2020 Transfer Thread | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

I don't know if Sowers to Duke makes the most sense, only because they will have Dyson Williams, #1 incoming recruit Brennan O'Neill and the return of Joe Robertson. Thats a pretty good attack already and I don't think any of them could really play midfield. Maybe you throw all that stuff out if its Sowers but it seems like you'd make a really good player unhappy.

Hope I’m wrong

Hearing Sowers is down to Duke, UNC and Maryland and we are out - hope the source is wrong ...
IMG_8346.gif

Hope I’m wrong

Hearing Sowers is down to Duke, UNC and Maryland and we are out - hope the source is wrong ...

Certainly possible, would be a crowded attack unit at both schools if he went there but I could see it.

I don't know if Sowers to Duke makes the most sense, only because they will have Dyson Williams, #1 incoming recruit Brennan O'Neill and the return of Joe Robertson. Thats a pretty good attack already and I don't think any of them could really play midfield. Maybe you throw all that stuff out if its Sowers but it seems like you'd make a really good player unhappy.

Ya I gotta be honest, assuming everyone comes back and all recruits arrive both Duke and Maryland are pretty stocked at the attack position. Maryland could move some guys to midfield but I don't think Duke really has that luxury. I can kinda see him goign to either, UNC makes absolutely no sense.

Ya I gotta be honest, assuming everyone comes back and all recruits arrive both Duke and Maryland are pretty stocked at the attack position. Maryland could move some guys to midfield but I don't think Duke really has that luxury. I can kinda see him goign to either, UNC makes absolutely no sense.

Interesting list for sure. I think Maryland makes the most sense to honest, he’d have Wisnuskas as a finisher and if Bernhardt comes back another ball carrier. They still have a ton of question marks but in terms of fit on the attack, I think it makes sense. Telling Maltz to go to the bench doesn’t seem like a big deal. If Bernhardt doesn’t come back (he might go for football, but there might not be football so who knows), I don’t know how appealing the move is, but Tillman seems to be able to have a magic touch with recruiting so maybe it doesn’t matter.

I feel like on paper UNC is really intriguing but I agree with Jeremy, it just doesn’t seem like Gray and Sowers would be a good match. But if they bring back their entire first midfield and another stacked recruiting class, he might not really be thinking about that.

Obviously I think SU would be a really good fit for Sowers, hope he reconsiders.

On Bertrand, Xanders followed up and said there is a 75% chance he stays at Merrimack from what people are hearing. That 25% I believe if what I am hearing is true is if a certain local program reaches out. One guess who.

On Bertrand, Xanders followed up and said there is a 75% chance he stays at Merrimack from what people are hearing. That 25% I believe if what I am hearing is true is if a certain local program reaches out. One guess who.

I don’t know, I spent 3 mins watching highlights found in this article and I came away very impressed. If Sowers doesn’t pan out and other teams are loading up, I would definitely take a flyer on him. He’s a lefty (so are Rhefuss and Hiltz) so that needs to be factored in but his size is something the current attack unit doesn’t have.

I don’t know, I spent 3 mins watching highlights found in this article and I came away very impressed. If Sowers doesn’t pan out and other teams are loading up, I would definitely take a flyer on him. He’s a lefty (so are Rhefuss and Hiltz) so that needs to be factored in but his size is something the current attack unit doesn’t have.

Assuming Sowers goes elsewhere (which seems likely) I would definitely take a run at Bertrand if I was Desko and SU. Would be a nice one year gap and allow us to bring Hiltz along at a reasonable pace although Hiltz should still see plenty of time regardless.

Assuming Sowers goes elsewhere (which seems likely) I would definitely take a run at Bertrand if I was Desko and SU. Would be a nice one year gap and allow us to bring Hiltz along at a reasonable pace although Hiltz should still see plenty of time regardless.
Id be calling Holden and Yorke

I like this kids tape. He's massive, has a rocket of a shot, and seems to be able to score in tight spaces and/or where there isn't any angle. I say take a chance on him-- but him being a lefty how would that work if Rehfuss comes back and with Hiltz in line to start day dot? How many years would we have him for?

I like this kids tape. He's massive, has a rocket of a shot, and seems to be able to score in tight spaces and/or where there isn't any angle. I say take a chance on him-- but him being a lefty how would that work if Rehfuss comes back and with Hiltz in line to start day dot? How many years would we have him for?

He's a grad transfer, just 1 year.

Id be calling Holden and Yorke

Will be interesting to see who SU reaches out to assuming we come up short in the Sowers sweepstakes. Haven't heard anything on Holden or Yorke but certainly doesn't mean SU isn't interested or hasn't reached out. Bertram I think could be a real option.

While I think Holden is a nice player, the last thing that we need is another middie. Curry and Dord are back. Lipka back. Buttermore is back. Magnan and Fiorini waiting in the wings. Kim's potentially waiting in the wings. Quinn is back. There is too many guys at the inn, not sure there is room.
I would not assume all these mids are coming back. Nor would I assume all of them will be healthy. If your assumptions are correct, I agree with your remarks. Were I coaching, I would not sit back. I would also advocate to construct a strong and effective health care system at the university which would protect as far as is possible the student from infection which I would use to sell the prospective player on the commitment to safety among all school employees as well as the SU board. I believe health and safety will be major concerns of any recruit.

Interesting list for sure. I think Maryland makes the most sense to honest, he’d have Wisnuskas as a finisher and if Bernhardt comes back another ball carrier. They still have a ton of question marks but in terms of fit on the attack, I think it makes sense. Telling Maltz to go to the bench doesn’t seem like a big deal. If Bernhardt doesn’t come back (he might go for football, but there might not be football so who knows), I don’t know how appealing the move is, but Tillman seems to be able to have a magic touch with recruiting so maybe it doesn’t matter.

I feel like on paper UNC is really intriguing but I agree with Jeremy, it just doesn’t seem like Gray and Sowers would be a good match. But if they bring back their entire first midfield and another stacked recruiting class, he might not really be thinking about that.

Obviously I think SU would be a really good fit for Sowers, hope he reconsiders.

I think UMd only makes sense if Bernhardt isn't returning, then Sowers could step into Bernhardt's spot.

Are you joking about "telling Maltz to sit is not a big deal"?

Exactly! Isn’t that why his brother transferred?

Yup pretty much, the Derek Maltz Sr debacle. In all fairness the guy who replaced him in the starting lineup was Randy Staats but the family was less then thrilled. His brother would have stayed and the youngest would probably be here as well if things hadn't gone south as his dad played here and won a NC. Tough break but hard to blame the staff.

Last edited:
I think UMd only makes sense if Bernhardt isn't returning, then Sowers could step into Bernhardt's spot.

Are you joking about "telling Maltz to sit is not a big deal"?

Im not. If you had the chance to bring in Sowers and match him with two players like Bernhardt and Wisnauskis I don’t see how you don’t make that call. It would be the same if he came to Syracuse and the coaching staff had Griffin Cook. They are both promising players but I can’t imagine turning a player like Sowers down for them.

Also, whether he goes to Maryland, Duke, SU or UNC he’s probably going to be taking someone’s job.

Im not. If you had the chance to bring in Sowers and match him with two players like Bernhardt and Wisnauskis I don’t see how you don’t make that call. It would be the same if he came to Syracuse and the coaching staff had Griffin Cook. They are both promising players but I can’t imagine turning a player like Sowers down for them.

Also, whether he goes to Maryland, Duke, SU or UNC he’s probably going to be taking someone’s job.

Perhaps, you would be right if we were talking about pro lacrosse, at the college level, toes get stepped on, and things happen as shown by the incident with the elder Maltz's at Syracuse.

While it is a small sample, Danny Maltz has done significantly better than Cook. Maltz has scored 18 points in his 6 games with the Terps. In particular, 5 goals against Penn and 1g,3a against ND, both quality teams. Developing Maltz seems important to the Terps' future.

Both Bernhardt and Sowers like to play from behind the goal and I would tend to see them mostly getting in each others way. The Terps also like to do a lot of inverting with Fairman and Kyle Long.

Yup pretty much, the Derek Maltz Sr debacle. In all fairness the guy who replaced him in the starting lineup was Randy Staats but the family was less then thrilled. His brother would have stayed and the youngest would probably be here as well if things hadn't gone south as his dad played here and won a NC. Tough break but hard to blame the staff.
There is much more to the Maltz story than that. On paper the Staats situation would be the clear evidence but there's more behind the scenes. Cuse lost a very productive player when Dylan transferred and he/Maryland clearly benefited from it. Its not like Dylan didn't produce during his short playing time on the hill

Regarding Hiltz - Connor Shellenberger was the #1 overall recruit and voluntarily took a redshirt this year. Asking Hiltz to redshirt this year is not out of the realm of possibility especially if he's a team first guy, especially coming from Culver.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom