2023-24 Portal | Page 32 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal

LOL

People will laugh because it’s Bama but it’s something that 100% will and should be addressed. It’s borderline impossible to overstate the level of tampering going on right now with the players on Bama’s roster since Saban retired. Plenty of programs waited years for the day Saban stepped away and are being ruthless in trying to burn it to the ground while it’s vulnerable.

The precedent that’s being set if it doesn’t get addressed will not be good for college athletics. And I’m very much pro transfer portal and NIL.

People will laugh because it’s Bama but it’s something that 100% will and should be addressed. It’s borderline impossible to overstate the level of tampering going on right now with the players on Bama’s roster since Saban retired. Plenty of programs waited years for the day Saban stepped away and are being ruthless in trying to burn it to the ground while it’s vulnerable.

The precedent that’s being set if it doesn’t get addressed will not be good for college athletics. And I’m very much pro transfer portal and NIL.
This definitely affects the pecking order in the SEC. UGA, Texas are the top two. LSU and Ole Miss right behind them. Heck, Bama may drop to middle of the pack (at least for next year, I think DeBoer will do a decent job there).

We're supposed to feel bad that the portal opens before the playoffs are done and Alabama doesn't have the ability to 1) win in the playoffs, and 2) use their nearly-unlimited advantages over about 90% of the rest of college football to restock their team?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure people are laughing.

Now that Alabama is on the losing end of the situation, it's now that Josh Newberg identifies problems with the portal and college football.

This is nothing new. The only thing new is that it is affecting Alabama. No changes are going to be made because of how Alabama is being affected.

This definitely affects the pecking order in the SEC. UGA, Texas are the top two. LSU and Ole Miss right behind them. Heck, Bama may drop to middle of the pack (at least for next year, I think DeBoer will do a decent job there).

There’s going to be a drop off anytime you lose the best coach and program builder of all time but the new guy is pretty good. I mean I think he’s 7-0 the last two years against Sark, Lanning and Riley and he had the less talented group in each game. Bama will be fine long term.

We're supposed to feel bad that the portal opens before the playoffs are done and Alabama doesn't have the ability to 1) win in the playoffs, and 2) use their nearly-unlimited advantages over about 90% of the rest of college football to restock their team?
Yeah, I'm pretty sure people are laughing.

Now that Alabama is on the losing end of the situation, it's now that Josh Newberg identifies problems with the portal and college football.

I don’t know the answer to this but is there another example of a playoff team losing their coach after the year and then it’s open season for 30 days on their guys and they can’t replace them until after spring ball because almost every other program’s players can’t leave until April?

It’s not just because it happened to Bama. The same thing will probably happen to Michigan when/if Harbaugh leaves. And the precedent is being set that other programs can brazenly recruit players on Michigans roster during that 30 day window. It’s not good for the sport.

I don’t know the answer to this but is there another example of a playoff team losing their coach after the year and then it’s open season for 30 days on their guys and they can’t replace them until after spring ball because almost every other program’s players can’t leave until April?

It’s not just because it happened to Bama. The same thing will probably happen to Michigan when/if Harbaugh leaves. And the precedent is being set that other programs can brazenly recruit players on Michigans roster during that 30 day window. It’s not good for the sport.
If people think the portal was bad now, wait until April when many players find out they are 2nd or 3rd string going into the fall.

That brazen recruiting you speak of is already happening. Gadsden has gotten offers each of the last 2 years without being in the portal.
It is what it is and just because it may affect 2 specific teams, is not a reason why things should change.

This is nothing new. The only thing new is that it is affecting Alabama. No changes are going to be made because of how Alabama is being affected.

That brazen recruiting you speak of is already happening. Gadsden has gotten offers each of the last 2 years without being in the portal.
It is what it is and just because it may affect 2 specific teams, is not a reason why things should change.

I’m very aware of what typically goes on and how collectives use third party brokers to scout players and offer up options for positions of need to collectives then they work the back channels to get them in the portal and collect a % of the NIL package for their services. That’s nothing new and what’s been going on with the players in Tuscaloosa the past week goes way beyond that. Just one example is schools are offering Bama players $25k just to enter the portal. Again, that’s just one example and if stuff like that goes without any repercussions then you can expect the tampering to take off to levels way beyond what it is now.

And what Newberg alluded to and what should change is referring specifically to the concept of one school having their players open to be poached for 30 days while there is little to no staff in place to keep them and then no replacements available until after spring ball in April. That isn’t right and should be changed for all schools moving forward. It has nothing to do with Bama. It’s not fair to UW, Arizona, or any other school that will see coaching turnover once the portal closes.

If the NCAA makes changes to deal with “the Alabama Situation” then they need to account for the situation where a college coach leaves for the NFL after the NFL season is over and after the college season is over. The and result is the same unless I’m missing something.

The amount of amusement on Reddit about basically everyone leaving Alabama really gave me a smile.

I’m very aware of what typically goes on and how collectives use third party brokers to scout players and offer up options for positions of need to collectives then they work the back channels to get them in the portal and collect a % of the NIL package for their services. That’s nothing new and what’s been going on with the players in Tuscaloosa the past week goes way beyond that. Just one example is schools are offering Bama players $25k just to enter the portal. Again, that’s just one example and if stuff like that goes without any repercussions then you can expect the tampering to take off to levels way beyond what it is now.

And what Newberg alluded to and what should change is referring specifically to the concept of one school having their players open to be poached for 30 days while there is little to no staff in place to keep them and then no replacements available until after spring ball in April. That isn’t right and should be changed for all schools moving forward. It has nothing to do with Bama. It’s not fair to UW, Arizona, or any other school that will see coaching turnover once the portal closes.
Not sure why you have such sympathy for their situation. Are you saying the players should lose their right to enter the portal in those cases? Fairness to the players rather than protecting the “school” or in reality their fans.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom