2023 MLB Season | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

A bunch of Dodger blue in town for the weekend series. Looking forward to seeing Bobby Miller for the first time tonight. Kershaw game sold out tomorrow!

Go Mariners! :)

Fair enough. Once you've lived here for a while, it's easy to cultivate a healthy dislike for things Toronto.

The Blue Jays actually have a pretty decent fanbase in Western Canada based on TV ratings. I assume some got into the baseball team that is on TV every day and gets the media exposure because it is the only Canadian team, rather than a love for the city of Toronto itself.

The Western Canadian fans travel really well for Jays games that are closest to the border - Minnesota and Seattle... and even this year in Colorado. I'm sure Cuseattle can attest to the annual Jays fan invasion in Seattle.

I personally liked the Jays as a kid until about 1989, started to really hate them with a passion after that as I sided with the Expos until the Expos left. Was never really into them when I lived in Toronto, but in the last 10 years or so I started to slowly become a bigger fan. I would say I'm a pretty big fan of them now, but this year's team is extremely frustrating.

Last edited:
The Blue Jays actually have a pretty healthy fanbase in Western Canada based on TV ratings. I assume some got into the baseball team that was on TV every day and gets the media exposure because it is the only Canadian team, rather than a love for the city of Toronto itself.

The Western Canadian fans travel really well for Jays games that are closest to the border - Minnesota and Seattle... and even this year in Colorado. I'm sure Cuseattle can attest to the annual Jays fan invasion in Seattle.

I personally liked the Jays as a kid until about 1989, started to really hate them with a passion after that as I sided with the Expos until the Expos left. Was never really into them when I lived in Toronto, but in the last 10 years or so I started to slowly become a bigger fan. I would say I'm a pretty big fan of them now, but this year's team is extremely frustrating.
They have a huge turnout every year. Maybe seven years ago, they were here on Canada Day, and the stadium was a sea of red. Great for downtown hotels and restaurants.
I would guess they number 15,000 strong in recent years.
Can't forget to order extra clamato to for all the Caesars!

That was an incredible accomplishment but the season record that will never ever be touched are complete games by Will White with 75 in 1879 and modern era Jack Chesbro 48 in 1904.
I also don’t see anyone beating Hack Wilson’s 191 RBIs, although it’s theoretically possible. Stolen base records look unbreakable as well, given the modern game.

This AL West / Wildcard Race is insane... frustrating... crazy (insert word). All the teams have had recent bad stretches, and can't seem to get going.

Texas had been in control of the West then went on 5-17 (or close to that) run to fall into third place. They then walked into Toronto and swept them. Now lose two in a row to Cleveland

Seattle has an epic run in August and goes from near deadline sellers to first place for a few days... but now they are struggling a bit.

Houston who is the best on paper, seems to finally cease control of the division and then has series against the hapless A's and Royals. They are 1-4 against those two "MLB" teams this week.

Toronto was at 80% to get in the playoffs (via WC) per fangraphs starting this week. Fall to 34% after getting swept. But now they win 2 in a row, and all the teams in West lose both games this weekend, and they are back at 65%.

And I'm not following the race for that final spot that closely in the NL, but it is a 4 team logjam as well. Some good (well at least entertaining) September baseball to close the season.

It's a good thing for Vladi, Jr he can hit, because he's dumb as a post and might otherwise starve to death.

I'm not sure if Vlad is dumb or not - but he does some really stupid things out there on the basepaths. He also at times shows some good awareness or clever things at first defensively - which is a head scratcher.

The whole team plays stupid baseball and is awful at baserunning. Vlad just fits in.

This is a list I complied on a Jays board I am on. This all happened in the sixth inning or later. By the time Vlad pulled the boner in the 13th I thought Buck Martinez was going to have an aneurysm. Thankfully the Red Sox CFer pulled off the biggest boner of the game by misplaying what should have been the final out of the game in the 9th.

Starting from the 6th
Kirk stupidly going for a double and getting caught
Chris Bassitt making a nonsense pickoff throw to first almost leading to a run.
Chapman and Espinal not PH for in the 7th.
Espinal not pinch hit for again, and again, and again.
Bo Bichette not tagging up at 3rd properly on the fly to Verdugo
Whit being a tad slow reacting to Kirk's lin, and getting doubled off second.
Bo Bichette not getting up the plate in time putting him down 0-1 in a crucial at bat.
Vlad not tagging up at second in the 13th.

The team just plays stupid baseball as a whole except for Daulton Varsho, Kevin Keirmaier and a few others. But they can't hit.

The game I went to in late August had Santiago Espinal swing at a 3-0 pitch with runners on first and second in a crucial at bat. An inning earlier (or later) Cavan Biggio and somebody did a double steal on a 3-0 count which is about the dumbest thing I have seen.

Ok. Here we go.
Houston, Texas, and Seattle all won today. If the Yankees can beat Toronto tonight, there will be a three game tie atop The AL Wild Card standings.
Screenshot_20230920-152600.png

Orioles fans, Kyle Bradish has been really really good since June maybe the best piycher in the AL.. That said, is there any pitcher more frustrating that Fujinami. He's either lights out or literally can't throw a strike if his life depended on it. He is the most jekyl and hyde pitcher I have ever witnessed. Bradish was masterful yesterday. In comes Fuji in the 8th with a 1-0 lead, throws 13 pitches, 2 strikes, walks 2 and puts the O's in a brutal position. You just can't have him on the playoff roster, he's just to wild. Tremendously talented but has no control.

Orioles fans, Kyle Bradish has been really really good since June maybe the best piycher in the AL.. That said, is there any pitcher more frustrating that Fujinami. He's either lights out or literally can't throw a strike if his life depended on it. He is the most jekyl and hyde pitcher I have ever witnessed. Bradish was masterful yesterday. In comes Fuji in the 8th with a 1-0 lead, throws 13 pitches, 2 strikes, walks 2 and puts the O's in a brutal position. You just can't have him on the playoff roster, he's just to wild. Tremendously talented but has no control.
Fuji is solid in low pressure situations. He's awful in a big spot. They can't trust him in the playoffs.

I don’t even remember Maddux playing for the Dodgers.
Actually traded for him at the deadline in 2 different seasons when gearing up for playoff runs. Both in 2006 and 2008.

Actually traded for him at the deadline in 2 different seasons when gearing up for playoff runs. Both in 2006 and 2008.
Well, I know it didn’t help much in 2006…

After a 2-17 stretch, I benched Manny Machado in my fantasy playoffs and he goes 4-4 with 2 HRs.

I didn’t think it was possible to dislike him any more than I already did, but this ups the ante.

It is frustrating, but I am going to focus on 1) Means seems like he can be their ace in the playoff, and 2) Rodriquez appears to be well on his way to becoming who they thought he could be. With Bradish, that gives a solid 1-3 for the playoffs. That’s a far cry from what folks were thinking as recently as August.
Losing Mount Felix at the back end has really upended the bullpen and put some guys (Fujinami, for one) in spots they are not suited for.
But hey, the O’s are going to be playing in October!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom