a few news articles and videos is some combination of arrogance and naïveté.

You can judge somebody who essentially lives online and broadcasts their life, either good or bad. If you can't, you can't judge anybody ever, which seems absurd on its face. There's also a difference between assuming somebody is good because they haven't done anything bad that you're aware of and holding the opinion that somebody is bad based on your experiences witnessing them do things you consider bad.

You can judge somebody who essentially lives online and broadcasts their life, either good or bad. If you can't, you can't judge anybody ever, which seems absurd on its face. There's also a difference between assuming somebody is good because they haven't done anything bad that you're aware of and holding the opinion that somebody is bad based on your experiences witnessing them do things you consider bad.

Go back and reread what I wrote, because I did not say you can’t make judgements of what you think a person’s character is. What I did say was - essentially - to have some humility and realize you’re going to be wrong or inaccurate often.

Additionally - “The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.” - John Wooden. The last person in the world I would bet I correctly pegged their character is the person who “essentially lives online and broadcasts their life” - because the only data I have access to is when they know everyone is watching. And while you might think people would be on their best behavior when they are broadcasting their life, that underestimates just how profitable it can be to consciously play the heel.

Can I judge you for ever thinking Penn State were good guys?!

Go back and reread what I wrote, because I did not say you can’t make judgements of what you think a person’s character is. What I did say was - essentially - to have some humility and realize you’re going to be wrong or inaccurate often.

Additionally - “The true test of a man’s character is what he does when no one is watching.” - John Wooden. The last person in the world I would bet I correctly pegged their character is the person who “essentially lives online and broadcasts their life” - because the only data I have access to is when they know everyone is watching. And while you might think people would be on their best behavior when they are broadcasting their life, that underestimates just how profitable it can be to consciously play the heel.

Portnoy plays a character. He is also an A - hole. Both are true (or likely true).

If he’s rescuing puppies and feeding starving children in his spare time, that doesn’t make him not an A - hole.

I felt like your Penn State - Miami example missed the mark because nobody really knew anything about Sandusky. Penn State was the ‘good guy’ only because Miami was known to pay players and recruit guys with coke habits. Anybody was going to be the ‘good guy’ in comparison. But Sandusky wasn’t held up as this shining example of a good person. He was cheered for doing his job well at that point in time. Nobody was making character judgements.

Again, it’s the difference between assuming something based on the absence of information vs. ‘knowing’ something based on the presence of information. I can tell you the sun is hot because I have felt the heat from the sun. I don’t need to know more about the sun to confirm if it’s actually hot or not. I can’t tell you what child birth feels like because I haven’t experienced child birth. I could only guess/infer that it hurts a lot.

Such an interesting conversation. I find it very hard to pass judgement on people in totality based on a small percentage of information, much of which I cannot know the accuracy of. Sure sometimes the facts are so egregious that you can say a person is a bad person. That said its a sad world if there is no hope of redemption and thus no motivation to better oneself. I will admit to having done some pretty messed up bad stuff and some of those things were decisions I made knowing I was choosing to do something objectively bad.

I have run across people that are really good people, better than my best will ever be. For reference, the type of people that have never even thought of let alone consider the bad things that I have actually done. Then there are the bad things that I consider on a regular basis and chose not to do. These people live in a world that doesn't even exist for me. That doesn't mean that I find myself to have no value to others or that I haven't done many things that were objectively good for other people. It just means that there are levels to this and its a very tricky judgement call to make. Is my attempting to be a good person admirable? yes. Is someone else being a good person without having to try more admirable? I'm not qualified to make that judgement, IMO.

i don't understand the portnoy hate. the guy and his friends are kinda tools, but they're just typical north east sports bros that worked hard and got pretty rich doing what they love.

This is insane. These guys were literally shouting at college basketball players in the middle of a game to do things that would help their bet.

I bet regularly and this is beyond inappropriate in any context

This is asinine.

"Not going to fault a guy for just speaking his mind" - what about Nick Fuentes, Hasan Piker, Doug Gottleib, or the Charlottesville tiki torch holders? Do you "not fault them for speaking their mind"?

If someone's mind is ill-informed, toxic, or bigoted you should absolutely fault a person for speaking it

Don’t forget the anti-Semitic Hamas supporters on college campuses.

we’re really comparing him to far right loons now? This is getting off the rails a bit.
I try to avoid conversations about Portnoy, but multiple times the guy has led his Stoolies to doxx women. That is reprehensible.

I'm glad he raises money for deserving people.

His taste in pizza sucks.

This is asinine.

"Not going to fault a guy for just speaking his mind" - what about Nick Fuentes, Hasan Piker, Doug Gottleib, or the Charlottesville tiki torch holders? Do you "not fault them for speaking their mind"?

If someone's mind is ill-informed, toxic, or bigoted you should absolutely fault a person for speaking it
How does Gottleib get lumped in there?

No. Bring an actual argument, not this dumb nonsense.
Yeah jokes are usually nonsense - that's kind of the point.

I figured his decades-long history of being dumb and wrong about SU hoops would make that obvious in an SU hoops forum, but I guess I was wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom