2023-24 Portal Options | Page 112 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal Options

This was a highlight tape of Mccleod in HS back in 2018. You can certainly see where FSU and others were intrigued back then... seems he played faster back then than his FSU highlights.
Ehhhh, he’s very lucky he’s the height he is.

Last edited:
Ehhhh, he’s very like he’s the height he is.

Just getting at you could see potential there and some aggression. Fast forward and seems a less aggressive slower version...

I hear this but I don't see Red running zone for extended stretches. Others had said as much that know him better but Griff at Dayton as well as Red at VT... have to think or hoping too...
Reds zone will be very different. Guards will cover more area and less for forwards. It will flatten out with the forwards not playing so high. Similar to what Duke does. Takes less time to teach and fewer, crazy rotations.

Running down to last couple weeks. McLeod's the one. Getting a visit after he put his name in the portal a couple weeks ago is encouraging. He's probably motivated to get this completed and he wouldn't have made the visit if there wasn't serious interest on his part. Need to step up with our NIL and campus visit and close the deal.

The next bit of drama will be the PG spot and whether Mintz will return. I'm wondering if SU is telling a PG target to hold off until Mintz's status is known.
Lol at NIL for someone that was a non factor on Hamilton's worst FSU team. Everyone is not getting a check.

Appears to be Center by committee approach. Year one of a rebuild is never easy. I think we’ll have some pieces, but not enough to really move the program forward. It’s looking like a gap year as Red and the staff focuses on 2024 and beyond.

It will be interesting to see what happens after next season as it looks like there will have to be some roster turnover to make room for the recruits Red is chasing.

Appears to be Center by committee approach. Year one of a rebuild is never easy. I think we’ll have some pieces, but not enough to really move the program forward. It’s looking like a gap year as Red and the staff focuses on 2024 and beyond.

It will be interesting to see what happens after next season as it looks like there will have to be some roster turnover to make room for the recruits Red is chasing.

As far as I'm concerned an NIT bid is moving it forward. I think this is still a reasonable possibility. Not gonna be greedy here given the 2024 targets that shows an aggressive pursuit of a big talent upgrade.

Mccleod is serviceable and doesn't take away a big man platoon approach including Maliq with some weight on him. Focus needs to then shift all in to Judah or Judahs replacement.

Not gonna jump for joy by any stretch here either.

Yeah. Agreed. The one caveat here is that McLeod works with Judah at point.

He’s a much less attractive option if Judah is gone…but then again so are most of the centers we’re looking at.

I don't think this is what either of you are saying, but I could see McLeod / Hima working, in the role I envision for how Red likely plans to utilize them.

I.E., run the floor, anchor the press, block shots, in Hima's case be physical and rebound, and convert lobs and putbacks.

We sure aren't going to be running any plays for them, but I think they could be serviceable in that designated role, as you both point out. Probably moreso than many fans think.

I don't think this is what either of you are saying, but I could see McLeod / Hima working, in the role I envision for how Red likely plans to utilize them.

I.E., run the floor, anchor the press, block shots, in Hima's case be physical and rebound, and convert lobs and putbacks.

We sure aren't going to be running any plays for them, but I think they could be serviceable in that designated role, as you both point out. Probably moreso than many fans think.
I am not comparing their talent but I could see HimaMcLeod be used like a Clint Capella/Mitch Robinson types on offense. Set high screens and dive sometimes but mainly along the baseline in the dunker spot. No post ups. If Mintz/JJ/Westery can get into the lane there will be a ton of room for lobs and offensive rebounds.

I'd be more ok with McLeod if we didn't already have 3 project centers. McLeod might not be a project as much, but 4 scholarships being taken up by guys we aren't even sure can provide more than 10-15 minutes a game will not be an ideal situation. There isn't even much variation in their skill sets outside of maybe Carey's athleticism. Along with no turnover at F, this seems like a really bad way to build a frontcourt. It was a major weak spot last year and is only getting weaker.

We still have no strength or bulk anywhere on the roster, so this doesn't really help there either. Playing man with the group we have is likely going to be a tough go, though zone is probably worse (and certainly not what any of us want to see).

Why not go after some of the kids who have actually put up numbers in college and at least proven capable? There's no reason we shouldn't be going after the Utah Valley kid (Cal, Seton Hall, Cincy, Vandy, come on). Unless the plan is to play Malik at the 5 for 20+ a game, I'm not sure what we're doing here.

A couple of thoughts. Interest is a 2 way street. Maybe the staff is reaching out to some of these guys and they prefer to stay in the mountains/west coast zones. Also inquiries could be going through coaches, handlers or family. Not every contact may result in a tweet. Lastly I get that fans are parched for some success but really we need to give Red some room here. It's also possible that they believe some guys are not good fits. I think we give Red some room here. 2024 strategies are likely also being contemplated in context of transfers as well.

I'd be more ok with McLeod if we didn't already have 3 project centers. McLeod might not be a project as much, but 4 scholarships being taken up by guys we aren't even sure can provide more than 10-15 minutes a game will not be an ideal situation. There isn't even much variation in their skill sets outside of maybe Carey's athleticism. Along with no turnover at F, this seems like a really bad way to build a frontcourt. It was a major weak spot last year and is only getting weaker.

We still have no strength or bulk anywhere on the roster, so this doesn't really help there either. Playing man with the group we have is likely going to be a tough go, though zone is probably worse (and certainly not what any of us want to see).

Why not go after some of the kids who have actually put up numbers in college and at least proven capable? There's no reason we shouldn't be going after the Utah Valley kid (Cal, Seton Hall, Cincy, Vandy, come on). Unless the plan is to play Malik at the 5 for 20+ a game, I'm not sure what we're doing here.

My hope is that once the roster is settled - then we get the summer trip to get a look at the team, that we start to see the vision Red has with being "versatile". Between the frustrating run of being on the bubble to the past two years to now this change with so much unknown its hard to pin down an opinion and not second guess it right behind.

One thing I do like is that we have a good big man coach in Griff. He put the work in with Jesse and it paid off. He put the work in with Bourama and it almost paid off if not for injury. He helped the one kid at Dayton a ton... who sadly passed away far too young. So he clearly knows what he is doing working with these kids. Mccleod is in year 3 so project isn't really the right designation at this point. He isn't a 25 min plus a game starter either.

Trying to keep the faith that this group has both a vision and confidence in what they can get out of the guys they have and the guys they want.

The 24 and beyond recruiting is the biggest positive for me. We aren't chasing projects. That's a good sign. The staff is busting their tails getting on the road as well. Another good sign. It's all a whirlwind though