2015 NFL season general discussion thread | Page 31 | Syracusefan.com

2015 NFL season general discussion thread

The team is severely undisciplined, a chronic symptom of Rex Ryan teams. It's cost them games this year.

I agree that this team is severely undisciplined, but I'm not sure it's a symptom of Rex Ryan teams. His Jets teams were about average in terms of penalties throughout his career there. It's probably worth pointing out that Buffalo was also one of the most penalized teams in the league the last two years as well. It seems to be more of an issue with the Bills players than the coach IMO.

I didn't see any of the Bills-Eagles game how bad was the officiating? I see Buffalo got a lot of penalties. I saw the highlights but they didn't show anything major. Buffalo is a piece or two away from being a top team.

How is the Buffalo cap situation? They are lucky their QB is cheap they can spend more elsewhere.

I'm gonna be honest; I'm not really all that upset about the loss. It was just kind of a blah game. Defense did fine. Offense did fine. The muffed punt, penalties, and Tyrod simply not really having the mental part of the game yet did Buffalo in. I think I'd rather keep the status quo and go into next season with roughly the same staff/front office in place and just try to improve the right side of the offensive line through the draft/free agency.

Yah I actually turned it off when I saw Dalton get hurt. That game was somehow as or more important than our own game.

I agree that this team is severely undisciplined, but I'm not sure it's a symptom of Rex Ryan teams. His Jets teams were about average in terms of penalties throughout his career there. It's probably worth pointing out that Buffalo was also one of the most penalized teams in the league the last two years as well. It seems to be more of an issue with the Bills players than the coach IMO.

Facts suck sometimes.

I didn't see any of the Bills-Eagles game how bad was the officiating? I see Buffalo got a lot of penalties. I saw the highlights but they didn't show anything major. Buffalo is a piece or two away from being a top team.

How is the Buffalo cap situation? They are lucky their QB is cheap they can spend more elsewhere.

The officiating was predictably bad but who cares anymore. The ratio was 3:1, it probably should have been 2:1. There were 5 off-sides by the Bills D-line, which I don't know is the coaches' fault...1-2 of them were of the he-said/she-said variety but taking those out, and it's a 2:1 ratio, which might be appropriate.

Bills' fans would note the inconsistencies around big, controversial calls/non-calls again, but like I've said, they're going to have be 7 points better than bigger markets to win:

1) Against the Patriots the officials misrule the sideline, last-gasp play chance gone (low probability, but "easier" than the Packers a week later. This week they "get it right" along the sideline and stop the clock, when they'd ruled it wrong initially, put the time back on the clock, and the Eagles get a FG at the half...they won by 3.

2) Bills lose a game on a phantom PI penalty against the Jags earlier in the year on a final drive...this game on a critical last drive there's an embarrassing throw behind Sammy Watkins on a third down, and you're cursing Watkins and the QB. But then they show the replay, and the defender is battling Sammy all the way down the sideline, 12-15 yards off the line. Surely a Defensive Holding penalty will come in to keep the drive alive, as it has against the Bills so often? No. The play right in front of the side-judge is uncalled. I guess Bumpin's Racin'

3) Game-changing play on 3rd Down and 3 for the decisive drive for the Eagles. Clear pick play to free TE Ertz...the WR collides intentionally with the player covering him. Sure, Bills player should have made a tackle to save it for an 11 yard gain, misses and goes for 40...but it's gotta be coming back right? I mean the ANNOUNCERS called it out, and they are not the highly-paid professionals on the field, each with their own quadrant to monitor, who've been told to crack down on the "pick play" since Day 1 this season...so it's coming back right? 3rd and 13?

Nope. I've seen the rhetoric on the Eagles sites, they could have called more Holding on the Bills (they called enough) and the Eagles D-Line played well, but this is just the stuff that drives you crazy as a fan, when it NEVER goes your way.

Both plays 2 & 3 referenced above are quintessential calls in critical situations that we've had called on us, but it just doesn't go the Bills way, and it hasn't regardless of players or coaches.

Whatever, on to next year, they need to replace Roman, Tyrod needs to mature and they need to stay healthy early next year.

Should throw the next couple so they get the weak schedule in the group.

Yah I actually turned it off when I saw Dalton get hurt. That game was somehow as or more important than our own game.

Facts suck sometimes.
Pittsburgh and NY Jets still have 2 lose able the games each though.

I don't think the Bills will get in now but if the Steelers don't beat Denver they could lose at Baltimore. Jets have Cowboys-Pats-Bills they won't win all those game.

I do think Rex Ryan has hurt the team though. He is good energy when things go right but it doesn't sustain. I thought the week of the Pats game on MNF he was perfect. Kept quiet and the team focused and they played well. If he was more quiet sometimes rather trying to win the press conference each week it would help him. Rex is going to be good on TV when he is fired from Buffalo eventually.

They deserved most of them and they came at the worst times. A bunch of 3rd and long offsides (4 exactly) and Richie Incognito, who's been awesome all year, had about 3 holding penalties.

However, instead of 3rd and 16 at their own 45, the Eagles committed a blatant illegal pick play that the announcers called immediately yet somehow the refs missed which led to a 30 yard gain to set up the winning field goal with 3 minutes and change left. It was so blatant that I wasn't even sweating the big play because I thought it was coming back...silly me.

The officiating was predictably bad but who cares anymore. The ratio was 3:1, it probably should have been 2:1. There were 5 off-sides by the Bills D-line, which I don't know is the coaches' fault...1-2 of them were of the he-said/she-said variety but taking those out, and it's a 2:1 ratio, which might be appropriate.

Bills' fans would note the inconsistencies around big, controversial calls/non-calls again, but like I've said, they're going to have be 7 points better than bigger markets to win:

1) Against the Patriots the officials misrule the sideline, last-gasp play chance gone (low probability, but "easier" than the Packers a week later. This week they "get it right" along the sideline and stop the clock, when they'd ruled it wrong initially, put the time back on the clock, and the Eagles get a FG at the half...they won by 3.

2) Bills lose a game on a phantom PI penalty against the Jags earlier in the year on a final drive...this game on a critical last drive there's an embarrassing throw behind Sammy Watkins on a third down, and you're cursing Watkins and the QB. But then they show the replay, and the defender is battling Sammy all the way down the sideline, 12-15 yards off the line. Surely a Defensive Holding penalty will come in to keep the drive alive, as it has against the Bills so often? No. The play right in front of the side-judge is uncalled. I guess Bumpin's Racin'

3) Game-changing play on 3rd Down and 3 for the decisive drive for the Eagles. Clear pick play to free TE Ertz...the WR collides intentionally with the player covering him. Sure, Bills player should have made a tackle to save it for an 11 yard gain, misses and goes for 40...but it's gotta be coming back right? I mean the ANNOUNCERS called it out, and they are not the highly-paid professionals on the field, each with their own quadrant to monitor, who've been told to crack down on the "pick play" since Day 1 this season...so it's coming back right? 3rd and 13?

Nope. I've seen the rhetoric on the Eagles sites, they could have called more Holding on the Bills (they called enough) and the Eagles D-Line played well, but this is just the stuff that drives you crazy as a fan, when it NEVER goes your way.

Both plays 2 & 3 referenced above are quintessential calls in critical situations that we've had called on us, but it just doesn't go the Bills way, and it hasn't regardless of players or coaches.

Whatever, on to next year, they need to replace Roman, Tyrod needs to mature and they need to stay healthy early next year.

Should throw the next couple so they get the weak schedule in the group.
I don't mind Roman and we "should" be good next year but that really doesn't mean anything with Buffalo.

Taylor is capable of being a franchise QB and along with Watkins and McCoy makes our core. I'd like to see a bigger WR brought in to play alongside Sammy and move Woods/Hogan down the 3rd/4th WRs. I think we'll spend on the offensive line to re-sign Incognito/Glenn and upgrade the right side. Clay is a solid tight end.

I think we'll see a big shake up on defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kyle and Mario either cut or traded to bring in players that fit Rex's scheme. Our linebackers are awful and that, along with corners, are the lynchpins of Rex's defense. Re-sign Gilmore and then revamp the linebacker corps.

For those who want to drive themselves crazy...

Buffalo wins out.

Jets lose to NE or Dallas.

Oakland loses 1 out of 3.

Pitt loses to Denver and one of Balt/Cle.

Andddddd we're in the playoffs.

I don't mind Roman and we "should" be good next year but that really doesn't mean anything with Buffalo.

Taylor is capable of being a franchise QB and along with Watkins and McCoy makes our core. I'd like to see a bigger WR brought in to play alongside Sammy and move Woods/Hogan down the 3rd/4th WRs. I think we'll spend on the offensive line to re-sign Incognito/Glenn and upgrade the right side. Clay is a solid tight end.

I think we'll see a big shake up on defense. I wouldn't be surprised to see both Kyle and Mario either cut or traded to bring in players that fit Rex's scheme. Our linebackers are awful and that, along with corners, are the lynchpins of Rex's defense. Re-sign Gilmore and then revamp the linebacker corps.

I think Mario is a stonecold lock to be cut this offseason. Cutting him makes way too much sense.

I think Mario is a stonecold lock to be cut this offseason. Cutting him makes way too much sense.
He clearly isn't buying in nor does he fit Rex's defense.

I wonder if we go after Wilkerson? Is he a FA?

Regardless, we need Linebackers bad. I expect us to draft one or two high, like first 2 rounds and then sign 1 or 2 in FA.

On offense, I don't think we need much. Draft a QB in the 3-5th round and then spend the rest of our draft on defense. I'd like us to sign a big WR and a stud Offensive Lineman for the right side but those should be vet signings, we have enough youth on the line that should be pushed to back up roles (Miller/Henderson).

He clearly isn't buying in nor does he fit Rex's defense.

I wonder if we go after Wilkerson? Is he a FA?

Regardless, we need Linebackers bad. I expect us to draft one or two high, like first 2 rounds and then sign 1 or 2 in FA.

On offense, I don't think we need much. Draft a QB in the 3-5th round and then spend the rest of our draft on defense. I'd like us to sign a big WR and a stud Offensive Lineman for the right side but those should be vet signings, we have enough youth on the line that should be pushed to back up roles (Miller/Henderson).

Agreed. The only difference being that if someone like Hackenburg falls to the 2nd, I think it's worth it to take him there and see if you happen to strike gold. Having said that, someone on the radio the other day (I want to say Phil Savage) said that he thinks Houston will make sure that they get Hackenburg due to the O'Brien/Hackenburg connection, but I've seen him falling to the 2nd in some mocks. It looks like there's probably 4 1st-2nd round QBs that I think Buffalo should take if they fall to the 2nd. Otherwise, I agree with taking one in the 3rd-5th.

I would agree, but I think there's too much dead money if you cut him this year. Cut him next year and that number decreases significantly (think I heard $7M this year vs. $1M next).

2 years ago Denver was the better team. They led like 24-0 at halftme at NE. NE came back and won in OT. I never thought NE was as good as Denver and that the weather gave them the advantage to equalize the game.

In the AFC title game in Denver when I saw the weather was sunny and mid 50's I knew NE was screwed. Denver won the game because they were the better team.

This year the Pats were killed by injuries in that game no Edelman/Amendola/Collins. Hightower got hurt and their run D wasn't good. Denver came back and won in OT. However I never thought Denver was better than NE just like 2 years ago I never thought NE was better than Denver even though they came back and won their game at home in OT.

If the Pats-Broncos play in the playoffs and Amendola/Edelman/Collins/Hightower play I have no doubts barring unforeseen events like special teams TD/def TDs that NE would beat Denver this year. I think the NE roster is better with the guys injured being back. I don't know the major injuries Denver has outside of Ward and Manning but I am sure you do. I don't think they are as drastic as NE's right now.

You should feel optimistic you are a fan like me. I am just telling you honestly I think Pittsburgh is the best team in the AFC right now because right now they are healthier and in more of a groove than anybody.
Ah yes, the AFC title game. I was headed down to my seats in the south stands with cold ones in hand, looking up at the sun thinking how there can't be another city that has winters with better weather. And how I didn't need my light jacket.

Anyways, I won't waste time with what I think my team can do, because of course I think they can beat anyone, any game. And I love to play the teams who are supposed to be the best and I like playing them without injuries also. And that goes for SU too. But I was curious, who on pats d could start on broncos d?

It's funny, I don't think the Philly loss really changed anything. KC was never losing 2 out of 3 so scratch that option.

Pitt could only lose one if it was against Cinci. Since they didn't they needed to lose to Denver and 1 out of Balt/Cle anyway. Losing to Philly caused Buf to need the Jets to lose to NE or Dallas and Oakland to lose one more, both of which I think will happen.

They deserved most of them and they came at the worst times. A bunch of 3rd and long offsides (4 exactly) and Richie Incognito, who's been awesome all year, had about 3 holding penalties.

However, instead of 3rd and 16 at their own 45, the Eagles committed a blatant illegal pick play that the announcers called immediately yet somehow the refs missed which led to a 30 yard gain to set up the winning field goal with 3 minutes and change left. It was so blatant that I wasn't even sweating the big play because I thought it was coming back...silly me.

I went to the game yesterday. The Bills' line on both sides of the ball committed numerous false start and neutral zone infractions. Every one of them was legit. Weird because I haven't seen Bradford draw anybody offside all year long. The Bills were just very undisciplined. From watching the Bills in person the two major weaknesses that I saw besides the discipline issue was a weak offensive line and an inaccurate QB. The Bills have several good players but they need to address these two areas if they want to be a playoff team.

With the fact NE controls its own destiny for HFA I am now glad NE lost to Philly. That loss to Philly could knock the NYG out.

Philly wins 2 of their last 3 they win the NFC East. Giants have an insane schedule Carolina, @Minnesota, Philly.

I would agree, but I think there's too much dead money if you cut him this year. Cut him next year and that number decreases significantly (think I heard $7M this year vs. $1M next).

All that matters is if he's worth $12m cause the cap hit I've heard is $19 if he stays. Considering he just gave them replacement level play I'd say that's an emphatic no and $7m dead is the least bad option. G/L in future endeavors.

I went to the game yesterday. The Bills' line on both sides of the ball committed numerous false start and neutral zone infractions. Every one of them was legit. Weird because I haven't seen Bradford draw anybody offside all year long. The Bills were just very undisciplined. From watching the Bills in person the two major weaknesses that I saw besides the discipline issue was a weak offensive line and an inaccurate QB. The Bills have several good players but they need to address these two areas if they want to be a playoff team.

Man I don't know - every fan base thinks their OL stinks. The Bills haven't been grading out too badly this year. Sunday was maybe their worst game. Taylor has been ok too, he needs to get a clue in the 2minute drill.

All that matters is if he's worth $12m cause the cap hit I've heard is $19 if he stays. Considering he just gave them replacement level play I'd say that's an emphatic no and $7m dead is the least bad option. G/L in future endeavors.

Man I don't know - every fan base thinks their OL stinks. The Bills haven't been grading out too badly this year. Sunday was maybe their worst game. Taylor has been ok too, he needs to get a clue in the 2minute drill.
I think Taylor can absolutely lead us to the playoffs and further. That being said, I'm all for bringing in competition.

The Offensive Line is solid. Not great, but decent. They had a bad game on Sunday mainly because Incognito, who's graded out as one of the best linemen in the NFL struggled for some reason. The left side of the line is legit Glenn/Incognito/Wood. The right side needs to be replaced with Miller, Urbik and Henderson moving to back up roles. That would take this line from solid to very above average.

The 2-minute drill is all Roman

They don't even have 2 plays called when they trot out there, complete embarrassment

The bigger question: they don't utilize the middle of the field except for deep seam passes...I'm concerned that Tyrod's height is a major limiting factor? If it's not, it's all Roman and another reason he needs to go

The 2-minute drill is all Roman

They don't even have 2 plays called when they trot out there, complete embarrassment

The bigger question: they don't utilize the middle of the field except for deep seam passes...I'm concerned that Tyrod's height is a major limiting factor? If it's not, it's all Roman and another reason he needs to go
The 2 minute drills are embarrassing. Take wayyyy too long to do anything.

The middle of the field issue in a concern. All the throws are deep or outs with Clay up the seam on occasion. In Houston he did have some throws up the middle that were nice, unfortunately Woods dropped one and Clay dropped the other. FWIW, Watkins seems to alligator arm some catches in the middle of the field too so I'm not sure that's all on Taylor. I like Taylor's skillset and leadership a lot and am hoping progressions and being able to slow down in the middle of the field is what comes next because for his part, the middle of the field may be too fast for him right now until he gets some more experience.

I think Taylor can absolutely lead us to the playoffs and further. That being said, I'm all for bringing in competition.

The Offensive Line is solid. Not great, but decent. They had a bad game on Sunday mainly because Incognito, who's graded out as one of the best linemen in the NFL struggled for some reason. The left side of the line is legit Glenn/Incognito/Wood. The right side needs to be replaced with Miller, Urbik and Henderson moving to back up roles. That would take this line from solid to very above average.

Do you think Miller shows any potential at all? I thought he was a sleeper pick and the early reports on him were really positive - but that was just training camp.

I really misread the Bills draft this year. I wasn't happy at all about the Ron Darby pick and wasn't that excited about Karlos Williams and they have been great. I hope Williams can stay healthy though. I was excited about John Miller and Nick O'Leary and they haven't done much.

I think the Ryan's are overrated defensive coaches. I've watched Rob screw up my team for the past 3 years. Both Rex and Rob ignore their players strengths and instead make their players play defense how they want to, instead of playing defense to their players strengths. It's why Buffalo, like the Jets last year can't rush the passer, and why the Saints defense stunk for the last three years. They refuse to make adjustments, and then the players get the blame when they don't produce. The Saints have been through about 30 defensive starters in the past 3 years and no matter who plays it is the same result. After a while it's on the coaches. They are incapable of making adjustments, and frankly I think the league has figured out their scheme.

The Eagle DL is pretty good but they toyed with the Bill OL. Fletcher Cox terrorized Incognito.

With the fact NE controls its own destiny for HFA I am now glad NE lost to Philly. That loss to Philly could knock the NYG out.

Philly wins 2 of their last 3 they win the NFC East. Giants have an insane schedule Carolina, @Minnesota, Philly.

You're still worried about the NYG? Seriously?

Just want to give any Bills fans out there a heads up, this weeks game (tomorrow) vs Washington won't be broadcast in Syracuse. Will need to go to a bar or find a friend with the SUNDAY TICKET on DIRECTV to watch it. (CBS originally had the game this week vs Washington but it got moved to FOX so back to back weeks on FOX and Giants play at the same time)

No Bills games in the Cuse