2023-24 Portal Options | Page 113 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

A couple of thoughts. Interest is a 2 way street. Maybe the staff is reaching out to some of these guys and they prefer to stay in the mountains/west coast zones. Also inquiries could be going through coaches, handlers or family. Not every contact may result in a tweet. Lastly I get that fans are parched for some success but really we need to give Red some room here. It's also possible that they believe some guys are not good fits. I think we give Red some room here. 2024 strategies are likely also being contemplated in context of transfers as well.
I also think we have to realistic about the following - Red has no resume. Unless there is a connection, it’s hard to sell a kid here right now.

My hope is that once the roster is settled - then we get the summer trip to get a look at the team, that we start to see the vision Red has with being "versatile". Between the frustrating run of being on the bubble to the past two years to now this change with so much unknown its hard to pin down an opinion and not second guess it right behind.

One thing I do like is that we have a good big man coach in Griff. He put the work in with Jesse and it paid off. He put the work in with Bourama and it almost paid off if not for injury. He helped the one kid at Dayton a ton... who sadly passed away far too young. So he clearly knows what he is doing working with these kids. Mccleod is in year 3 so project isn't really the right designation at this point. He isn't a 25 min plus a game starter either.

Trying to keep the faith that this group has both a vision and confidence in what they can get out of the guys they have and the guys they want.

The 24 and beyond recruiting is the biggest positive for me. We aren't chasing projects. That's a good sign. The staff is busting their tails getting on the road as well. Another good sign. It's all a whirlwind though
Sidibe is a starter for a team in the African league. He looked good. Good basketball in that league.

My hope is that once the roster is settled - then we get the summer trip to get a look at the team, that we start to see the vision Red has with being "versatile". Between the frustrating run of being on the bubble to the past two years to now this change with so much unknown its hard to pin down an opinion and not second guess it right behind.

One thing I do like is that we have a good big man coach in Griff. He put the work in with Jesse and it paid off. He put the work in with Bourama and it almost paid off if not for injury. He helped the one kid at Dayton a ton... who sadly passed away far too young. So he clearly knows what he is doing working with these kids. Mccleod is in year 3 so project isn't really the right designation at this point. He isn't a 25 min plus a game starter either.

Trying to keep the faith that this group has both a vision and confidence in what they can get out of the guys they have and the guys they want.

The 24 and beyond recruiting is the biggest positive for me. We aren't chasing projects. That's a good sign. The staff is busting their tails getting on the road as well. Another good sign. It's all a whirlwind though
Hope so too, but perhaps I set my hopes a little too high about the roster churn and ability to add different types of players. I wanted a lot of change simply to get away from the mess we've had the past 5 years, which meant more than just replacing the guys who left. Perhaps that was an unfair goal, but I expected the Red era to really push for large scale, immediate change, though it was probably a lot tougher for him to do as an in-house replacement and the relationships built. I just don't want him to have an even harder go of it if we have a 10-12 win season or something.

I agree about Griff and hope he can work with whoever we do end up with to improve their game. I just wish we had more than really tall guys with limited offensive skills.

Let's hope we can land Freeman to pair with Moore and really rev up the 24 class. No more projects would be great.

I also think we have to realistic about the following - Red has no resume. Unless there is a connection, it’s hard to sell a kid here right now.

That and the unfortunate stuff around NIL that floated among local journalists between Jesse and AW. All that certainly is of no help in the immediate term getting things going.

Hope so too, but perhaps I set my hopes a little too high about the roster churn and ability to add different types of players. I wanted a lot of change simply to get away from the mess we've had the past 5 years, which meant more than just replacing the guys who left. Perhaps that was an unfair goal, but I expected the Red era to really push for large scale, immediate change, though it was probably a lot tougher for him to do as an in-house replacement and the relationships built. I just don't want him to have an even harder go of it if we have a 10-12 win season or something.

I agree about Griff and hope he can work with whoever we do end up with to improve their game. I just wish we had more than really tall guys with limited offensive skills.

Let's hope we can land Freeman to pair with Moore and really rev up the 24 class. No more projects would be great.

Yeah I think we all want to feel closer to hope than despair for this immediate season and essentially being right down the middle with many question marks is frustrating. 24/25 and beyond does seem to be a focal point with momentum .. let's hope Freeman pulls the trigger soon to boost that.

That is definitely one of the disadvantages of hiring a guy with no HC resume

Yeah for sure in the short term. Even Hurley battled this with existing HC experience albeit at a much smaller program.

immediate playing time. Hell, starting playing time.

Yeah for sure in the short term. Even Hurley battled this with existing HC experience albeit at a much smaller program.
UConn is a much smaller program than Syracuse?? I think it’s the opposite at the moment

Not sure if this has been posted previously, but Syr.com is reporting that 7-4 FSU Center McLeod is in the portal and visiting SU this weekend. This guy had a good game against . . . was a terror on the glass and blocked anything near the rim. He's 255. I like it.

Florida State transfer center Naheem McLeod schedules visit to Syracuse

I think they got it covered. Also in the Portal thread.

That is definitely one of the disadvantages of hiring a guy with no HC resume

It was one of the concerns before the Red hire and why many considered it a risk. It sucks that this is the reality. But we all want to support Red and hope he crushes it.

I’m just extremely disappointed in Jesse right now. He’s being sold false promises by WVU that probably won’t come to fruition, and he’s burning bridges with his alma mater in the process, and possibly hurting Red from starting his tenure with a bang. So much for loyalty to the coaches (especially Griff) that helped develop your skills. It would only be one more year at Cuse, and he’s decided to bolt because Pops wants him to go to the highest bidder.

It was one of the concerns before the Red hire and why many considered it a risk. It sucks that this is the reality. But we all want to support Red and hope he crushes it.

I’m just extremely disappointed in Jesse right now. He’s being sold false promises by WVU that probably won’t come to fruition, and he’s burning bridges with his alma mater in the process, and possibly hurting Red from starting his tenure with a bang. So much for loyalty to the coaches (especially Griff) that helped develop your skills. It would only be one more year at Cuse, and he’s decided to bolt because Pops wants him to go to the highest bidder.
I don't think Jesse will ever see the money that was promised.

Portal, future recruits and summer development. That's the incredibly challenging task on Red and his staff. The summer work will be critical for the future as will getting Freeman to pair with Moore as a selling point for others.

What a shame

Not really.

He made his choice and if it winds up being a bad choice, it's on him and his handlers.

That said, if WV delivers:

- tampering
- overpromising NIL
- then underdelivering NIL

...lookout below.

I was very surprised when the WV NIL collective guy said they had no contract with Jesse as yet and it would be sorted out later, which means most likely, they had some sort of documented agreement in principle or at worst, the offer was just a verbal offer. If the latter, yee gads...

Attachments

• pimpin-aint-easy-wjede9.jpg
    pimpin-aint-easy-wjede9.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 31