2015 Commits in the ACC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2015 Commits in the ACC

Sure we had a nice class this year, but we should strive for much better. Not trying to knock this years class, but let's not make it out like this is the best we can do. I'm also not going to count on us coming out of the final dead period into the last 2 weeks of the cycle needing 10 commits. More often then not that's not going to work out as good as it did this year. In a sense we lucked out with schools backing off guys like Thomas, and Dowels. Ideally we should hope to only need to close the class with 3 or 4 kids, maybe a couple highly regarded prospects, and then a reach or 2 in case we miss, or flips happen.

The only reason I brought up BC is to say hey look if they could get enough kids interested to come, then why wouldn't be able to. And a good number of those kids were for NJ, and even some kids from GA. Who knows though maybe we just don't have the interest. That's why it would be ideal to do it during the basketball season (Duke game), where kids would have a little more incentive to drive the extra hour or 2.

Our lack of a junior day really hurt this year's class.

I think a better question to ask is: Would a junior day HELP classes in the future?

My answer would be I don't think it could hurt. So why not do it?

I think a better question to ask is: Would a junior day HELP classes in the future?

My answer would be I don't think it could hurt. So why not do it?
I'm just saying to trust in the staff, if they think we have more to offer doing it their way then I'm ok with it.

I'm just saying to trust in the staff, if they think we have more to offer doing it their way then I'm ok with it.

Why would you say that? As if this was a career for them, where they get paid to recruit and win football games? clearly aren't trying to get the best kids in here and be successful. If we had a junior day, (which half the time would most likely be a nightmare for all those kids travel wise) we would be getting nothing but 4 and 5 stars. In addition, I think the staff likes to try and establish a better relationship prior to a visit, clearly at this point we aren't going to wow the masses with facilities. Sell what ya got.

Agreed, but when Alabama starts having Jr. Days.....there must be something in it. Does give you a chance to make that early contact, on their own dime I believe, which tells you they have interest in your program. Not to mention we have something Bama will never have, Orange Basketball... which holding a Jr. Weekend at a premier game just might get parents and kids alike looking at our program. Again, isn't half the battle getting parents and kids to come here in the first place?

Alabama will host a small group of 2014 recruits this weekend as the Crimson Tide tries to put the finishing touches on what will likely be the nation's top-ranked recruiting class next week. Taking center stage in Tuscaloosa will be the Class of 2015 as Alabama hosts its first Junior Day weekend, welcoming dozens of junior prospects from around the state and nation for an introductory look at the Tide program.

Agreed, but when Alabama starts having Jr. Days...there must be something in it. Does give you a chance to make that early contact, on their own dime I believe, which tells you they have interest in your program. Not to mention we have something Bama will never have, Orange Basketball... which holding a Jr. Weekend at a premier game just might get parents and kids alike looking at our program. Again, isn't half the battle getting parents and kids to come here in the first place?
Yep, I guess the lack of having a JR Day really hurt Alabama's previous recruiting classes. Maybe they're desperate since they didn't win the NC three years running. ;-)

For obvious reasons, Alabama will have a far easier time signing up Jr Day attendees than SU will ever have. Imo, one reason that might be over looked is simple geography and where most of the elite prospects come from.

'Bama can pull from instate as well as GA, LA, MS, FL and TX. They're located in the heart of FB country. If HCSS and staff doesn't think having a Jr Day is an efficient recruiting tool...who are we to argue?

Yep, I guess the lack of having a JR Day really hurt Alabama's previous recruiting classes. Maybe they're desperate since they didn't win the NC three years running. ;-)

For obvious reasons, Alabama will have a far easier time signing up Jr Day attendees than SU will ever have. Imo, one reason that might be over looked is simple geography and where most of the elite prospects come from.

'Bama can pull from instate as well as GA, LA, MS, FL and TX. They're located in the heart of FB country. If HCSS and staff doesn't think having a Jr Day is an efficient recruiting tool...who are we to argue?

I don't think they called it a Jr Day last year but they brought in quite a few prospects, some that even committed like Moskal and Zaire, for the Spring Game. Those guys aren't local so I think it is incorrect to say that the staff can't get kids to visit on their own dime. I having been saying for awhile that I suspect that they will do the same again this year. I could go back and get you a longer list of who was at the Spring Game last year but I do have "real" work to do.;)

I don't think they called it a Jr Day last year but they brought in quite a few prospects, some that even committed like Moskal and Zaire, for the Spring Game. Those guys aren't local so I think it is incorrect to say that the staff can't get kids to visit on their own dime. I having been saying for awhile that I suspect that they will do the same again this year. I could go back and get you a longer list of who was at the Spring Game last year but I do have "real" work to do.;)
You have a "real" job? :eek:

Just saying that this may be trend to get at kids faster and sooner. There is a reason Bama is #1, they don't stick to status quo but adapt to stay there.

I would venture a guess that impending coaching staff changes combined with some last-minute work on the 2014 class contributes to the lack of a Jr Day this year. It's a reason that I, along with others, have called for SU to add staff in the recruiting area so White and Dial have help beyond the admin assistants.

No one is trying to say that a Jr Day is essential to getting top recruits, however getting HS kids on campus for a big-time hoops game and letting the coaches/players make a strong impression sure doesn't hurt. Even if this is about getting kids to camps, or building connections with strong HS programs in the 6-hr radius, it's not going to hurt.

I think some people discount the amount of HS kids who would convince their parent(s) to drive to Syracuse with a free SU-Duke ticket or SU-UNC ticket as incentive.

If we're going to "defer" to the staff's professional judgment on everything, then let's just shut this site down and be done with it. Those kinds of posts are just as worthless as the thread hijackers. They might do this coaching thing for a living but that doesn't mean that they get it right in every instance or that they alone could have useful ideas about how to do the job. It's not "rocket science" right?

Millhouse is right when he calls these guys glorified gym teachers. Smart is not the first adjective that comes to mind for most people when they're asked to describe a football coach. Why should we automatically assume that the people on this board know less than the coaches on every aspect of the program? There are many smart, successful people on these boards. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that their criticism could be valid?

Sure, the coaches may be employing a strategy here that's not entirely apparent to us but that doesn't mean it's an effective one or that there aren't more effective strategies that could be employed.

I would venture a guess that impending coaching staff changes combined with some last-minute work on the 2014 class contributes to the lack of a Jr Day this year. It's a reason that I, along with others, have called for SU to add staff in the recruiting area so White and Dial have help beyond the admin assistants.

No one is trying to say that a Jr Day is essential to getting top recruits, however getting HS kids on campus for a big-time hoops game and letting the coaches/players make a strong impression sure doesn't hurt. Even if this is about getting kids to camps, or building connections with strong HS programs in the 6-hr radius, it's not going to hurt.

I think some people discount the amount of HS kids who would convince their parent(s) to drive to Syracuse with a free SU-Duke ticket or SU-UNC ticket as incentive.

Huh? Did that stop Franklin from organizing one? He had a better excuse than our staff did.

At the least, I'd like an explanation from the coaches for why we don't do it.

i don't have the data to support whether it's worth it or not (ie the number of commits that result), but I would think at a minimum it would get kids talking about good experiences and cool environments and get parents hopped up on education details.

If a kid likes several of his ‘junior day’ experiences he’s already putting your school at the back of the list. And then they start making spring practice plans.

Having a junior day for the Spring game is hit or miss. You’re competing with other spring games so you’re not going to be as well attended as you could be. If they are saving a junior day for the spring then I personally hope it’s NOT the spring game. It can’t coincide with other team’s spring games.

Watch when the spring game schedules start coming out. BC, UConn, RU, Pitt, MD, UVA, Penn State, Ohio State, Illinios, Indiana, etc The southern schools have earlier spring schedules so they shouldn't be a worry.

There's plenty of evidence over time that the more you get these kids on your campus/the more interactions you have with them, the more likely they are to commit.

If we're going to "defer" to the staff's professional judgment on everything, then let's just shut this site down and be done with it. Those kinds of posts are just as worthless as the thread hijackers. They might do this coaching thing for a living but that doesn't mean that they get it right in every instance or that they alone could have useful ideas about how to do the job. It's not "rocket science" right?

Millhouse is right when he calls these guys glorified gym teachers. Smart is not the first adjective that comes to mind for most people when they're asked to describe a football coach. Why should we automatically assume that the people on this board know less than the coaches on every aspect of the program? There are many smart, successful people on these boards. Is it completely out of the realm of possibility that their criticism could be valid?

Sure, the coaches may be employing a strategy here that's not entirely apparent to us but that doesn't mean it's an effective one or that there aren't more effective strategies that could be employed.
So getting a specialized group of kids targeted and then getting them personal attention in order to give it a family atmosphere didn't work last year? Bringing 60 kids on campus doesn't really get them a good feel for our program, especially at an empty Lax/spring game.

So getting a specialized group of kids targeted and then getting them personal attention in order to give it a family atmosphere didn't work last year? Bringing 60 kids on campus doesn't really get them a good feel for our program, especially at an empty Lax/spring game.

Even Shafer said that if he could get the local kids, he'd rather have them over the non-locals. The recruiting is not as "specialized" as you think. You keep asking if the last class was good as if that should end the conversation. Yes it was good but there were lots of misses too that Shafer himself acknowledged---especially in our backyard. So it could have been better. Isn't that what we're trying to be? Better? The 6-hour radius kids are the ones you primarily target for junior days. We have a major advantage over our local competition in PSU, BC, Rutgers, and even Pitt in terms of gameday atmosphere and quality of program when it comes to b'ball. Why wouldn't you take advantage of that? What kind of advantage are we leveraging by inviting kids to the Spring game, with 5K in the stands and often conflicting with some other area program's Spring game? At least in b'ball season, we have a puncher's chance of getting the top recruits to show up for a Syracuse b'ball game over a PSU b'ball game. The Syracuse spring game vs. PSU's is not much of a competition.

If the staff's approach doesn't include doing junior days, and they get the recruits necessary for this program to compete in the ACC doing it by whatever means they value over a junior day, then what the F difference does it make?

Not for nothing, but there is a reason every other major CFB program in the country has them

Some guys here talk about last year's class like it was a top 10 class in the country. it was a decent class, but let's not get carried away-Recruiting can still be improved and getting more guys on campus can't hurt.

RMH44 said:
You keep mentioning the lack of a Jr Day and how disappointing it is. You said that even BC drew a bunch of players for their Jr Day...some were highly rated. It is my understanding (and I could be wrong) that Jr Day attendees are responsible for expenses...correct? So that means, for the most part, attendees probably live within driving distance or their parents have the financial ability to pay for airfare and overnight expenditures. If my assumptions are anywhere near close to being correct, I think having a well attended Jr Day at SU would be a very difficult thing to pull off. Historically, NYS isn't considered a HS football mecca and produces a relatively low number of D1 level players. So we'd have to hope that players from the surrounding states would make the 4-5 hour drive (each way) for an event. I'm not sure how feasible that is. Btw, where are these highly rated players that visited BC from?

Hosting Junior Days gives the staffs a first hand opportunity to evaluate players and discover prospects before other schools. It also helps market Syracuse to local kids while costing very little. It's truly a benefit to host these events. While it isn't free, it may be valuable to a lot of parents hoping their children get some good coaching other than from their Highschool coaches.

Hosting Junior Days gives the staffs a first hand opportunity to evaluate players and discover prospects before other schools. It also helps market Syracuse to local kids while costing very little. It's truly a benefit to host these events. While it isn't free, it may be valuable to a lot of parents hoping their children get some good coaching other than from their Highschool coaches.
I think you're confusing Jr Days with camps.

Some guys here talk about last year's class like it was a top 10 class in the country. it was a decent class, but let's not get carried away-Recruiting can still be improved and getting more guys on campus can't hurt.

I don't see anyone talking about last years class like it was a top ten class - it wasn't. It was however the best class on paper this program has had, top to bottom, in over ten years. And this staff has even had a full 2 year cycle yet to recruit a class.

I don't see anyone talking about last years class like it was a top ten class - it wasn't. It was however the best class on paper this program has had, top to bottom, in over ten years. And this staff has even had a full 2 year cycle yet to recruit a class.

And that was basically my initial point, that I would be happy when we didn't seem to be behind other schools in the conference in recruiting the current class. Recruiting is a constant and multiple classes are always being evaluated/recruited.

Due to some bad seasons and 4 head coaches in that span, our recruiting hasn't been that great the last 10 years. This class was better, but there's still room for improvement. Definitely think not taking greater advantage of the popularity of the basketball team is a mistake. Coming to see a Cuse game now is a great motivator for prospects and their families to get on campus and getting them on campus is half the battle IMO.

Maybe the staff doesn't want a kid's first exposure to SU to be when the weather is at it's worst. Despite the great basketball gameday experience, if the travel was in winter conditions, it was freezing and uncomfortable, they wouldn't be open to hearing what the coaches have to say. Whereas if they set something up for the spring, the first impression won't be of a miserable place.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom