2024 New York Mets Thread | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

2024 New York Mets Thread

You can't have your 1-2 hitters basically hitting .100, the DH hitting zero and the guy with a batting title has like 2 hits all spring.

How does Martinez fix all those issues at the same time.

good news, the starters pitched 3 of the 4 games well enough to give you a chance.

8 runs in four games and 6 of those were in 1 game. One shutout and two 1-run games. When is Martinez coming because the Mets need some help.

Nimmo and Lindor .063. McNeill .083. Martinez .000..

Would just be a Mets thing to do having the most expensive roster to lose 100 games.. assuming no one else has ever had this big of a payroll for such a bad team.

If the present isn't pleasant, you can always look at the past. Meet the 1963 Mets, (also not pleasant but at least it's nostalgic):

At the 18 minute mark, George Weiss and Casey Stengel discuss having a poor triple a team in Syracuse in 1962 but their new team in Buffalo in 1963 will have more players that could help the big club. That's right, the original triple a team for the Mets was the Syracuse Chiefs!

Last edited:
Frustrating to watch this offense. So many innings begin with a runner getting on first. So many innings, the runner is not moved to second.

No situational hitting. Players get ahead in the count and instead of taking a walk, swing at high fastballs out of the strike zone and pop up or strike out.

Alvarez looks terrific. Hitting it hard a lot. Showing far better plate discipline than veterans like Alonso.

Alonso has at least shown a willingness to go opposite field on outside pitches. He is best when he hits to all fields. Hope he remembers that.

Encouraged by Marte, who is hitting some balls hard and look close to his old self.

Baty looks good. I hope management gives him the chance to play every day at 3B. He has a really nice swing.

DJ Stewart should never have made the team and I hope he gets released when JD Martinez is ready. I suspect he will.

Vientos was our best hitter in spring training (5 HRs) and is killing it in Syracuse. Unfortunate his path to playing time is blocked by JD. I would just as soon devote this year to seeing what the kids can do. Hopefully JD can serve as an alternate to the hitting coach, who is not helping the team early.

Bader is off to a bad start. Has missed a number of chances to make good plays in CF. And has looked helpless against a simple curve ball. Like Bartolo Colon, only moreso. It looks to me as though he is trying to hit home runs. It would be better if he just tried to make good contact.

Expecting Drew Gilbert to take his place in CF sometime by the end of the year.

I remember when Jeff McNeil was first called up to the Mets. He was on top of everything. Hit the ball hard very consistently. And he stayed close to that level for a couple of years. Last year, he was lost most of the year. Struggled to get above .200 for most of the season. Finally found it and got hot late to get his average near .270. He is lost again. His swing speed is way down and he almost never makes solid contact. Hope he finds himself soon. Acuna is not far away in Syracuse and Jett Williams is just behind him.

I know he had a bicep injury in the spring. It looks like there is still something very wrong.

Manaea looked really good last night. His control was on point. It is a shame he did not get a win.

Could be one of those years it is better to watch the team in Syracuse than the one in Queens.

…Baty looks good. I hope management gives him the chance to play every day at 3B. He has a really nice swing…

Could be one of those years it is better to watch the team in Syracuse than the one in Queens.

Baty proving he’s an everyday third baseman would be huge for future roster construction. Hopefully last year was just due to lost confidence, I remember him at Binghamton thinking he had a lot of upside. So far, so good…

How key guys in Syracuse and Binghamton do is going to give a lot of insight into the likelihood of success in future seasons…I’m definitely more interested in the minors this year for that reason.

The Mets finally score three runs after 19 consecutive scoreless innings :) - and then get 6 more scoreless innings and lose 3-6 in 11 innings. :(

Nimmo and Lindor are now batting .050 and McNeil .067.

The Mets finally score three runs after 19 consecutive scoreless innings :) - and then get 6 more scoreless innings and lose 3-6 in 11 innings. :(

Nimmo and Lindor are now batting .050 and McNeil .067.

Those numbers dropping as 0-6 is looming. Yikes

Those numbers dropping as 0-6 is looming. Yikes
13 straight innings without a hit. Brutal watching these guys struggle to hit a foul ball.

Props to Pete for getting the big game tying HR and to Tyrone Taylor for getting the game winner. Brett Baty worked out a walk to keep the rally going.

Jose Butto struggled with control warly
But held it together and gave the Mets 6 quality innings to keep them in the nightcap.
I think it is time to make him part of the starting rotation.

Please don’t put Mike ‘Gulf of Tonkin’ in any more games unless the Mets are winning or losing by at least 5 runs. Good God!

Sad thing is the starters have been mostly decent other than the 1 start..

Hitting was sad all spring and even worse now.

if the McNeil/Lindor/Nimmo group were hitting even .200 we probably go 3-3 to start.

Diaz strikes out the final guy vs. the Reds with a runner on 2nd! 2-5, baby!

But we got only 4 hits. Alonso and Alvarez were 0 for 9 and Lindor is now batting .038: 1 for 24, (He got a single Saturday). Nimmo didn't play. McNeil got a hit and is now batting .105. Quintana went 5.2 after 4.2 last time and gave up only 1 run despite 4 walks. Diaz didn't give up a hit but gave up a run due to an error, a walk and sac fly. But he got the big K when he needed it.

Diaz strikes out the final guy vs. the Reds with a runner on 2nd! 2-5, baby!

But we got only 4 hits. Alonso and Alvarez were 0 for 9 and Lindor is now batting .038: 1 for 24, (He got a single Saturday). Nimmo didn't play. McNeil got a hit and is now batting .105. Quintana went 5.2 after 4.2 last time and gave up only 1 run despite 4 walks. Diaz didn't give up a hit but gave up a run due to an error, a walk and sac fly. But he got the big K when he needed it.
Nice to get to two wins in a row. We unfortunately had do use our 4 best relievers to get this one done.

Going to be tough when Severino comes out tomorrow.

Happy to see Jeff McNeil get a home run.

Just wanted to note that the starting pitcher for the Tigers in that nightcap of the doubleheader where the Mets got their first win was named Matt Manning.

Watching him pitch, I kept thinking who does this guy remind me of?

And then someone, I think Gary Cohen, said it. ‘Matt’s father was a terrific basketball player for Syracuse and later the University of Washington.’

He didn’t beat the Mets but pitched well against them. 0 runs in 5 2/3 innings. 3 hits and 4 walks allowed.

1712407207837.jpeg

Just wanted to note that the starting pitcher for the Tigers in that nightcap of the doubleheader where the Mets got their first win was named Matt Manning.

Watching him pitch, I kept thinking who does this guy remind me of?

And then someone, I think Gary Cohen, said it. ‘Matt’s father was a terrific basketball player for Syracuse and later the University of Washington.’

He didn’t beat the Mets but pitched well against them. 0 runs in 5 2/3 innings. 3 hits and 4 walks allowed.

View attachment 239655

Richard and Dave Siock were the consolation prize for not getting Alonzo Mourning, who went to Georgetown. Just like Madei Williams and Malik Campbell were the consolation prizes for not getting Michael Vick for the football team a decade later. Sometimes the gap between your #1 target and your #2 target is so great that there really isn't a #2 target.

Richard and Dave Siock were the consolation prize for not getting Alonzo Mourning, who went to Georgetown. Just like Madei Williams and Malik Campbell were the consolation prizes for not getting Michael Vick for the football team a decade later. Sometimes the gap between your #1 target and your #2 target is so great that there really isn't a #2 target.
Manning actually turned out to be a very solid college player. He had a fine career at UW.

If memory serves, a big reason he left was because we brought in LeRon Ellis as a transfer from UK after one of their many major scandals.

Not sure LeRon was better than Richard. I bet we would have been better off to pass on him and keep Richard.

That also presumably would have prevented Richard from squealing to the NCAA about NCAA violations.

In an alternate universe, Richard has a Syracuse degree, we never went on probation and we win the NC in 1990.

Manning actually turned out to be a very solid college player. He had a fine career at UW.

If memory serves, a big reason he left was because we brought in LeRon Ellis as a transfer from UK after one of their many major scandals.

Not sure LeRon was better than Richard. I bet we would have been better off to pass on him and keep Richard.

That also presumably would have prevented Richard from squealing to the NCAA about NCAA violations.

In an alternate universe, Richard has a Syracuse degree, we never went on probation and we win the NC in 1990.

I still remember Richard blowing the lay-up that allowed Providence to beat us for the first time sine the Big East was formed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom