2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 29 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

And collinsworth is disgusting, he just wants to keep the checks and travel budget flowing, complete NFL sinker like Nantz

I honestly think the holding call on Chung was the correct call. And I would have never known the rule, but the clock restarting was apparently correct per the rules.

I didn't personally see the hands to the face that Alsacs posted a clip of above, but yeah, it looks like Denver got away with one there. At any rate, I've seen far worse officiated games than last night's. I'm all for criticizing poor officiating, but the hyperbole that people go to is just ridiculous. This probably wasn't even close to the worst officiated game of the day, much less the worst since the Steelers and Seahawks Super Bowl.

For example, the Cardinals-49ers game was atrocious. Bucs-Indy was atrocious. Bills-Chiefs was bad (though it could have been alleviated if Rex had simply challenged the calls, which can't be said for the Bucs-Indy game).

Tampa forced two turnovers on the Colts game-sealing drive; one was overturned due to a phantom defensive holding call that was less egregious than Chung's, the other overturned because the officials simply decided that a guy fumbling before hitting the ground isn't actually a fumble anymore. And then Tampa got called for leaping over the line on a field goal attempt (literally said the penalty was for leaping lol). They probably could have called the guy for running into the holder on the field goal (he dove, missed the kick, and slid into the holder), but instead, they call him for simply jumping over the line without touching anybody, which you see all the damn time in games and it's just flat out not a penalty. There's no way to tell if it cost Tampa the game, but it certainly cost them the opportunity to win the game, and a win would have put them in the driver's seat for a playoff spot.

Last edited:
12295496_1012338315503294_3454277427820664980_n.png

Now that I've gotten the funny out of the way, it was another rough game for the refs. I honestly have no clue what is offensive/defensive PI or defensive holding anymore. Seems like it could be called on every play. But the wide receivers/tight ends seem to put their hands on the DBs to create space on every play as well. But I will admit that Brady and the Pats seemed to be on the short end of the reffing yesterday. More questionable calls went Denver's way than the normal way. And that's why I posted the photo/meme above. The Pats seem to get all the calls so the Pats fans are feeling today what their opponents fans have felt for a couple years. But enough about that.

Tough to see Gronk get hurt like that. Seems like his leg wasn't planted when it happened so maybe that will mean his injury wasn't as severe and he'll get back sooner than originally feared.

And what was up with Damaryius Thomas last night? He didn't seem all that interested until that one long pass he caught. I got the feeling he didn't want the new kid to look better than Manning. Or he had money on the game. Collinsworth all but called him out.

Whether or not you think the refs are biased against your team, the reality of the NFL is that there is a ton of parity. With parity comes an increased responsibility to officiate correctly and one or two bad calls can sway the game. That is what I've seen all season and it's BAD this year. NE/Den are evenly matched teams when playing in Mile High, in the snow, but who did the refs help out?... Answer, the team that won the game. KC/Buf were two evenly matched teams in Arrowhead. Who won? Answer, the team that got 2-3 calls go there way.

This is every game and either the NFL needs a complete overhaul of their officiating or coaches need to be given about 10 challenges and the ability to challenge almost any and everything.

The game isn't even fun to watch anymore. After every play I have to look at the upper left corner of the screen to see if a flag was thrown. Their is rampant inconsistency every game. One game the refs are all over the pick play, the next they don't care. One game the refs are all over blocking down field before the ball is thrown, the next they don't care. Holding, PI, and down the line. It's a clown show and I really hope the league realizes the only reason they are so popular is because of Fantasy because actual fans are getting turned off to the game due to the refs deciding 90% of evenly matched, hard fought football games.

If you watched that game with "Pats" fans and they didn't think Collinsworth was pro-Denver during that game your aren't being honest. He was awful. Go watch the Chung hold on the Branch sack it was hilarious how quiet he was. Yeah okay Pats fans were all on the same page. Your team congrats. The zebras made awful calls against NE. It was one loss and Pats have gotten breaks before but don't say it wasn't bad tonight.
I said everyone I watched it with, and that included pats fans were all in agreement, especially on one play where Collinsworth went back 2 plays to point out some stupid possible holding against the Brincos that wasn't even called. The pats fan next to me when I complained said "what announcer does that?" I don't generally get on here and make shyt up but whatever. Of course there was a collection of pats fans yelling at everything, the type if God told them something they'd argue with him. What's new

So no way the Broncos can go back to Manning now is there?
Not sure. Oswelder managed the game okay considering the weather. I didn't come across that impressed with Denver last night. They won and deserve the credit for that and that is all that matters.
Buffalo the previous week beat up Brady and were more dominant.
Obviously now that the Pats are down their entire offense minus Brady they aren't scary.
Cincinnati/Pittsburgh are more likely to win the AFC IMO unless Gronk only has a MCL sprain.
NE shut down D. Thomas which I never expected. Sanders did well but Denver's offense minus a couple OL was healthy. NE D did well I thought.
Manning wouldn't have won that game last night so you are probably right Osweiler is likely to stay the starter.
NE is toast if they don't get a bye with all their injuries.
Philly, @Hou, Ten, @NYJ, @Miami
They need to go 4-1 to clinch it. Their D is going to have to carry them. It will boil down to the Hou/NYJ game. Sweep them they will be no.1 seed split and or lose both they will be in trouble.

And what was up with Damaryius Thomas last night? He didn't seem all that interested until that one long pass he caught. I got the feeling he didn't want the new kid to look better than Manning. Or he had money on the game. Collinsworth all but called him out.

He did call him out and rightfully so. I've stated exactly that in this thread earlier this season when everybody was blaming Manning for everything. DT against the raiders and Browns looked like he tried to throw games w insane drops when Manning put the ball on the numbers. But as soon as people see the pics in the stat sheet and don't watch the game, they tend to blame Manning

Absolutely they can, and may need to IF he's healthy

I wouldn't take him out. As bad as Demaryius was on the one long catch he had, and the long catch Sanders made, there is no way Manning is completing that pass.
Plus I think the Broncos running game is better with him.

Not sure. Oswelder managed the game okay considering the weather. I didn't come across that impressed with Denver last night. They won and deserve the credit for that and that is all that matters.
Buffalo the previous week beat up Brady and were more dominant.
Obviously now that the Pats are down their entire offense minus Brady they aren't scary.
Cincinnati/Pittsburgh are more likely to win the AFC IMO unless Gronk only has a MCL sprain.
NE shut down D. Thomas which I never expected. Sanders did well but Denver's offense minus a couple OL was healthy. NE D did well I thought.
Manning wouldn't have won that game last night so you are probably right Osweiler is likely to stay the starter.
NE is toast if they don't get a bye with all their injuries.
Philly, @Hou, Ten, @NYJ, @Miami
They need to go 4-1 to clinch it. Their D is going to have to carry them. It will boil down to the Hou/NYJ game. Sweep them they will be no.1 seed split and or lose both they will be in trouble.

I think the Pats will be fine once they get healthy in a few weeks. If theres anyone who can win with no receivers, it's them. Playing Philly comes at the right time for them.

He did call him out and rightfully so. I've stated exactly that in this thread earlier this season when everybody was blaming Manning for everything. DT against the raiders and Browns looked like he tried to throw games w insane drops when Manning put the ball on the numbers. But as soon as people see the pics in the stat sheet and don't watch the game, they tend to blame Manning

He was pretty awful last night, and it wasn't because of the defense. He just didn't seem all that interested. Sounds like this is fairly common this year though from what you are saying.

He was pretty awful last night, and it wasn't because of the defense. He just didn't seem all that interested. Sounds like this is fairly common this year though from what you are saying.
Yeah the fan base is getting restless with him, especially after he just signed a 70 mil deal

Looks like Gronk hyper extended his knee. No ACL/MCL tear he is likely out 1-2 weeks.

Philly looks bad anyway. They said the bad weather actually saved his knee as ACL tear happen when you are cutting in the grass. He got nailed in the knee(not a dirty hit BTW) and it just bend back. It didn't look like an ACL live but Gronk's reaction was bad.

The Pats will be fine if they can get healthy, Gronk and Amendola should be back in the next couple weeks as well as Jamie Collins. Hopefully Hightower's injury isn't serious and he will be back in a couple weeks. Edelman should be back in time for playoffs to start. They might lose a couple games on the way to the playoffs but i'll take that as long as they're healthy going in.

Looks like Gronk hyper extended his knee. No ACL/MCL tear he is likely out 1-2 weeks.

Philly looks bad anyway. They said the bad weather actually saved his knee as ACL tear happen when you are cutting in the grass. He got nailed in the knee(not a dirty hit BTW) and it just bend back. It didn't look like an ACL live but Gronk's reaction was bad.

I thought he was actually in the air when the hit happened. That or the slippery conditions probably did save the rest of his season.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2015/12/...triots-game/?cid=facebook_98.5_The_Sports_Hub

I am starting to come over to the dark side Orangeman Curious how the NFL makes this move. If an officiating crew does not do their job you don't start picking and choosing their placement based on game time/importance. This is not a penalty for the officials, but for the teams involved.

Part of my thesis is that any massive fraud could be well-contained if only a handful of people knew about it.

In this case, you'd ask HOW could the NFL perpetrate a fraud through the officials when there are so many of them, etc etc.

But what if, out of 16 crews, there were four bad-apple crews who were on the payroll and understood their role and were paid 10x the base amount?

I started to look into this earlier this season, going back to what crews worked what games and to see if there were patterns...SURPRISE, the data sets I was using started to eliminated the particular crews that worked which games.

When I read that the league was going to start to "mix up crews" earlier this week, I immediately thought back to this and believe that, again, the insiders are catching on, coaches and players who's livelihoods are at stake on wins/losses are onto the patterns and were calling BS. THEY don't see their wealth increase from $350m to $600m...they have to make as much of those checks now as possible because the league is tough, there is parity, the contracts aren't guaranteed largely and they get hurt a lot.

So I'm certain that the league is panicking and mixing up crews because they're being called on this.

For Patriots fans, after years of benefiting from the officials (I argue), I said before this season that the tide was going to turn because the populace, who feeds the beast through ticket/advertising sales, was onto the discretionary stuff.

We'll see how it plays out. I'm pretty confident I'm right...I doubt I'll get some whistle-blower pay-out :)

longislandcuse said:
https://twitter.com/joebuscaglia Joe Buscaglia ‏@JoeBuscaglia 8m8 minutes ago In other news, Nickell Robey was told by the NFL that his pass interference penalty versus Kansas City shouldn't have been called. #Bills

That was a back-breaker

The NFL is getting sensitive for a reason IMO