2022 Portal | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

That wasn't bad. Better than almost any post of yours I can remember.
savage burn.gif

The question comes down to how hard do you think JB is willing to work to upgrade the talent.

At his age... I just don't think he works as hard as other coaches.

Which has a downstream effect on just how effective the hard work the assistants put in can be.

I'm operating from the assumption that we'll either a) take someone that's a semi-known quantity or b) roll with what we got?
This is true. But my thought is unlike 16 year old recruits that expect a little more attention, the 22 year old transfer portal types will be easier for JB to recruit. There’s no BS with JB and I think a kid who’s already been somewhere else has a better idea of what he wants in a coach/program.

We all know JB plays no bench. Theres no reason we can’t attract an elite PG and offer 35mpg - I would think that’s a major selling point to a grad transfer who wants PT instantly

100% accurate

Last year we had the spot for JBA so we took him back and could use the depth.

There’s a reason he hasn’t entered yet….if he enters his scholarship this year is 100% gone. JB would def fill it with a transfer.

Also reminder, you can’t talk to other schools before you enter into the portal. Obviously stuff gets communicated through back channels etc but there is a good chance that JBA knows he won’t have a landing spot if he enters the portal.
No coincidence that most of our recent departures have gone back to their local area. Those back channels are always open. If you are an assistant coach in this transfer portal area and you're not maintaining contact with the guys who were close to coming here you're not doing your job.

If you were cole, knowing the roster as it is, would you return?
IMO, that has nothing to do with it for Cole. Does he want to play basketball in college again, or move on with his life.
He is 23 and will be on a team with lots of 18 YOs.
A five year gap at that age is huge. Like having to hang out at the kids table when you’re in college.

Sometimes jobs change and you have to change with them (...or not and get fired. ) At least in the real business world...

The next wave of excellent coaches will undoubtedly learn to use the portal to maximum advantage, as it's a real wildcard now in the recruiting landscape and is ever-evolving and certainly expanding.

I would think a good chunk of targeting could be done with data mining/moneyball algorithms to narrow your targets and then subjectively review the shortened list of targets for team culture fit and intangibles. Regardless, you need a goal-oriented strategy for what you want ahead of time and a way to datacrunch the targets quickly to a shortlist. There would be humans you would likely want to pay to do this moneyballing... internally or perhaps a 3rd party service.

Exactly this. It’s totally different in evaluation because of the data set from a year playing college ball. That is a treasure trove of more data.

This should already exist on the support staff here. JB and the ACs should have recos in hand that are live and updating as new entrants go into the portal.

No coincidence that most of our recent departures have gone back to their local area. Those back channels are always open. If you are an assistant coach in this transfer portal area and you're not maintaining contact with the guys who were close to coming here you're not doing your job.
Quincy was from Canada and went to Oregon. Woody Newton was from Maryland and went to Oklahoma State. Robert Braswell was an military child who played high school ball in South Carolina, he ended up in North Carolina. Brendan Paul played high school ball in OhIo and went to West Virginia area. Howard Washington came from Buffalo and transferred to South Alabama. Now, Goodine (From Massachusetts went to Providence, Carey (from Harlem, NY went to Rhode island and Richmond (from Brooklyn to Seton Hall NJ) did go back close to their home areas.

Frank would have 5 schools reach out within 24 hrs.
Frank is coming back, I'm pretty sure. He likes it at Syracuse.
Yea, I would imagine that Frank is staying. He was essentially a freshman this past season, will play a lot next year, and will be the full-time starter the following season (which would effectively be his junior year). I think he could really develop.

Immediate red flag when you transfer after your sophomore year and the tweet is selling you based on your unimpressive freshman numbers lol.

He would have been an interesting flier after the freshman year, but woo boy things did not go well this year.

No different than looking for a transfer(s) prior to the portal. You just get to use said player sooner.

Not really.

The expanding sheer volume of players in the portal now and the trend that more and more will be entering in future cycles requires a different approach from the past to target the volume effectively.

It's a moving target and strategies will be evolving as well.

Immediate red flag when you transfer after your sophomore year and the tweet is selling you based on your unimpressive freshman numbers lol.

He would have been an interesting flier after the freshman year, but woo boy things did not go well this year.

Just was sharing hadn't taken a look yet.

Yeah yeah I wasn't attacking you. More just finding it funny that Borzello was trying to sell people on his numbers from the previous year because of how bad he was this season.

Yeah- UK is definitely in general not a source I would be looking for a portal kid right now.

Just had an interesting conversation about an hour ago with a mid-major assistant who was talking about how he was traveling with other D1 coaches and they were discussing the portal. Said the overall sentiment is that the portal is perfect because once you get them they can’t leave as opposed to HS kids who can leave. This program doesn’t necessarily share that philosophy full bore but he said he did see some validity in that mindset.

Recruiting is so different right now and it’s very unfortunate for HS kids. Anyway just wanted to share that perspective amongst all the SU portal talk.

Just had an interesting conversation about an hour ago with a mid-major assistant who was talking about how he was traveling with other D1 coaches and they were discussing the portal. Said the overall sentiment is that the portal is perfect because once you get them they can’t leave as opposed to HS kids who can leave. This program doesn’t necessarily share that philosophy full bore but he said he did see some validity in that mindset.

Recruiting is so different right now and it’s very unfortunate for HS kids. Anyway just wanted to share that perspective amongst all the SU portal talk.

Thanks for sharing. It really is a completely different world now.

Not really.

The expanding sheer volume of players in the portal now and the trend that more and more will be entering in future cycles requires a different approach from the past to target the volume effectively.

It's a moving target and strategies will be evolving as well.

Not really. Getting 1 out of 50 isn’t any different than 1 out of 500. You’re still getting 1. There’s just more to choose from. You still have to do the work to get that 1.

IMO, that has nothing to do with it for Cole. Does he want to play basketball in college again, or move on with his life.
He is 23 and will be on a team with lots of 18 YOs.
A five year gap at that age is huge. Like having to hang out at the kids table when you’re in college.
I've mentioned this before, when Cole is interviewed, he has the disposition and personality of someone who will be a successful future coach. Afterall, he interned with Jay Wright and JAB, so it doesn't get a lot better than that. I can see him coming back and working as the team leader, helping acclimate all of the young guys to CBB. Last year he deferred to Buddy, and Jimmy to some extent. This year it is his, Joe's and Symir's team.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom