2023-24 Portal Options | Page 115 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

I'm really curious what this looks like.

We know the incentives can't be pay to play or performance based, ie, the NIL can't be stats driven or awards driven.

But I'm guessing it looks like $10k per appearance at an event, up to 50 appearances... and making all 50 appearances would be impossible.

I don't see a NBA player when I see him. Quite frankly, I don't think he helps an average college team that much. He was good for the team he was on. That isn't NBA.

Fair enough. I still see him as a decent prospect. He controlled games with his play multiple times this year. He is one I feel that is better to chase the pro game than return even if on a two way. Obviously Green is a unicorn and the comparison is in doing many things at a high level.

I'm really curious what this looks like.

We know the incentives can't be pay to play or performance based, ie, the NIL can't be stats driven or awards driven.

But I'm guessing it looks like $10k per appearance at an event, up to 50 appearances... and making all 50 appearances would be impossible.
Maybe the appearance opportunities lessen as the individual underperforms, and vice versa.

Wow…Wake?
Unfortunately, yes.. they've now landed 2 former 5-stars from the Zags. He turned down going back home to Virginia and the VCU offer. Not sure about his waiver process though (2 transfers).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, yes.. they've now landed 2 former 5-stars from the Zags. He turned down going back home to Virginia and the VCU offer. Not sure about his waiver process though (2 transfers).
Reid is likely gonna have to sit out two years. Apparently, the mom is also a whole lot of drama so teams started to shy away from him.

Reid is likely gonna have to sit out two years. Apparently, the mom is also a whole lot of drama so teams started to shy away from him.
That could be (she does refer to herself as Mama Bear), but she is (or was) very nice and easy to talk too. She was the one that gave me the Woody to Cuse intel back in their Team Takeover/EYBL playing days. His mom was known for making this very distinctive bird call noise anytime Efton was on the court playing. Back then she was hopeful he'd go to Virginia and stay close to home. Instead, he ended up at L$U and then most recently Gonzaga.

"It was just the family aspect of it," Reid told Demon Deacon Digest. "It felt like family. It was one of the best visits I've ever been on in my recruiting process. I felt instantly at home.

Being closer to my mom was a big part of the decision. I'm not going to say exactly what her health problems are, but she has some health problems to where I need to move closer to home. I'm only three hours away from her, so it gives me the opportunity to visit her and be there when I'm needed. It's just me, my mother and my brother."

Last edited:
Fair enough. I still see him as a decent prospect. He controlled games with his play multiple times this year. He is one I feel that is better to chase the pro game than return even if on a two way. Obviously Green is a unicorn and the comparison is in doing many things at a high level.
I like Jackson too - in fact I don't think UCONN wins the tourney without him. That said surviving in the modern NBA with that jump shot is tough but defensively he could be Pippenesque in his ability to guard 1-4. Very interesting prospect in terms of fit in the current league.

I like Jackson too - in fact I don't think UCONN wins the tourney without him. That said surviving in the modern NBA with that jump shot is tough but defensively he could be Pippenesque in his ability to guard 1-4. Very interesting prospect in terms of fit in the current league.

Yeah good pro prospect but unknown staying power or evolving from prospect to contributor.

Michigan looks like they just recruited themselves a guard and a side show.

That could be (she does refer to herself as Mama Bear), but she is (or was) very nice and easy to talk too. She was the one that gave me the Woody to Cuse intel back in their Team Takeover/EYBL playing days. His mom was known for making this very distinctive bird call noise anytime Efton was on the court playing. Back then she was hopeful he'd go to Virginia and stay close to home. Instead, he ended up at L$U and then most recently Gonzaga.

"It was just the family aspect of it," Reid told Demon Deacon Digest. "It felt like family. It was one of the best visits I've ever been on in my recruiting process. I felt instantly at home.

Being closer to my mom was a big part of the decision. I'm not going to say exactly what her health problems are, but she has some health problems to where I need to move closer to home. I'm only three hours away from her, so it gives me the opportunity to visit her and be there when I'm needed. It's just me, my mother and my brother."
Trying to set the table for a waiver.

Yeah good pro prospect but unknown staying power or evolving from prospect to contributor.
I think there is a place for Jackson in the NBA being that he is an elite defender, has better than good vision/passing ability and can finish at the basket. He is a lesser version of Ben Simmons minus the fear of finishing at the basket.

Last edited:
2 bigs we recruited in the past hit the portal - Ashton Smith and Lance Ware. I like Ware although he didn't fare well at UK.

2 bigs we recruited recently hit the portal - Ashton Smith and Lance Ware. I like Ware although he didn't fare well at UK.

Don't know much on Smith. Ware never seemed to figure things out even when given the opportunity.