2015 Commits in the ACC | Syracusefan.com

2015 Commits in the ACC

CuseLegacy

Here is just a partial list of some of the other schools in the conference and their current 2015 commit lists.. I am looking forward to the day when we don't seem to be behind other schools in our conference in recruiting current classes.

Duke (3)
NamePos.Ht./Wt.Stars^High School/Junior College

Brandon BoyceDT6-1/250 3/-Fort Lauderdale (FL) University
Jordan HayesDB6-0/175 -/3Grayson (GA) High
Zach MorrisDE6-4/255 3/3Ringgold (GA) High

Georgia Tech (1)

Will BrianOL6-3/260 3/3Carnesville (GA) Franklin County

Miami (5)

Kevin FederOL6-9/305 3/3Ramsey (NJ) Don Bosco
Charles PerryLB6-2/200 3/3Royal Palm Beach (FL) HS
Emonee SpenceWR6-3/185 -/3Pembroke Pines (FL) Flanagan
Ryan FinesDT6-3/290 -/3Bradenton (FL) Manatee
Leeward Brown OL6-4/315 3/3Miramar (FL) HS

North Carolina (2)

Ronnie HarrisonDB6-2/195 4/3Tallahassee (FL) Florida
Andre SmithLB6-0/225 3/3Jacksonville (FL) Trinity

Pittsburgh (3)

Nick BowersTE6-4/235 3/-Kittanning (PA) HS
Kevin GivensLB6-3/230 3/3Altoona (PA) HS
Alex PaulinaOL6-3/280 3/3Cnonsburg (PA) McMillan

Virginia (1)

Juan ThornhillDB6-1/175 3/-Altavista (VA) HS

Virginia Tech (3)

Mook ReynoldsDB6-0/170 3/3Greensboro (NC) North Guilford
Duwayne JohnsonDB6-1/165 3/3Washington (DC) Woodson
Ashton WhiteDB5-11/175 3/4Washington (DC) Friendship

Are there any potential early commitments for the Cuse and wasn't Howard about the same time last year?

Are there any potential early commitments for the Cuse and wasn't Howard about the same time last year?

early commits would have been last year.

I really couldn't even give a guess on who would be seriously considering us right now. Hopefully we have something in the works. Still waiting for a Junior Day, which is starting to look like it won't happen. I can't see them doing it during Spring ball, which starts in about 3 weeks. Pretty disappointing

When I look at that list I see a lot of home grown kids.

True but then you also have Duke with two from GA and one from FL and NC with two from FL. Seems they are able to get out of state early commits.

True but then you also have Duke with two from GA and one from FL and NC with two from FL. Seems they are able to get out of state early commits.

Do you have any idea how good those kids are or the relationships they might have had with those staffs?

We're really fortunate though that signing day is a year away and not in a couple months. whew.

Do you have any idea how good those kids are or the relationships they might have had with those staffs?

We're really fortunate though that signing day is a year away and not in a couple months. whew.

Well if you go by stars, lol, all those kids on those lists are 3 stars. And it isn't just these schools that already have commits. I just hope the staff is scrambling at the last minute again.

early commits would have been last year.

I really couldn't even give a guess on who would be seriously considering us right now. Hopefully we have something in the works. Still waiting for a Junior Day, which is starting to look like it won't happen. I can't see them doing it during Spring ball, which starts in about 3 weeks. Pretty disappointing
You keep mentioning the lack of a Jr Day and how disappointing it is. You said that even BC drew a bunch of players for their Jr Day...some were highly rated.

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that Jr Day attendees are responsible for expenses...correct? So that means, for the most part, attendees probably live within driving distance or their parents have the financial ability to pay for airfare and overnight expenditures.

If my assumptions are anywhere near close to being correct, I think having a well attended Jr Day at SU would be a very difficult thing to pull off. Historically, NYS isn't considered a HS football mecca and produces a relatively low number of D1 level players. So we'd have to hope that players from the surrounding states would make the 4-5 hour drive (each way) for an event. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Btw, where are these highly rated players that visited BC from?

You keep mentioning the lack of a Jr Day and how disappointing it is. You said that even BC drew a bunch of players for their Jr Day...some were highly rated.

It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that Jr Day attendees are responsible for expenses...correct? So that means, for the most part, attendees probably live within driving distance or their parents have the financial ability to pay for airfare and overnight expenditures.

If my assumptions are anywhere near close to being correct, I think having a well attended Jr Day at SU would be a very difficult thing to pull off. Historically, NYS isn't considered a HS football mecca and produces a relatively low number of D1 level players. So we'd have to hope that players from the surrounding states would make the 4-5 hour drive (each way) for an event. I'm not sure how feasible that is.

Btw, where are these highly rated players that visited BC from?

Yes they do pay there own expenses to a Jr Day.

This was from a free article on 24/7 that shows some of the prospects that attended BCs Jr Day..

QUARTERBACK:
Marin Catholic (CA) prospect Morgan Mahalak is one of the top signal callers in the 2014 class and is already receiving interest from UNC, Miami, Boise State and more. The Eagles have been recruiting him since his sophomore year and he credits a strong relationship with recruiting coordinator Andrew Raphael for his interest in BC.
RUNNING BACK:
Calvert Hall (MD) athlete Russell Neverdon has been to Boston College before and the old staff was impressed with his abilities. However, he's now looking to make a connection with the new staff as he returns to Chestnut Hill.
WIDE RECEIVER:
Cardinal O'Hara (PA) athlete Thaddius Smith is receiving strong interest from Boston College and could be on the verge of an offer. He received a visit from the staff this week as a prelude to this weekend's trip. The Top247 athlete already holds offers from Rutgers and Temple.
OFFENSIVE LINE:
Dexter School (MA) tackle James Hendren is the top player in the state of Massachusetts according to 247Sports. He had a strong relationship with the previous staff and it will be essential for the new coaches to build an equally strong bond with the four-star prospect. An offer may not be far off.
DEFENSIVE LINE:
Scranton Prep (PA) defensive end Noah Beh has also played host to the Eagles coaches recently and has received three offers over the last month from UConn, Pitt and Temple. Boston College may not be far behind for the highly-touted pass rusher.
LINEBACKERS:
DePaul Catholic (NJ) linebacker Justin Nelson received a visit from the coaches and is returning the favor this weekend. The three-star, 87-rated prospect also has interest from West Virginia, South Carolina, Michigan State and more.
DEFENSIVE BACK:
Cardinal O'Hara (PA) athlete Dashawn Darden could play a variety of positions, but for the sake of this exercise, we're placing him as a defensive back. He was awarded Philadelphia Catholic League Offensive Player of the Year as a dual-threat quarterback this season.

Plus BC already has a 2015 commit from Anthony Palazzolo. The offensive tackle is a four-star prospect from Connecticut.

Last edited:
This about sums up my following of recruiting over the past few years...

As long as we keep pushing, we will eventually get near the top! :D

I think we can all agree that not having traditional junior day events - for home basketball games - is a mistake.

Were I disagree is the relevance or importance of having a couple of commits right now.

I think we can all agree that not having traditional junior day events - for home basketball games - is a mistake.

Were I disagree is the relevance or importance of having a couple of commits right now.
This

Heh, I'm not going to concede even that. I don't really know whether it is a measurable, significant benefit. If the staff doesn't do it, I will defer to their professional judgment. If they want to do it during spring practice, that's fine with me.

The alternative is to assume that they want to, but don't receive the institutional support to make it happen.

Heh, I'm not going to concede even that. I don't really know whether it is a measurable, significant benefit. If the staff doesn't do it, I will defer to their professional judgment. If they want to do it during spring practice, that's fine with me.

The alternative is to assume that they want to, but don't receive the institutional support to make it happen.

At the least, I'd like an explanation from the coaches for why we don't do it.

i don't have the data to support whether it's worth it or not (ie the number of commits that result), but I would think at a minimum it would get kids talking about good experiences and cool environments and get parents hopped up on education details.

If a kid likes several of his ‘junior day’ experiences he’s already putting your school at the back of the list. And then they start making spring practice plans.

Having a junior day for the Spring game is hit or miss. You’re competing with other spring games so you’re not going to be as well attended as you could be. If they are saving a junior day for the spring then I personally hope it’s NOT the spring game. It can’t coincide with other team’s spring games.

Watch when the spring game schedules start coming out. BC, UConn, RU, Pitt, MD, UVA, Penn State, Ohio State, Illinios, Indiana, etc The southern schools have earlier spring schedules so they shouldn't be a worry.

I guess that I am looking at the role that AJ and Zaire played in recruiting last year. Having some early commits could be beneficial and play the same role as they did last year.

Also Naes and AJ had both committed by the second week in March, before the Spring Game which Zaire and Colton both attended.

Last edited:

Depends on who is committed, wouldn't you say? Sure would be nice to have a Tim Settle or Ty Wheatley on the board at this early juncture or someone with that type of caliber. That is what all the premeier schools already have. Don't kid yourself that other kids aren't looking at these things. As I said at the start of last season, there was a day when schools would wait, but that is past. Schools are locking down these top kids right out of the gate. For us to return to the world of the elite of CFB, or at least a perineal top 25 program that doesn't get hammered by teams 59-0, we need to play with the big boys in the recruiting game. Last year was pretty good, but time to take it up a notch this year. Our goal should be breaking the top 40 recruiting class next year, win at least 8 games in the regular season, don't get manhandled in 3 games, pull off at least 1 upset in the ACC, and go to a better bowl than we did last year. Recruiting can set the momentum towards Spring Ball, which then in turn can swing the momentum into summer recruiting with some clear expectations coming out for where we are as far as starters for the fall, etc. etc. if that means adding a Jr. Day, then do it. Bottom line is we don't want to be forever in the bottom of the recruiting game and competing with Wake for kids year in and year out. Winning is good thing, but obviously not evreything. look at what the bottom feeders Virginia and NC State did and are doing right now. Case and point. We need to be better then them at evreything. Just an opinion and looking forward, with lots of anxiety ofcourse, to what this team can get done this year.

This was from a free article on 24/7 that shows some of the prospects that attended BCs Jr Day..

Plus BC already has a 2015 commit from Anthony Palazzolo. The offensive tackle is a four-star prospect from Connecticut.
Ironically, their commit is 4 Star on Ryvals but only 3 stars over at Skout. The Farrell Factor.

Ironically, their commit is 4 Star on Ryvals but only 3 stars over at Skout. The Farrell Factor.
I would go with Rivals on this one, kid looks like a stud on film.

QUARTERBACK:
Marin Catholic (CA) prospect Morgan Mahalak is one of the top signal callers in the 2014 class and is already receiving interest from UNC, Miami, Boise State and more. The Eagles have been recruiting him since his sophomore year and he credits a strong relationship with recruiting coordinator Andrew Raphael for his interest in BC.
RUNNING BACK:
Calvert Hall (MD) athlete Russell Neverdon has been to Boston College before and the old staff was impressed with his abilities. However, he's now looking to make a connection with the new staff as he returns to Chestnut Hill.
WIDE RECEIVER:
Cardinal O'Hara (PA) athlete Thaddius Smith is receiving strong interest from Boston College and could be on the verge of an offer. He received a visit from the staff this week as a prelude to this weekend's trip. The Top247 athlete already holds offers from Rutgers and Temple.
OFFENSIVE LINE:
Dexter School (MA) tackle James Hendren is the top player in the state of Massachusetts according to . He had a strong relationship with the previous staff and it will be essential for the new coaches to build an equally strong bond with the four-star prospect. An offer may not be far off.
DEFENSIVE LINE:
Scranton Prep (PA) defensive end Noah Beh has also played host to the Eagles coaches recently and has received three offers over the last month from UConn, Pitt and Temple. Boston College may not be far behind for the highly-touted pass rusher.
LINEBACKERS:
DePaul Catholic (NJ) linebacker Justin Nelson received a visit from the coaches and is returning the favor this weekend. The three-star, 87-rated prospect also has interest from West Virginia, South Carolina, Michigan State and more.
DEFENSIVE BACK:
Cardinal O'Hara (PA) athlete Dashawn Darden could play a variety of positions, but for the sake of this exercise, we're placing him as a defensive back. He was awarded Philadelphia Catholic League Offensive Player of the Year as a dual-threat quarterback this season.

So nice to have BC instead of Rutgirls to talk about.

Our lack of a junior day really hurt this year's class.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom