2023-24 Portal | Page 33 | Syracusefan.com

2023-24 Portal

Not sure why you have such sympathy for their situation. Are you saying the players should lose their right to enter the portal in those cases? Fairness to the players rather than protecting the “school” or in reality their fans.

In my first post on this I said I was pro portal and pro NIL and I always have held that stance.

And I think the difference in our opinion on this is evident in you referring to it as “their” situation and I’m talking about the current dynamic for every school who loses their coach after the portal closes. Washington is going to get raided and Arizona will likely see a mass exodus and that’s not fair to them either. If you judge a rule/system based on your personal sentiment towards the party being impacted then you probably aren’t giving it reasonable thought.

Players should 100% be able to freely transfer and that is even more true if their coach leaves. The current dynamic of other schools having 30 days to freely poach a roster while a school either has no staff in place to retain or has a staff in transition while they know their players are stuck for another few months. Then that school having almost no pool of players to replenish your program with until after spring isn’t very well thought out. Just because the first case is Bama and people are happy to see them struggle shouldn’t prevent people from seeing that there should be a change to the process.

In my first post on this I said I was pro portal and pro NIL and I always have held that stance.

And I think the difference in our opinion on this is evident in you referring to it as “their” situation and I’m talking about the current dynamic for every school who loses their coach after the portal closes. Washington is going to get raided and Arizona will likely see a mass exodus and that’s not fair to them either. If you judge a rule/system based on your personal sentiment towards the party being impacted then you probably aren’t giving it reasonable thought.

Players should 100% be able to freely transfer and that is even more true if their coach leaves. The current dynamic of other schools having 30 days to freely poach a roster while a school either has no staff in place to retain or has a staff in transition while they know their players are stuck for another few months. Then that school having almost no pool of players to replenish your program with until after spring isn’t very well thought out. Just because the first case is Bama and people are happy to see them struggle shouldn’t prevent people from seeing that there should be a change to the process.
Ha, ha, I am not the one not giving it reasonable thought. Who do you think I am referring to when I said “their”? If you are pro portal like you say, then you shouldn’t be making the argument you are. You are talking double talk, neglecting the right of the players to find a new school in a timely manner when the coach leaves and making it subservient to protecting the interests of the school. It’s up to the school to find a new coach in a timely manner. If the players 100% have the right to transfer then you can’t put limitations on it and still call it 100%. Again it boils down to protecting the players rights vs limiting them to potentially benefit the schools. This is not professional sports. If a school has to wait until after Spring to “replenish” their program so what, too bad.

People will laugh because it’s Bama but it’s something that 100% will and should be addressed. It’s borderline impossible to overstate the level of tampering going on right now with the players on Bama’s roster since Saban retired. Plenty of programs waited years for the day Saban stepped away and are being ruthless in trying to burn it to the ground while it’s vulnerable.
Hmm, well, even Bama gets to learn that it sucks to suck.

Ha, ha, I am not the one not giving it reasonable thought. Who do you think I am referring to when I said “their”? If you are pro portal like you say, then you shouldn’t be making the argument you are. You are talking double talk, neglecting the right of the players to find a new school in a timely manner when the coach leaves and making it subservient to protecting the interests of the school. It’s up to the school to find a new coach in a timely manner. If the players 100% have the right to transfer then you can’t put limitations on it and still call it 100%. Again it boils down to protecting the players rights vs limiting them to potentially benefit the schools. This is not professional sports. If a school has to wait until after Spring to “replenish” their program so what, too bad.

I think it’s my fault for not being more clear in my post. When I said players should 100% be able to freely transfer I meant they should have the ability to transfer without having to sit. I did not mean that there should be zero rules or guidelines around the transfer process. I didn’t anticipate having to clarify to that degree, but continuing to read your post it sounds like that might be your stance.

Saying I support the portal and player movement but also think there should be rules and guidelines around it isn’t talking double talk. It’s just being rational.

Using your argument that if your pro transfer then there should be complete freedom then players should be able to switch teams mid season or transfer over to a playoff team once it’s set for a chance to win a ring. Anything preventing them from doing what they want is robbing players of their rights. I say that joking but maybe you agree with that?

This is pretty straightforward stuff that the situation isn’t good and that the NCAA didn’t have the foresight to anticipate what happens when a coach leaves after the portal closes. This will be proven true when there will be a change to the process because it’s too stupid of a dynamic to stand the test of time.

I think it’s my fault for not being more clear in my post. When I said players should 100% be able to freely transfer I meant they should have the ability to transfer without having to sit. I did not mean that there should be zero rules or guidelines around the transfer process. I didn’t anticipate having to clarify to that degree, but continuing to read your post it sounds like that might be your stance.

Saying I support the portal and player movement but also think there should be rules and guidelines around it isn’t talking double talk. It’s just being rational.

Using your argument that if your pro transfer then there should be complete freedom then players should be able to switch teams mid season or transfer over to a playoff team once it’s set for a chance to win a ring. Anything preventing them from doing what they want is robbing players of their rights. I say that joking but maybe you agree with that?

This is pretty straightforward stuff that the situation isn’t good and that the NCAA didn’t have the foresight to anticipate what happens when a coach leaves after the portal closes. This will be proven true when there will be a change to the process because it’s too stupid of a dynamic to stand the test of time.
I understood what you meant and no I am not saying anything like what you said in the second paragraph. And no the NCAA is not going to make any changes to when the coach leaves rule.
The double talk is when you said you are 100% for player rights and then say there should be limitations when in effect it may hurt some teams if players aren’t forced to stay. That is what is straightforward.
Again it’s too bad for the team that loses a coach, those are some of the breaks that happen every year, and again I am not sure why you have such sympathy for those teams at the expense of the players you want to trap there.

I understood what you meant and no I am not saying anything like what you said in the second paragraph. And no the NCAA is not going to make any changes to when the coach leaves rule.
The double talk is when you said you are 100% for player rights and then say there should be limitations when in effect it may hurt some teams if players aren’t forced to stay. That is what is straightforward.
Again it’s too bad for the team that loses a coach, those are some of the breaks that happen every year, and again I am not sure why you have such sympathy for those teams at the expense of the players you want to trap there.

I don’t know why you insist on using dramatic verbiage like “players you want to trap there” when I explicitly say I think they should be able to transfer if there’s a coaching change. There’s nothing wrong with an organization saying this is how it is, we found flaws, so let’s make adjustments. It’s what effective leadership does.

If anything, the double talk is you saying you think there should be guidelines around player movement in some scenarios but then in others you don’t.

You say it happens every year, and I don’t think that’s true. I think this is the first time there was a domino effect across multiple programs of a P5 program coach leaving after the portal closed and an asymmetrical 30 day portal window opened that resulted in programs being raided. And if/when Harbaugh leaves it will probably set off another domino effect. Rational leadership will make adjustments while still allowing players to transfer.

I can’t figure out if you’re just arguing to argue or if you don’t understand what’s being discussed. Either way, I’m ok with moving on and understanding we view this differently.

Bama's getting derailed this last week and half with all the recruits and players going into the portal. New HC and staff have their work cut out.
giphy.gif

I don’t know why you insist on using dramatic verbiage like “players you want to trap there” when I explicitly say I think they should be able to transfer if there’s a coaching change. There’s nothing wrong with an organization saying this is how it is, we found flaws, so let’s make adjustments. It’s what effective leadership does.

If anything, the double talk is you saying you think there should be guidelines around player movement in some scenarios but then in others you don’t.

You say it happens every year, and I don’t think that’s true. I think this is the first time there was a domino effect across multiple programs of a P5 program coach leaving after the portal closed and an asymmetrical 30 day portal window opened that resulted in programs being raided. And if/when Harbaugh leaves it will probably set off another domino effect. Rational leadership will make adjustments while still allowing players to transfer.

I can’t figure out if you’re just arguing to argue or if you don’t understand what’s being discussed. Either way, I’m ok with moving on and understanding we view this differently.
No, you are wrong. I am consistent and for the same rules. You want special exemptions so a power program is protected at the expense of a players ability to enter the portal in a timely manner. It’s as simple as that. Period.

Not sure why you have such sympathy for their situation. Are you saying the players should lose their right to enter the portal in those cases? Fairness to the players rather than protecting the “school” or in reality their fans.
If coaches can leave anytime they want, the players should have the right to leave when their coach leaves.

Feels like a big game of musical chairs, and Washington is going to be the one without a seat.

Or maybe Arizona.

A huge slew of current Arizona Wildcats, including potential Heisman candidate QB Noah Fifita and all American WR Tetairoa McMillan, came onto the basketball court during a TV timeout today to announce they were staying at Arizona. Nice to see this up and coming program won't be gutted by the Judas Fisch departure.

Of the 9 in the portal, I imagine at least a few end up returning and did so just to explore their options. Jonah Coleman is likely the best one who will go, but he's a RB and is very replaceable on that roster.

A huge slew of current Arizona Wildcats, including potential Heisman candidate QB Noah Fifita and all American WR Tetairoa McMillan, came onto the basketball court during a TV timeout today to announce they were staying at Arizona. Nice to see this up and coming program won't be gutted by the Judas Fisch departure.

Of the 9 in the portal, I imagine at least a few end up returning and did so just to explore their options. Jonah Coleman is likely the best one who will go, but he's a RB and is very replaceable on that roster.
Judas, that’s a bit much

Judas, that’s a bit much
It's about the way he left. Everyone understands the why.

His meeting with the Arizona players on his way out the door was 3 minutes. 180 seconds. He was tampering with players not in the portal.

Regardless, point being seems like 80%+ of those players are sticking together, a nice thing these days

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom