2022 Portal | Page 43 | Syracusefan.com

2022 Portal

Define sizable.

giphy.gif

define handful. I bet more than five guys are getting NIL money that is more than $100k.

I bet more than 5 is too. But it’s still a small number getting more than $100k. Off the top of my head of what we’ve read it’s less than 10.

I bet more than 5 is too. But it’s still a small number getting more than $100k. Off the top of my head of what we’ve read it’s less than 10.
Not sure but I bet you are right and that no one is keeping it under wraps if publicizing it helps schools with future recruitment.

There are womens college basketball players getting multi-million dollar deals and the only published deals with mens basketball players are in the hundreds of thousands to millions for some mid-major players. If boosters and shoe companies were willing to pay hundreds of thousands under the table for recruits (a strong-ass offer), they're certainly not backing off now. These quotes are from The Athletic:
Football fundraising needed a new benchmark in order to recruit and retain talented players amid the exploding name, image and likeness market. The annual war chest required to field a contending SEC roster? [Head Coach Billy] Napier set the price at $20 million.

“I love that number,” said Eddie Rojas, CEO of the Gator Collective. “It’s a doable number, and we’re building for that.”
“If you would have asked us four to five months ago, we might have said we want to try and raise $3 (million), $4 (million), $5 million annually. Now, the goal is $25 million annually. Or more. And we think that goal is absolutely attainable,” said Hunter Baddour, president and co-founder of Spyre Sports, a Tennessee-centric college sports collective. “We’ll have to work hard, which we will. If this is how the game is played, then game on.”
Those are for football, but $1-2 million a year for a top-20 basketball team? Totally within the realm of possibility.
A marketable college star like [Hunter] Dickinson can generate NIL money on par with what he would earn as a first-year pro.
That's one guy on one team. Even if only the best player on each P5 basketball team gets $100k, that's an easy 30-40 players plus the very best approaching or exceeding 7 figures. And when kids like Bowen were getting $100k a year as a recruit - not even an established college player like Dickinson or a highly desired transfer like Pack or Omier, the money is going to be huge.

People are vastly underestimating the size of these NIL deals. It's not Jimmy getting a few thousand to rep a billboard company. It's top-100 recruits getting a free Mercedes lease, penthouse apartment, and $100k a year from a collective - every year.

Not sure but I bet you are right and that no one is keeping it under wraps if publicizing it helps schools with future recruitment.
They're not keeping it under wraps, but no one is publishing signing deals. It's still not the pros.
Thus far, the Gator Collective isn’t publicizing terms of its financial contracts — Rojas said it’s not his place to “share info about other people’s money.” But when recruits visit campus and ask about NIL opportunities, they’re encouraged to talk to players who are already earning compensation. “Ventrell Miller can share with the next linebacker what he makes,” Rojas said. “Talk to Gervon Dexter in private and he’ll tell you what he’s making here — and it’s really nice.”

“What gets me out of bed every day is wanting to take care of my family; every time I think about that, it just drives me to do better.” But [Antonio] Reeves added: “I’m not really worried too much about NIL right now. I’m just worried about going there and developing my game and skill. It’s Kentucky, so I know I’ll do well there in NIL regardless. That’s not even something to worry about.

maybe JB's plan is to wait until the portal-entry deadline (Saturday) has passed and the dust has settled, assess what's there, and reach out to targets then

or maybe not

There are womens college basketball players getting multi-million dollar deals and the only published deals with mens basketball players are in the hundreds of thousands to millions for some mid-major players. If boosters and shoe companies were willing to pay hundreds of thousands under the table for recruits (a strong-ass offer), they're certainly not backing off now. These quotes are from The Athletic:

Those are for football, but $1-2 million a year for a top-20 basketball team? Totally within the realm of possibility.

That's one guy on one team. Even if only the best player on each P5 basketball team gets $100k, that's an easy 30-40 players plus the very best approaching or exceeding 7 figures. And when kids like Bowen were getting $100k a year as a recruit - not even an established college player like Dickinson or a highly desired transfer like Pack or Omier, the money is going to be huge.

People are vastly underestimating the size of these NIL deals. It's not Jimmy getting a few thousand to rep a billboard company. It's top-100 recruits getting a free Mercedes lease, penthouse apartment, and $100k a year from a collective - every year.

To date I’ll still put it at my numbers for the number of players getting $100k+ that we know of. The whole point of this discussion is that not everyone is getting these kinds of deals and it’s mostly the elite. Is Ruiz giving every Miami player the same deal he’s given a couple?

To date I’ll still put it at my numbers for the number of players getting $100k+ that we know of. The whole point of this discussion is that not everyone is getting these kinds of deals and it’s mostly the elite. Is Ruiz giving every Miami player the same deal he’s given a couple?
My earlier point is that JB (and lots of other coaches) vastly underestimated the potential of the NIL market. But I think the majority of coaches did so too, so he wasn’t alone in that. I think he did understand the potential for abuse and unintended consequences and tried to sound the alarm a few years ago. He wisely came out the past few years as supporting NIL (he didn’t want to be that guy), but I imagine he thought the NCAA would create some regulations around it. Now it’s a free for all and collectives are already changing the ability for many schools to compete.

I find it fascinating that people still don't believe there is a tsunami of money already out there.

When coaches and recruiters had to dance around and shuttle money through hiring parents through subsidiaries and paying handlers, it was still a lot of money. Lance Thomas didn't get a $150 gift certificate from Chotchkie’s and somehow convert that into $30k of cash and $100k worth of jewelry - and that was 12 years ago.

Everything that happened then is now above board and it's lots of money.

I find it fascinating that people still don't believe there is a tsunami of money already out there.

When coaches and recruiters had to dance around and shuttle money through hiring parents through subsidiaries and paying handlers, it was still a lot of money. Lance Thomas didn't get a $150 gift certificate from Chotchkie’s and somehow convert that into $30k of cash and $100k worth of jewelry - and that was 12 years ago.

Everything that happened then is now above board and it's lots of money.

Absolutely no doubt there was money already out there. Affectionately called “bags”. Kids were paid by certain schools under the table and in the dark. We all know that. Right or wrong we’ve all made claims of schools paying kids. Now with it all being legal (for the most part) I think two things has happened. There’s even more money out there and kids are getting even more than before. The cost of business has gone up.

I'm just not sure why so many people don't understand this.

PSA: Please, everyone read this. It's the best explanation I have seen.

Cliff Notes:

• SCHOOLS DO NOT AND CANNOT PAY STUDENT ATHLETES AND CALL IT NIL.
  • THEY CANNOT SET UP DEALS WITH STUDENT ATHLETES AND POTENTIAL FUNDERS.
  • SCHOOL LOGOS CANNOT BE USED IN ANY NIL ACTIVITY/PRODUCT/ETC.
On bullet point #2 of course Saban and Calipari have their hands clean but there's someone associated with these programs coordinating the boosters setting up the NIL slush funds. The plausible deniability is built in and these go betweens will be the patsys when TSHTF

The portal started off all shiny and new like a bullet train. It is now starting to resemble a 42nd street subway car
Good thing Cuse don't need no stinkin' bullet trains or subway cars ... we'll just walk, thank you

Ship has sailed now that we have Edwards, but I really wish we'd landed this kid back in the day.

Expect that he'll end up at a high major factory. He's got all the right attributes / athleticism, plus the stats to make that kind of jump.

Yep. I meant to post both he and Lofton in same post... that is a monster loss for them and right before the deadline.

Also just really disheartened of the complete radio silence of us doing anything in the portal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom