2022 Portal | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

I am probably alone here, but I really liked what Symir brought to the table. He will never be a big 3 point threat, but if he can develop a serviceable 15 footer in the off season there is no reason why he should not get 30 minutes a game.The rest of his game is that good. I am all for bringing in anybody at PG who is willing to fairly compete for minutes, but to promise big minutes to somebody while not giving Symir a fair shot.....nope. Symir has paid his dues and deserves a fair opportunity.

The portal didn't exist until October of 2018, so there is a whole lot of never before that.

Yep, he’s taken plenty of transfers before 2018 and after. JB is not adverse to transfers.

Yep, he’s taken plenty of transfers before 2018 and after. JB is not adverse to transfers.
He hasn't been averse to the idea per se, but it has to be just right and I think both the Geno Thorpe and the results of the 16-17 season soured him a bit...
And his willingness this year is in question, for me, based on his comments during one of his radio appearances in which he was talking about how 2-3 of the frosh would start, he was expecting Buddy/Jimmy/Cole to be gone, and they wouldn't go portal unless someone else left unexpectedly

He hasn't been averse to the idea per se, but it has to be just right and I think both the Geno Thorpe and the results of the 16-17 season soured him a bit...
He took Griffin and Symir after Geno. And Elijah Hughes the same year as Thorpe, so maybe not as much as you think.
1648074668081.gif

The question comes down to how hard do you think JB is willing to work to upgrade the talent.

At his age... I just don't think he works as hard as other coaches.

Which has a downstream effect on just how effective the hard work the assistants put in can be.

I'm operating from the assumption that we'll either a) take someone that's a semi-known quantity or b) roll with what we got?

The question comes down to how hard do you think JB is willing to work to upgrade the talent.

Which has a downstream effect on just how effective the hard work the assistants put in can be.

I'm operating from the assumption that we'll either a) take someone that's a semi-known quantity or b) roll with what we got?

Hard to argue with that but I hope you're wrong.

In previous years the portal maybe had 250-300 kids max? Now its 1000+. That’s a lot more kids to evaluate and do due diligence. If JB doesn’t work hard in recruiting, you think he has time to sort through that many transfers in a 3-5 week window?

In previous years the portal maybe had 250-300 kids max? Now its 1000+. That’s a lot more kids to evaluate and do due diligence. If JB doesn’t work hard in recruiting, you think he has time to sort through that many transfers in a 2-3 week window?

Sometimes jobs change and you have to change with them (...or not and get fired. ) At least in the real business world...

The next wave of excellent coaches will undoubtedly learn to use the portal to maximum advantage, as it's a real wildcard now in the recruiting landscape and is ever-evolving and certainly expanding.

I would think a good chunk of targeting could be done with data mining/moneyball algorithms to narrow your targets and then subjectively review the shortened list of targets for team culture fit and intangibles. Regardless, you need a goal-oriented strategy for what you want ahead of time and a way to datacrunch the targets quickly to a shortlist. There would be humans you would likely want to pay to do this moneyballing... internally or perhaps a 3rd party service.

Sometimes jobs change and you have to change with them (...or not and get fired. ) At least in the real business world...

The next wave of excellent coaches will undoubtedly learn to use the portal to maximum advantage, as it's a real wildcard now in the recruiting landscape and is ever-evolving and certainly expanding.

I would think a good chunk of targeting could be done with data mining/moneyball algorithms to narrow your targets and then subjectively review the shortened list of targets for team culture fit and intangibles. Regardless, you need a goal-oriented strategy for what you want ahead of time and a way to datacrunch the targets quickly to a shortlist. There would be humans you would likely want to pay to do this moneyballing... internally or perhaps a 3rd party service.

No different than looking for a transfer(s) prior to the portal. You just get to use said player sooner.

If you were cole, knowing the roster as it is, would you return?
Yes. Not sure what shoe Cole is waiting on to drop. Maybe he wants a shot at the 2? Maybe he wants a commitment to play some man D. Needs to know Jesse is staying? Needs to know Mintz isnt coming? Family issue. Eu basketball up in the air? Who knows why " He wants to come back but is waiting" for what. Jimmy Jr to truly be gone? Odd

Yes. Not sure what shoe Cole is waiting on to drop. Maybe he wants a shot at the 2? Maybe he wants a commitment to play some man D. Needs to know Jesse is staying? Needs to know Mintz isnt coming? Family issue. Eu basketball up in the air? Who knows why " He wants to come back but is waiting" for what. Jimmy Jr to truly be gone? Odd

Waiting for McDonalds to bring back the McRib.

I understand but we obviously over evaluated JBA and Frank tbh.

Because of that, they have no where to go. No other P5 D1 school is going to take a swing at them.

If you are them you probably aren’t going to leave Cuse to go to a low level D1 school and STILL sit the bench. You might as well just stay at Cuse.

I think the issue is a lot of people think we can just cut the cord with these players, however, there is legislation in place that you can’t just do that. The fate is 100% up to the kids and not the coaches.

If JBA or Frank are going to portal, they need to make that decision ASAP to allow JB and Cuse to seek out transfers.

If you’re a transfer you’re not even going to look at Cuse because it’s a BIG maybe if they will have room on the roster currently.

I would be completely shocked if weren’t talking to potential transfers but you’re not going to see real traction until we know a couple of factors….

Is Mintz coming? If not has Cole decided to come back?

If either of those are yes, are Frank or JBA planning on transferring to open up an additional spot?

If Mintz goes elsewhere or Cole definitely leaves than we have a spot and you’ll see us become more aggressive.

However, if Mintz goes to DePaul, I would think that might be showing that Cole is coming back
Frank would have 5 schools reach out within 24 hrs.

Frank would have 5 schools reach out within 24 hrs.

Probably, I don’t think he leaves tho.

He def hasn’t had the “it’s time to move on talk”

I’m sure JBA has but like I said before, he has no landing spot so I don’t see him leaving either

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom