2016 Mets | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

2016 Mets

Fcuk! That was a run if it hadn't gone straight to mad bum. God damn it. I have a bad feeling about familia here... He's terrible in non-save situations.

Was syndergaard on a count? Seems like he was still throwing well and there is no tomorrow? Last two innings have been shaky at best. Don't get it..

OrangeFoo said:
Fcuk! That was a run if it hadn't gone straight to mad bum. God damn it. I have a bad feeling about familia here... He's terrible in non-save situations.

Good call

Well good season. Familia has been playing with fire all year and got burnt. Mets need a new closer next year... He's proven he can't pitch in October.

Disappointed but no spear in my chest. Pressure comes when you think you have the best team. Now you have to win it. That was not the case this year.

This Mets team didn't have the stuff to go all the way. Too many injured guys. Too many guys from Vegas. Hopefully everybody can get healthy, (probably not Wright), and we can come back stronger next year.

Familia had a ton of saves but always seemed a little shaky to me and obviously didn't have command of his pitches tonight. The bullpen is always a box of chocolates. We've never had a lights out closer. The same thing might have happened if Collins had over-extended Syndergaard. we'll never know.

Cespedes faded down the stretch. Hopefully we keep Reyes and can have a more balanced, opportunistic offense next year. And a better on base percentage and batting average with runners in scoring position. I still want to see a rotation someday of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz.

But we were doing it with mirrors down the stretch this year.

What a joke, never should have taken Thor out, these guys think too much
Agreed... They should have let him go one more so reed could come in in the 9th. The reality is familia has been terrible in non-save situations... Collins should have never put him in.

Disappointed but no spear in my chest. Pressure comes when you think you have the best team. Now you have to win it. That was not the case this year.

This Mets team didn't have the stuff to go all the way. Too many injured guys. Too many guys from Vegas. Hopefully everybody can get healthy, (probably not Wright), and we can come back stronger next year.

Familia had a ton of saves but always seemed a little shaky to me and obviously didn't have command of his pitches tonight. The bullpen is always a box of chocolates. We've never had a lights out closer. The same thing might have happened if Collins had over-extended Syndergaard. we'll never know.

Cespedes faded down the stretch. Hopefully we keep Reyes and can have a more balanced, opportunistic offense next year. And a better on base percentage and batting average with runners in scoring position. I still want to see a rotation someday of Harvey, Wheeler, DeGrom, Syndergaard and Matz.

But we were doing it with mirrors down the stretch this year.
They need to resign Cespedes but he needs to tighten up his strike zone in October. Good pitchers know how to exploit him and in the playoffs you face good pitchers. I don't have the energy to do a full post mortem but I suspect next years team will look a lot like this one. Don't see much in the way of off season additions.

Pretty much... I could see it coming a mile away, not sure why Collins couldn't. This is what makes him such a great player manager but a pisss poor game manager. He seems to go by a formula rather than what the game is telling him. His formula is starter through 7 and Reed in 8th and Familia in the 9th so that's what he did. But when you are facing a guy who doesn't give up runs in the post season you need to alter the formula. Thor should have stayed in for the 8th and Reed the 9th. Familia has been terrible in non-save situations so he shouldn't have been in one. But Collins predetermined he wasn't going to repeat the Harvey situation or the Britton situation. Love the guy but mets need a better tactician.

Reed got screwed. He struck Belt out twice in that at bat.

Yes, I remember those pitches well. Given our anemic offense, probably no sense complaining about balls and strikes, but that was a surprisingly inconsistent strike zone that seemed to be called in San Francisco's favor all night. Can't remember Granderson ever getting called strikes on some of those high pitches, yet when Syndergaard and Reed made them they were balls. Frustrating.

I don't get it, make him work, up his pitch count to get to the awful sf bullpen.

I didn't make a big deal of that at the time, but that lost us the game in the first three innings. In particular, awful job by Reyes (though there's blame to go around).

Oh well, it's fair, I guess. This team wasn't good enough, not with all the injured guys. Going to be a very interesting off-season for the second year in a row. Bruce? Cespedes (I'll get in a parting shot - I'm looking forward to having a right fielder who doesn't jog after a ball in the gap in the 9th inning)? Reyes/Wright? Can we get a catcher? Have they ruined Conforto? Will they shake up the coaching staff in such a way that we might see a hit-and-run at any point next summer?

so the Balt. coach gets ripped for not using his closer and losing the Mets coach gets ripped for using his closer and losing. This was all about bad hitting decision early. 10 more pitches and SF is forced to change the pitcher an inning earlier.. 1 bad pitch doesnt make it a bad decision.

Thor doesnt get wild one inning and he makes it one more too. that hurt more than using your closer does.

Tough loss but yes, this team wasn't going to go much farther, so I can live with it.

Lots of big decisions this off season.

This franchise is at a crossroads.

so the Balt. coach gets ripped for not using his closer and losing the Mets coach gets ripped for using his closer and losing. This was all about bad hitting decision early. 10 more pitches and SF is forced to change the pitcher an inning earlier.. 1 bad pitch doesnt make it a bad decision.

Thor doesnt get wild one inning and he makes it one more too. that hurt more than using your closer does.

Managers can't win. It's easy to look at a bad result and announce that if the manager had made a different decision, things would have worked out better. The manager doesn't know that when he has to make the decision.

Not that there is a right or wrong answer here, but the difference here is Britton is 100x better than Familia, especially when it's Familia in a non-save situation and Thor still was pitching okay at the end of 7.

But you're right. Better decisions earlier could have forced Bumgarner into more pitches and had him out earlier. Many variables.

If thor pitches 8 and them Reed comes in and blows it in the 9th he still gets crucified and thats almost what happened in the 8th.

They needed to get that run home earlier and didnt get it done..

My prescription:
I'm OK if they keep Collins, but if so they need to get him the best bench coach possible.
Get rid of Teufel, he seemingly caused a baserunning error a week
need a new hitting coach and a new approach at the plate
Warthen needs to teach the young pitchers to start pitching to contact and to fall out of love with the strikeout. Pitch counts are too high too soon across the board.
Reed to closer
Familia to setup, or dangle as trade bait to resolve 3B or C situations
re-sign Yo; let Bruce go unless Yo moves on
re-sign Walker
We've got to assume that Wright is finished as an every day 3B. Is Wilmer the heir apparent?
I kind of like him as a super sub, getting tons of ABs by playing all 4 infield positions.
I'd like to see them keep Rivera as the starting catcher, he works so well with the pitchers. TDA profiles better as a backup, unless he finds his swing.

My prescription:
I'm OK if they keep Collins, but if so they need to get him the best bench coach possible.
Warthen needs to teach the young pitchers to start pitching to contact and to fall out of love with the strikeout. Pitch counts are too high too soon across the board.
Reed to closer
re-sign Walker
We've got to assume that Wright is finished as an every day 3B. Is Wilmer the heir apparent?
I kind of like him as a super sub, getting tons of ABs by playing all 4 infield positions.
I'd like to see them keep Rivera as the starting catcher, he works so well with the pitchers. TDA profiles better as a backup, unless he finds his swing.

I like most of that. You don't dump a closer with 94 saves in two years. There aren't too many of those. Warthen supposedly was big on protecting his pitchers by not using them too much. Look what happened. We definitely need a new hitting coach. The formula is on base percentage + home runs, not just home runs. And our batting average with runners in scoring position sucked, too.

Yes, I remember those pitches well. Given our anemic offense, probably no sense complaining about balls and strikes, but that was a surprisingly inconsistent strike zone that seemed to be called in San Francisco's favor all night. Can't remember Granderson ever getting called strikes on some of those high pitches, yet when Syndergaard and Reed made them they were balls. Frustrating.

I didn't make a big deal of that at the time, but that lost us the game in the first three innings. In particular, awful job by Reyes (though there's blame to go around).

Oh well, it's fair, I guess. This team wasn't good enough, not with all the injured guys. Going to be a very interesting off-season for the second year in a row. Bruce? Cespedes (I'll get in a parting shot - I'm looking forward to having a right fielder who doesn't jog after a ball in the gap in the 9th inning)? Reyes/Wright? Can we get a catcher? Have they ruined Conforto? Will they shake up the coaching staff in such a way that we might see a hit-and-run at any point next summer?

It really did, If a couple guys just worked his pitch count a little, you are talking about getting an inning or two getting a crack at a really bad sf bullpen. I thought the Mets had some horrible abs early on.

Tough loss but yes, this team wasn't going to go much farther, so I can live with it.

Lots of big decisions this off season.

This franchise is at a crossroads.

We have to bring back Cespedes, if we don't we are in major trouble. I would re-sign Walker, and try to upgrade at Catcher, I have given up on Darnaud.

My prescription:
Reed to closer
re-sign Walker

I agree with most of this, Teufel had a brutal year, he has to go. You don't just give up on Familia, the guy he been really good, he just has to get over his postseason issues. Bruce isn't going anywhere, he has a year left on his deal, and I like having a guy like that on the walk year of his contract, he has a lot to prove. You have to look at Wright as a bench player at best at this point, have to build like he won't be there, I would re-sign Walker. I think we have to upgrade at Catcher, I just don't believe in Darnaud at all. I feel good going into next year, its going to be all about keeping the pitchers healthy, if we do, I think we are capable of having a year like the Cubs did this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom