2023 New Balance All-America Games: July 27-30 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2023 New Balance All-America Games: July 27-30

I think saying you "don't value it" is a bit over the top. I mean you may disagree completely and you pointed out reasons why which is obviously fine but saying you don't value an opinion because its coming form a certain poster (even you may think that internally) is taking a bit of a personal shot.

As for Millon hard to say right now, UVA has a lot of talent right now and there's only so much time to be had. It seems like he may get a shot to run with Schellenberger and Cormier at attack. Doesn't look like Shutz is gonna move to attack. UVA also brought in that D3 attack transfer so does he push Millon to the second mid line? Gonna be some unhappy guys next spring no matter what.

I don't think Tiffany can get him to agree to a RS like he has with other top guys. Interesting to see where Colsey's son fits in, lots of rumbligns he was unhappy that SU didn't recruit him harder but he redshirted last season and hasn't really been mentioned as a guy who is looking at time with the top 9.
only 2 guys have spots right now imo, shellenberger and cormier. schutz somewhere in the top 6. the rest will play out. the top 6 was pre-ordained last year, even as schutz/dickson was an att/mid question until late (both were nicked up for a lot of the fall).

the hoos have taken to the practice of redshirting lately, and i'm not a fan of it. but terenzi and morris are the only guys that i'm aware took him up on it. schutz didn't. shellenberger and dickson (and mencke) their idea. colsey and shroter could've come from either direction.

Last edited:
only 2 guys have spots right now imo, shellenberger and cormier. schutz somewhere in the top 6. the rest will play out. the top 6 was pre-ordained last year, even as schutz/dickson was an att/mid question until late (both were nicked up for a lot of the fall).

the hoos have taken to the practice of redshirting lately, and i'm not a fan of it. but terenzi and morris are the only guys that i'm aware took him up on it. schutz didn't. shellenberger and dickson (and mencke) their idea. colsey and shroter could've come from either direction.

Ya it seems like UVA's top 6 could go in a lot of different directions, lot's of pieces returning (still hoping Cormier passes on that 5th year) and multiple new faces including several top end recruits and obviously Millon. Rumblings from what I read and heard was that Schutz was likely to stay at midfield as the top returner and a guy who will clearly draw a pole. With the D3 transfer (Boyden)m McIntosh and Millon plus a couple others who red-shirted or barely saw time being attack guys I think that makes the most sense.

Beyond those three as you noted it seems up in the air. I am assuming Sunderland and McIntosh will definitely be somewhere in the top 6 but Millon running 2nd mid line wouldn't' be a huge surprise.

Ya it seems like UVA's top 6 could go in a lot of different directions, lot's of pieces returning (still hoping Cormier passes on that 5th year) and multiple new faces including several top end recruits and obviously Millon. Rumblings from what I read and heard was that Schutz was likely to stay at midfield as the top returner and a guy who will clearly draw a pole. With the D3 transfer (Boyden)m McIntosh and Millon plus a couple others who red-shirted or barely saw time being attack guys I think that makes the most sense.

Beyond those three as you noted it seems up in the air. I am assuming Sunderland and McIntosh will definitely be somewhere in the top 6 but Millon running 2nd mid line wouldn't' be a huge surprise.
for me, really no idea after the top 3 guys for > 6. cormier announced a month ago he's back.

mcintosh will be in the top 9/10 somewhere, as will sunderland and likely boyden and terenzi. that's 7.

miezan they haven't announced yet. cory is back and may sneak into the rotating 2nd line again. others colsey, mencke and frosh @ least millon and maybe burt will compete for time if not shirted.

for me, really no idea after the top 3 guys for > 6. cormier announced a month ago he's back.

mcintosh will be in the top 9/10 somewhere, as will sunderland and likely boyden and terenzi. that's 7.

miezan they haven't announced yet. cory is back and may sneak into the rotating 2nd line again. others colsey, mencke and frosh @ least millon and maybe burt will compete for time if not shirted.

Ya I know he announced hoping he changes his mind, lol.

Miezan needs NCAA approval for another year, little I heard about it was that it was a long shot but not impossible.

Odds are it's going to be one of Millon/Sunderland/Boyden for that third attack spot, with the other two likely playing midfield. I think it's more likely it will be one of the first two rather than Boyden, who is mostly an off-ball guy (Cormier already is a great finisher even if he is also a capable dodger). Boyden is great, but you would expect guys who are top 2 recruits in their respective classes and more versatile to beat out a DIII transfer.

Sunderland has more experience, and is probably more versatile as a guy who can play secondary qb or be a hybrid dodger/finisher like Cormier. But Millon is probably the more dynamic dodger if he can adapt quickly to give UVA that true dual-qb look that they had with Moore/Kraus and then Moore/Shellenberger.

Odds are it's going to be one of Millon/Sunderland/Boyden for that third attack spot, with the other two likely playing midfield. I think it's more likely it will be one of the first two rather than Boyden, who is mostly an off-ball guy (Cormier already is a great finisher even if he is also a capable dodger). Boyden is great, but you would expect guys who are top 2 recruits in their respective classes and more versatile to beat out a DIII transfer.

Sunderland has more experience, and is probably more versatile as a guy who can play secondary qb or be a hybrid dodger/finisher like Cormier. But Millon is probably the more dynamic dodger if he can adapt quickly to give UVA that true dual-qb look that they had with Moore/Kraus and then Moore/Shellenberger.
how much have u seen of boyden? i've seen one game and a hi-light film. and that he had over 130 assists the last 2 years he got run at attack. i expected dickson wouldn't be the best good mix last year for the exact same reason. turned out i was wrong.

a smart team bases their personnel decisions based on hoo does what today, not what they were ranked in high school or that they're a d3 transfer. boyden maybe wasn't ready then, even if he went to ontario college high school instead of the miaa to get ranked.

was a little underwhelmed with sunderland, but i suspect it'll be a spirited tryout for the position. possible a 4th guy gets run also. and there's a new coordinator, so we'll see.

how much have u seen of boyden? i've seen one game and a hi-light film. and that he had over 130 assists the last 2 years he got run at attack. i expected dickson wouldn't be the best good mix last year for the exact same reason. turned out i was wrong.

a smart team bases their personnel decisions based on hoo does what today, not what they were ranked in high school or that they're a d3 transfer. boyden maybe wasn't ready then, even if he went to ontario college high school instead of the miaa to get ranked.

was a little underwhelmed with sunderland, but i suspect it'll be a spirited tryout for the position. possible a 4th guy gets run also. and there's a new coordinator, so we'll see.

Random thought, but if the top offensive nine is some combination of the following -

Attack: Shellenberger, Cormier, Sunderland
Midfield 1: Shutz, Boyden, McIntosh
Midfield 2: Tierenzi, Millon, Colsey

Is that one too many natural attackmen? In this age of "position-less offense" maybe it doesn't matter, but by my count, Boyden, McIntosh, Millon and Colsey are all "natural" attackmen. That leaves them with only two players who could be considered true midfielders (Shutz and Tierenzi). Maybe it doesn't matter but seems risky to have that many guys who could be considered liabilities on defense, and who might be learning a new position.

Last random thought, but right after '21 championship game Tiffany was pretty confident Schutz would be moved to attack. That of course didn't happen as Dickson beat him out for the spot. Curious if Tiffany thinks that ship has sailed or he revisits Schutz at attack. I think given all the other attackmen on the roster he's more apt to play one of the others down there. My guess is given the success Dickson had down low that Boyden will be the guy.

Is Garno coming back? He has a year of eligibility left. He and Miezan seem to be the wild cards for the offense. Tiffany has said in the past that Tierenzi could be a Ryan Conrad type player. Pretty heady stuff, curious if that comes to fruition.

Random thought, but if the top offensive nine is some combination of the following -

Attack: Shellenberger, Cormier, Sunderland
Midfield 1: Shutz, Boyden, McIntosh
Midfield 2: Tierenzi, Millon, Colsey

Is that one too many natural attackmen? In this age of "position-less offense" maybe it doesn't matter, but by my count, Boyden, McIntosh, Millon and Colsey are all "natural" attackmen. That leaves them with only two players who could be considered true midfielders (Shutz and Tierenzi). Maybe it doesn't matter but seems risky to have that many guys who could be considered liabilities on defense, and who might be learning a new position.

Last random thought, but right after '21 championship game Tiffany was pretty confident Schutz would be moved to attack. That of course didn't happen as Dickson beat him out for the spot. Curious if Tiffany thinks that ship has sailed or he revisits Schutz at attack. I think given all the other attackmen on the roster he's more apt to play one of the others down there. My guess is given the success Dickson had down low that Boyden will be the guy.

Is Garno coming back? He has a year of eligibility left. He and Miezan seem to be the wild cards for the offense. Tiffany has said in the past that Tierenzi could be a Ryan Conrad type player. Pretty heady stuff, curious if that comes to fruition.
sure, maybe. i worry less about getting caught on d nowadays than pushing att upfield that aren't used to operating well above the cage. to that end, i don't know hoo has that experience and can do it well. other than:
- mcintosh been a mid for 2 years and seems comfortable taking shorties and can be a stretch shooter.
- the rest, a mystery. boyden did play i believe 1 1/2 years @ mid.

miezan may be back and other than that only other options are inderlied, myers and some incoming frosh. burt is one of those options.

as zack said, garno is going to play golf at i think villanova. so him, mcconvey and conner (and maybe miezan) gone as natural mids in the rotation.

i wanted to see shellenberger up high again a lot more often in '23 and maybe that'll happen in '24.

sure, maybe. i worry less about getting caught on d nowadays than pushing att upfield that aren't used to operating well above the cage. to that end, i don't know hoo has that experience and can do it well. other than:
- mcintosh been a mid for 2 years and seems comfortable taking shorties and can be a stretch shooter.
- the rest, a mystery. boyden did play i believe 1 1/2 years @ mid.

miezan may be back and other than that only other options are inderlied, myers and some incoming frosh. burt is one of those options.

as zack said, garno is going to play golf at i think villanova. so him, mcconvey and conner (and maybe miezan) gone as natural mids in the rotation.

i wanted to see shellenberger up high again a lot more often in '23 and maybe that'll happen in '24.
Mencke has been pushing for time the last 2 years as well, wouldn't be surprised to see him sneak into the lineup

Notre Dame seems to have loaded up pretty good with
Brock Behrman, Salisbury (Conn.), Notre Dame
Andrew Greenspan, Brunswick (Conn.), Notre Dame
Shawn Lyght, Seton Hall Prep (N.J.), Notre Dame

Behrman is pretty quick and talented, but a bit on the small side. Hard to know how much time he will get this coming spring with Pat Kavanagh returning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom