2020 Transfer Thread | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2020 Transfer Thread

Regarding Hiltz - Connor Shellenberger was the #1 overall recruit and voluntarily took a redshirt this year. Asking Hiltz to redshirt this year is not out of the realm of possibility especially if he's a team first guy, especially coming from Culver.
In the realm of possibilties but all depends on who is here. . Scanlan is the only constant in various scenarios. . .If attack group is unchanged and Hiltz ability as good as advertised then he should be right in the in mix from start.

Regarding Hiltz - Connor Shellenberger was the #1 overall recruit and voluntarily took a redshirt this year. Asking Hiltz to redshirt this year is not out of the realm of possibility especially if he's a team first guy, especially coming from Culver.
Philosophically there may not be an issue. Financially, there is about a $40k cost-of-attendance difference, and that's assuming Shellenberger lived on campus (given he is a Charlottesville native). I assume Hiltz's financial aid package is pretty stout, but who knows?

Fernandez leaving frees up $$ and there will be more transfers freeing up additional funds
From what Im told, Fernandez isn't getting any athletic money. And none of us know who is, unless they have access to the portal or the university records. Also hearing the Kim brothers are looking to move elsewhere and Cuse has the most players in the portal from the ACC teams

Only place I've seen do a breakdown of where Sowers might end up. They don't think Syracuse is a good fit for Sowers, but I don't really agree with their assumptions. They list Syracuse, Penn State, Duke, Georgetown, Notre Dame and North Carolina (no Maryland) as possible destinations. I don't think they have any inside info, just guys like us spitballing.

There is much more to the Maltz story than that. On paper the Staats situation would be the clear evidence but there's more behind the scenes. Cuse lost a very productive player when Dylan transferred and he/Maryland clearly benefited from it. Its not like Dylan didn't produce during his short playing time on the hill

Yes I am sure there is more then simply Derek losing his starting job, when it comes to transfers there are usually a multitude of issues.. I was a big fan of Dylan as well, I don't think anyone wanted him to transfer and most thought it was big loss at the time. Derek was caught in a bit of a no mans land his Sr year with Staats taking his starting spot, staff tried to find playign time for him and put him on the man up but it was less then smooth sailing. My only point was it was hard to blame the staff for inserting Randy into the starting lineup.

From what Im told, Fernandez isn't getting any athletic money. And none of us know who is, unless they have access to the portal or the university records. Also hearing the Kim brothers are looking to move elsewhere and Cuse has the most players in the portal from the ACC teams

Most of the higher end recruits are getting some % of scholarship money but its just that a small % when its broken out over such a big roster. I was privy to some info on a couple of local guys who are on the team and have some idea what they are getting. You could certainly be right about Fernandez not getting any scholarship money but if we have as many in the portal as we are hearing there will definitely be money freed up. ACC hasn't had a deluge of transfers yet so SU leading the way might no be as bad as it sounds but certainly would hate to see anyone leave. I believe Fernandez is the only official one but there is an expectation that more will certainly join him including potentially the Kims and a few others. That said when you have a roster the size of Syracuse its inevitable.

Wouldn't surprise if portal is closer to 250 players when all said and done but it will have several tiers.

Cuse is obviously stronger and deeper than most , numbers or marginal upgrades needed nor can they afford.
Rather find out sooner than later if Sowers is a real possibility.

Gonna be a arms race by top 15 teams for the lottery picks . Be pleased if Cuse comes out of free agency madness with at least one high level transfer

Most of the higher end recruits are getting some % of scholarship money but its just that a small % when its broken out over such a big roster. I was privy to some info on a couple of local guys who are on the team and have some idea what they are getting. You could certainly be right about Fernandez not getting any scholarship money but if we have as many in the portal as we are hearing there will definitely be money freed up. ACC hasn't had a deluge of transfers yet so SU leading the way might no be as bad as it sounds but certainly would hate to see anyone leave. I believe Fernandez is the only official one but there is an expectation that more will certainly join him including potentially the Kims and a few others. That said when you have a roster the size of Syracuse its inevitable.
Kim brothers entered the portal a week ago. Not surprising that there isn't more info from other sources on this

Yes I am sure there is more then simply Derek losing his starting job, when it comes to transfers there are usually a multitude of issues.. I was a big fan of Dylan as well, I don't think anyone wanted him to transfer and most thought it was big loss at the time. Derek was caught in a bit of a no mans land his Sr year with Staats taking his starting spot, staff tried to find playign time for him and put him on the man up but it was less then smooth sailing. My only point was it was hard to blame the staff for inserting Randy into the starting lineup.

Randy Staats was 100% the better player than Maltz, both off ball and off the dodge. He would start right away for our current team no matter who we had to sit. Derek Maltz still had 23 points as a senior so clearly he was given a decent amount of run. I certainly hope there were other factors to the Maltz family moving out because that is just about the weakest crap in the world if they were pissed their sons weren't playing a whole lot over Staats, Rice, and Donahue. This isn't modified summer league it's high level D1. Also (sorry Zack80) I really don't think Dylan Maltz was great to the point where our team's results would be a whole lot different had he stayed. Around 35 points in 20 games as a (I believe) starting attack in both his junior and senior year at MD. Not exactly the type of stats a coach should kick themselves over losing. But he was clutch in the 2017 finals so props for that.

Kim brothers entered the portal a week ago. Not surprising that there isn't more info from other sources on this
There are soo many kids in the portal that it would not surprise me to see Fernandez & the Kims back at Cuse.

Talking about one and dones, we got five graduating seniors who have expressed a desire to return and are known commodities on the field and in locker room.. Not sure what delays but believe as grads there are no restrictions to their movement anywhere including teams in ACC. If they were in portal, we'd be talking about going after Trimboli, Dearth and Porter . Certainly go after a Sowers and such caliber but hope to hear about some close outs on a few of our own.

I feel like this is an important point, if the three players mentioned by IT return, that could really maintain 'Cuse as a powerhouse. Trimboli was on a roll last year and keeping him in the loop would mean Syracuse returns the best midfield unit in the country. Keeping Dearth gives the SSDM unit one of the best in the country, both on defense and in transition. And lastly returning Porter gives you one of the best goalies in the country. It's maybe not as flashy as getting someone new, but thats three potential first team All Americans, which would be absolutely huge. I know we have depth at those positions, but if those guys don't come back, I don't know if SU could be considered in the running for a Final Four spot. There aren't any goalies, SSDMs or offensive midfielders in the portal (or maybe the country) as good as those three. Let's hope this gets finalized soon.

There are soo many kids in the portal that it would not surprise me to see Fernandez & the Kims back at Cuse.

I feel confident in saying Fernandez definitely won't be back. The Kim's there is at least a shot.

Cuse # into portal will be high if all who are uncertain about prospects decide to enter and test waters . Should have limited impact next year but a few departures of those in future pic could pinch . Fernandez had a partial as do most who were actual recruits. He'll find a home if one was not already in place before declaring. Kims were developing nicely, bit unknown but their size and athleticism as well as academics will land them somewhere. For lesser players , the supply and demand equation is not favorable nor is the financial environment of colleges.
As far as incoming, Cuse's high cost does limit flexibility to add but sure to be some maneuvering for the select player that is coveted.

IL, Xanders are others are not privy to the NCAA portal that is available to coaches. It is larger than listed. IL may post on what is declared and what is reliably conveyed . It would be faulty reporting to otherwise do . Maybe our national media can take note and upgrade their ways

Question for those like Jermey, creaserat and anyone else, are you guys hearing more names other than Kim’s and Fernandez?
Like specific players that are leaving or looking to leave?

I am not as clued in as Ivory and CR but I have heard some additional rumblings but nothing with enough confirmation that I would list the names as I don't wan to spark an unnecessary rumor. As IT noted there is the potential for several more if all those on the fence decide to enter the portal. I do know the staff is trying to limit the amount of players leaving including some already in the portal.

I feel like this is an important point, if the three players mentioned by IT return, that could really maintain 'Cuse as a powerhouse. Trimboli was on a roll last year and keeping him in the loop would mean Syracuse returns the best midfield unit in the country. Keeping Dearth gives the SSDM unit one of the best in the country, both on defense and in transition. And lastly returning Porter gives you one of the best goalies in the country. It's maybe not as flashy as getting someone new, but thats three potential first team All Americans, which would be absolutely huge. I know we have depth at those positions, but if those guys don't come back, I don't know if SU could be considered in the running for a Final Four spot. There aren't any goalies, SSDMs or offensive midfielders in the portal (or maybe the country) as good as those three. Let's hope this gets finalized soon.
To me all the players in the transfer portal but graduating seniors are way too impatient. Every roster in D1 is uncertain including SU. Fernandez may have decided for other reasons than playing time to transfer, but the Kims might discover a lot of openings in the mid group at SU including even first line positions were they to wait a few months to decide. This is an upheaval not a blip in all human systems. It will devastate some and offer opportunities to others. No team will be able to set its roster for some time to come. Don't panic. All our assumptions may be toppled by next September.

No good for Sowers - only offered to current SU senior undergrads
tenor.gif

Where's Weitsman when you need him? :(

There’s on player that’s semi worries me that may think about transferring that idk why but I just get a feeling that with this he may decide to leave.
Who are you worried about? I'll ask around and see what the response is. Ive been told 7-10 Cuse kids are in the portal + a couple seniors not returning. Maybe those in the portal don't get picked up and return to Cuse. But with the incoming frosh, how many players will red shirt and how many will just be cut or quit?

but would now expect the five graduating sos who wish to return to be back

That is big, allows us to bring back "our" guys who want to come back which is what is most important. Will be interesting to see if SU goes after any undergrads in the portal now that 5th year guys are apparently out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom