2023-24 NBA Season | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 NBA Season

Some early gambling advice: James Harden and the Clippers will play back-to-back road games against Miami and Atlanta on February 4th and 5th.
mayweatherstripclub.png

Don’t care about PER for MVP, it’s a flawed metric in that regard.

It’s Luka right now by a country mile.

Embiid is very lucky mvp is a regular season award.

I’ll be honest I can’t stand watching him play. A big issue I have with Embiids game(kind of like Harden) is that he gets away with in the regular season is relying on foul hunting and he doesn’t get those same calls in the playoffs. There’s also always a chance he gets nicked up.

Yeah that always seems to be the issue for him.

I was curious about the FT rate thing; for his career Embiid has a FT rate of .554 in the regular season. (.554 FTA for every FGA). In the playoffs, it's nearly the same, at .558. For whatever its worth, over the last 3 years, when Embiid has really become Embiid, he has a regular season FT rate of .600 and about .54 in the playoffs, so a clear drop.

Whatever the reason, he really hasn't been the same player in the playoffs as he has in the regular season. The stat that really stands out (hat tip to Zach Lowe for this one) is in the playoffs he has 193 TO and only 148 assists. In the 22 and 23 seasons, he averaged 4.2 assists per game in each regular season; that dropped to 2.1 and 2.7 in the playoffs.

Yeah that always seems to be the issue for him.

I was curious about the FT rate thing; for his career Embiid has a FT rate of .554 in the regular season. (.554 FTA for every FGA). In the playoffs, it's nearly the same, at .558. For whatever its worth, over the last 3 years, when Embiid has really become Embiid, he has a regular season FT rate of .600 and about .54 in the playoffs, so a clear drop.

Whatever the reason, he really hasn't been the same player in the playoffs as he has in the regular season. The stat that really stands out (hat tip to Zach Lowe for this one) is in the playoffs he has 193 TO and only 148 assists. In the 22 and 23 seasons, he averaged 4.2 assists per game in each regular season; that dropped to 2.1 and 2.7 in the playoffs.
The thing that’s always stood out to me about Embiid in the playoffs (besides his 3 pointers falling off a cliff, which might just be fluky small sample size stuff) is that I feel like every game would always reach a point where it just looked like Embiid was so exhausted he might collapse if he takes another step. Not sure if it’s just because the season is long or because the intensity/physicality is more taxing in the playoffs but he just seems to completely run out of gas and suddenly he isn’t contesting/deterring shots at the rim, is settling for low percentage shots, and is slow on his passes out of double teams.

The thing that’s always stood out to me about Embiid in the playoffs (besides his 3 pointers falling off a cliff, which might just be fluky small sample size stuff) is that I feel like every game would always reach a point where it just looked like Embiid was so exhausted he might collapse if he takes another step. Not sure if it’s just because the season is long or because the intensity/physicality is more taxing in the playoffs but he just seems to completely run out of gas and suddenly he isn’t contesting/deterring shots at the rim, is settling for low percentage shots, and is slow on his passes out of double teams.

That's a really good point. I also think he's probably not in like super elite star shape and it just wears on him. He's also a huge dude.

Then again I look at Jokic, who doesnt appear to my eye to be in fantastic shape by any stretch, but he's always out there and just put up one of the all time playoff runs in history

Well at least Detroit has some championships as well. But its amazing that the city may have the worst teams in all sports in the 2000's.

I think there's a chance this year could be different. Getting rid of Harden (and Doc also) was addition by subtraction, in that it's very clear that Embiid is 1a and Maxey is 1b, whereas with Embiid/Harden it was like two alpha personalities that didn't quite work together.
Embiid won MVP and Harden led the league in assists.

11-31 shooting night. He did a lot of other things well, like 10 assists, but man his shooting was just so bad. Needs to understand. And I’m still not sure if his layup was goaltending or not.
Personally thought that it was a clean block.

Embiid won MVP and Harden led the league in assists.

Yes true but then Harden demanded a trade and said he wasn't doing as much as he could

Personally thought that it was a clean block.

There was one view where I thought it was and there was another (the overhead) where I think it got the backboard first.

That situation is one where the "indisputable evidence" deal kinda sucks. The only way you can review a potential goaltending is to call it goaltending on the floor, so it's biased in the favor of leaving the call as it is. But I also think the refs know they can call it a goaltend if its really close and you get the review triggered it leaves you in a spot where you're more likely to call a questionable goaltend a goaltend and then have the call stand when you can't tell for sure either way

Yes true but then Harden demanded a trade and said he wasn't doing as much as he could
Also true, although he wanted to stay until Morey went back on his word.

Also true, although he wanted to stay until Morey went back on his word.

Yeah to be honest I do think that was probably the driving force but he did make comments in the direction of he thought he should be used more for Philly as well

Yeah to be honest I do think that was probably the driving force but he did make comments in the direction of he thought he should be used more for Philly as well
Right, just hard to say if that’s how he really feels or if it’s further justification. I guess the Clippers are letting him do more offensively, although I didn’t watch enough of the Sixers last season to know for sure.

Right, just hard to say if that’s how he really feels or if it’s further justification. I guess the Clippers are letting him do more offensively, although I didn’t watch enough of the Sixers last season to know for sure.

I kinda read that as him saying he wants more isos. So, for whatever its worth, from NBA.com...

they have Harden with 23% of his possessions as isolations this year. Last season in Philly it was 30.3%. In 2019 it was 48.7%! (He basically leads the league every year, in 2019 when he was at 48.7%, 2nd place was Chris Paul at 28.8%.

Well at least Detroit has some championships as well. But its amazing that the city may have the worst teams in all sports in the 2000's.

I put a small wager on the Pistons +17 and a smaller one on the money line. They didn't look too bad against Brooklyn and I was thinking the Celtics were in a letdown spot after that Christmas Lakers victory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom