2023 MLB Season | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

2023 MLB Season

Lemme see, players I remember watching as a kid ... Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Pete Rose, Don Drysdale, Roberto Clemente, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, Joe Morgan, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Catfish Hunter, Lou Brock, Harmon Killebrew, Luis Aparicio, Brooks Robinson, Juan Marichal, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Eddie Matthews, Whitey Ford, Willie McCovey, Warren Spahn, Bill Mazeroski, Willie Stargell, Jim Palmer, Orlando Cepeda ...

How am I doin? :)
…….I too watched Nolan Ryan as a kid.

Lemme see, players I remember watching as a kid ... Willie Mays, Mickey Mantle, Sandy Koufax, Pete Rose, Don Drysdale, Roberto Clemente, Tom Seaver, Nolan Ryan, Frank Robinson, Reggie Jackson, Rod Carew, Joe Morgan, Carl Yastrzemski, Johnny Bench, Billy Williams, Ernie Banks, Catfish Hunter, Lou Brock, Harmon Killebrew, Luis Aparicio, Brooks Robinson, Juan Marichal, Hank Aaron, Bob Gibson, Al Kaline, Eddie Matthews, Whitey Ford, Willie McCovey, Warren Spahn, Bill Mazeroski, Willie Stargell, Jim Palmer, Orlando Cepeda ...

How am I doin? :)

They didn't all debut in one year. I could make a similar list for this era.

They didn't all debut in one year. I could make a similar list for this era.

I didn't say they did. I said I watched them play when I was a kid. And I don't think there's any comparable era. Just IMHO. :)

I didn't say they did. I said I watched them play when I was a kid. And I don't think there's any comparable era. Just IMHO. :)

I grew up with those guys, too. But the top players of this age will look as good in a few years, (perhaps to someone else). I think an amazing number and quality of talents seem to be entering the game right now.

I agree the young talent coming in is remarkable. Their athleticism is enhanced by better diet and year-round training. While batting averages are down and strikeouts are up, these players are doing incredible things. Otani is obviously a once in a lifetime player and I never thought I would see a 30-60 year like Acuna has done (with a chance or 40-60).

Where I think this generation is lacking compared to the guys I grew up with is pitcher durability. The guys of the 70s-80s threw a lot more innings (4-man rotations and less bullpen specialization) but the thing that jumps out at me is the length of some of their careers. Guys like Carlton, Ryan, Palmer and Seaver all pitched for 15-20+ years and did it at a high level. Heck Palmer had a stretch where he won 20 games 8 out of 9 years. And I fully admit I will never be able to be unbiased for Seaver. Everyone has “their guy” they grew up watching who was bigger than life. Tom will always be that guy for me.

Now we have incredible pitching talents like deGrom and Strausburg who break down early and often. Or there are guys who have a great year or two then fade. It seems like Scherzer and Verlander are the only ones I can think of who continue to pitch well after 15 years.

Every generation is different, but I suppose you are always partial to the guys you grew up watching.

Last edited:
I agree the young talent coming in is remarkable. Their athleticism is enhanced by better diet and year-round training. While batting averages are down and strikeouts are up, these players are doing incredible things. Otani is obviously a once in a lifetime layer and I never thought I would see a 30-60 year like Acuna has done (with a chance or 40-60).

Where I think this generation is lacking compared to the guys I grew up with is pitcher durability. The guys of the 70s-80s threw a lot more innings (4-man rotations and less bullpen specialization) but the thing that jumps out at me is the length of some of their careers. Guys like Carlton, Ryan, Palmer and Seaver all pitched for 15-20+ years and did it at a high level. Heck Palmer had a stretch where he won 20 games 8 out of 9 years. And I fully admit I will never be able to be unbiased for Seaver. Everyone has “their guy” they grew up watching who was bigger than life. Tom will always be that guy for me.

Now we have incredible pitching talents like deGrom and Strausburg who break down early and often. Or there are guys who have a great year or two then fade. It seems like Scherzer and Verlander are the only ones I can think of who continue to pitch well after 15 years.

Every generation is different, but I suppose you are always partial to the guys you grew up watching.
I was a big Palmer guy. They always said the Orioles paid the people with the house behind old Memorial stadium to keep it white, because Palmer’s pitching motion brought the ball right out of the white background.
The O’ s four 20 game winners in one season is the most unbreakable record in baseball.

Trea Turner went on paternity leave today, 9 months to the day after signing his $300 million contract with the Phillies

I remember Buck Showalter getting into it with a player about that when he was with the Yankees. I also recall Skip Bayless making an ass of himself with an airport confrontation with the player.

On my local baseball broadcasts, on Root Sports here, there are in-game ten second advertisements during at bats. Maybe one per inning currently, but I imagine more are coming after they acclimate the viewers to it.

On my local baseball broadcasts, on Root Sports here, there are in-game ten second advertisements during at bats. Maybe one per inning currently, but I imagine more are coming after they acclimate the viewers to it.
If they cut down on commercials between innings, I’d consider it possibly being acceptable.

Otherwise, that’s completely ridiculous.

And….I’m sure it’ll be “otherwise”.

Yeah, I noticed a while ago they were sneaking them in between pitches. The games are proceeding much faster, so there's less time to get in the same number of commercials as they did under the old regimen. Probably should have seen it coming.
noidea.gif

The Dodgers pitching situation is absolutely unbelievable. Our only good starter is a rookie who came up mid season.

Everybody else is hurt. Or on administrative leave. May, Gonsolin, Buehler, Urias all done for the year and Kershaw dealing with a shoulder injury.

Shame too, because the lineup is raking.

I was a big Palmer guy. They always said the Orioles paid the people with the house behind old Memorial stadium to keep it white, because Palmer’s pitching motion brought the ball right out of the white background.
The O’ s four 20 game winners in one season is the most unbreakable record in baseball.

That was an incredible accomplishment but the season record that will never ever be touched are complete games by Will White with 75 in 1879 and modern era Jack Chesbro 48 in 1904.

Seattle I can get behind. Toronto, not so much.

Don't need to worry about Toronto... they took care of it themselves via a brutal 4 game sweep at home against Texas (losing by a cumulative score of 35-9!). One of the most pathetic series I have ever seen.

Starting the week 1.5 games ahead of Texas, now 2.5 games behind them (+ they have tiebreaker). Playoff odds per Fangraphs fell from 79% before the series to now at 34%.

Best hope for Toronto is that one of Seattle or Texas takes it hard to the other (I.e one takes 6 out of 7).

Seattle I can get behind. Toronto, not so much.
Had a great time there watching my Dodgers and bantering with their fans a good 7-8 years ago, and playing in Buffalo during the COVID season and formerly having their AAA team in Syracuse, and being within driving distance has generally made them feel somewhat local, so I generally lightly root for them.

Had a great time there watching my Dodgers and bantering with their fans a good 7-8 years ago, and playing in Buffalo during the COVID season and formerly having their AAA team in Syracuse, and being within driving distance has generally made them feel somewhat local, so I generally lightly root for them.

Fair enough. Once you've lived here for a while, it's easy to cultivate a healthy dislike for things Toronto.

A bunch of Dodger blue in town for the weekend series. Looking forward to seeing Bobby Miller for the first time tonight. Kershaw game sold out tomorrow!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom