2022 Portal | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

of course it is different.

it's called scale and you need a different approach and process to operate at scale effectively.

and you know that...
I could see football and basketball expanding their ops staff to include a whole department dedicated to scouting college players and having an internal database rating/ranking the players along with stats and tape for when they become available.

I could see football and basketball expanding their ops staff to include a whole department dedicated to scouting college players and having an internal database rating/ranking the players along with stats and tape for when they become available.
I suggested that 2 years ago.

Im pretty sure synergy has college basketball now, just not sure the depth of it.

of course it is different.

it's called scale and you need a different approach and process to operate at scale effectively.

and you know that...

We’ll agree to disagree.

Problem is I doubt SU is putting those type of resources into it

This will evolve and I'd expect that the recruiting profile aggregators like 247, etc. will expand their profiling efforts to track and update players profiles more diligently post-LOI and arrival at a school on the assumption that they may be in the portal in a year or two.

They will develop and package with a searchable UI and algorithmic targeting tools and sell subscriptions to school athletic programs. There will be a module specifically focused on portal players research and targeting.

They will likely offer custom research and targeting services to schools that don't have the internal resources to devote to this themselves, as well.

More data all the time is where we humans are heading... and the expanding transfer portal is a perfect use case for it.

Just had an interesting conversation about an hour ago with a mid-major assistant who was talking about how he was traveling with other D1 coaches and they were discussing the portal. Said the overall sentiment is that the portal is perfect because once you get them they can’t leave as opposed to HS kids who can leave. This program doesn’t necessarily share that philosophy full bore but he said he did see some validity in that mindset.

Recruiting is so different right now and it’s very unfortunate for HS kids. Anyway just wanted to share that perspective amongst all the SU portal talk.
Can’t players coming into a school from the transfer portal leave for a 3rd school but they would have to sit out a year though?

What about this kid? He just entered the portal. He was a starting shooting guard for LSU, was their third leading scorer, has great size, and is from Baltimore (maybe Red has a DMV connection here?).
Would any of our former IMG guys know him? Didnt Jesse play there?

has SU reached out to anyone or are they waiting on our current players and someone like Mintz a hs recruit?

has SU reached out to anyone or are they waiting on our current players and someone like Mintz a hs recruit?
If they are waiting to make contact until things like that shake out, we are in trouble. I think it is crucial to make early and consistent contact. You don't have to offer a scholarship, but let the guy know that you love their game and that we want to be a player in their recruitment. Start selling the program and start developing the relationship.

What about this kid? He just entered the portal. He was a starting shooting guard for LSU, was their third leading scorer, has great size, and is from Baltimore (maybe Red has a DMV connection here?).

Still the question is - does a SG help us? Good players of course are always a good thing though too.

These kids still need to be accepted to SU. Just because they're available doesn't mean they get in. It's not always a huge hurdle to clear, but sometimes the transfers can be for a reason that doesn't have to do with the basketball side of things.

Can’t players coming into a school from the transfer portal leave for a 3rd school but they would have to sit out a year though?

Yes but very few kids are going to want sit out an extra year….

That would mean they would have to transfer after their freshman season to be able to possibly play a third season at three different schools isn’t really the best look. So they are much more secure than high school kids.

They still get a free transfer for a grad transfer tho

If they are waiting to make contact until things like that shake out, we are in trouble. I think it is crucial to make early and consistent contact. You don't have to offer a scholarship, but let the guy know that you love their game and that we want to be a player in their recruitment. Start selling the program and start developing the relationship.
A top portal player will have dozens of legit offers , a 2 minute internet search would reveal our scholarship situation. We would not be considered until a scholarship became available.

A top portal player will have dozens of legit offers , a 2 minute internet search would reveal our scholarship situation. We would not be considered until a scholarship became available.
Yeah, I don't think things really work that way. For a "top portal player", there would be a spot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom